1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Exeter

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 31, 2016.

1. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Having a shot or 2 of Woods so to put me down for the night. :emoticon-0127-lipss :emoticon-0167-beer:

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

That would be us promoted win 6 wins? :emoticon-0147-emo:

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No point in thinking otherwise is it Joe. If we do at this stage then we might as well mothball the forum and sign off for the summer. I can hear the fat lady warming up but she aint sung yet.

4. Greenarmyjoe

I totally agree and i'm still hoping second so i win the prediction league as well. Oxford are a point above us in second and 3 teams on 71.. Beat the wombles and go to pompey and win.. Adams needs to earn his money at this point of the season.. We have been up around the top all season.. so why give up now..

The fat lady wont be singing :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm We will be .. Just avoid the playoffs :emoticon-0146-punch

5. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

neither 4 or 6 wins will guarantee promotion yet, but I would be surprised if 83 points (4 wins) isn't enough. Lets face it, as it stands 81 points are currently needed to guarantee a playoff spot.....too early in the season to start worrying.....:eek: :emoticon-0107-sweat

6. Greenarmyjoe

No need to panic.. we won't need the play offs :emoticon-0147-emo:

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's better you are all being much more positive now. I knew you could do it if you tried. We will cross the bridge of play offs when and if we come to it. Must admit I don't fancy a trip to Wembley this year or any other.

8. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's not us panicking you need to worry about sensible.....it's the damn team......one goal is always a problem until the final whistle blows.

Sounds like McCormick was at fault for the first one.

So pleased to see Hiram Boateng back......never in my wildest dreams did I think that he wouldn't be playing from the start......and not to even get on the pitch today makes you ask....why, why, why. Palace didn't send him back here to warm a bench....they thought like us that he would be getting regular football.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Calm down dear!!!! If you have been following football most of your life then you know **** happens. Sometimes for a keeper **** happens. That's the way of things and he has pulled off saves many times he had no right to get to let alone save. We have won matches we don't really deserve to have won and lost games we didn't particularly deserve to lose. Like today for example. Adams took all the plaudits early in the season for his tactics and changing things when needed so you have to look at him to sort it out. Maybe he just isn't as good as we all thought and he is bottling it more than the players are. Like I said, if you think that it's season over then off into hibernation for the footballing summer and see you next season. No point in dragging it out.

10. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Wow Sensible that's what I call being totally optimistic and rightly so and you have to agree Plym. I know a hard loss but our destiny in our own hands now. Stupid games we fluffed up in the past which should have been 3 pointers eg. Barnet and Yeovil will haunt us if comes to that. If comes to playoffs could be exciting indeed with Exeter, Rovers & Pompey in contention at moment but hopefully will skip this caper.
    But Bollox too, on me third shot@3am after a night out. :emoticon-0175-drunk :emoticon-0172-mooni. LOL!

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Cannot blame DE for team not playing for full 90 mins...how many times this has happened!

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Why did Adams persevere with getting Boateng back.....I thought brilliant, well done Derek.....you got your man in the end.....BUT who thought he wouldn't have him as one of the first names on the team sheet each game ?

I cannot understand it at all......I thought at 1-0 up he would of brought him on to shore up mid-field and secure the victory.....what is Adams thinking ?

Not sure what to make of Adams post match comments either.....he seems to be in some sought of denial and sounded a bad loser I thought.

I am getting boring I know.....but goals win matches......that was so evident yesterday wasn't it ?.......bossed the game for most of the first eighty minutes but only scored once.....in the last few matches (not including Morecambe of course) we have leaked goals.......Accrington hurt, York we hung on just against a certain relegation team......and Exeter must have checked the calender after yesterdays game....think that it must be Christmas come early this year.

It's great that Reid and Matt are combining well.....but they cannot win matches by themselves......although Exeter have got a ex-apprentice who recently seems able to win matches by himself.......ok he had the luck with him yesterday (did he do the Lottery yesterday ?)......he caught out McCormick with a shot from distance twice....one squirmed under his body and the winner got a deflection over the keeper.....but who allowed Watkins so much space on the edge of the box to get those shots away......which returns me to my original question.....why was Boateng warming the bench for about 93 minutes ?

13. Greenarmyjoe

Answers to the above after the next 6 games.. then we can all moan.. Heads up People.. soon be Saturday :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

14. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

All bright and rosie today are we....hardly slept a wink last night so changed my avatar so maybe just maybe we can see the light! 20150929_070809.jpg

15. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately and unfairly, team selection, especially at this time of the year, is not about what players have done in the past, it's what they are doing now.

I don't go every week but from what I've seen, Reid has been doing OK in terms of effort and disruption to the opposition. Goals tend to come to strikers in batches and we know he can score so there's an argument for patience given there are another 9 outfield players to do their bit too. It's different with a keeper who's a man alone and whose confidence or lack of it easily infects his fellow defenders. In my opinion, Luke hasn't been playing at his best since his return from injury. I've seen several heart-in-the-mouth fumbles which only through luck didn't do any damage and we have been very poor at defending set-pieces recently. Something's not right back there.

I didn't voice an opinion in advance but given the local derby effect, I'd have gone 4:5:1:

McCormick (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

Forster, Nelson, Hartley, Sawyer

Jervis (or Tanner if you are prescient), Houghton, McHugh, Boateng, Carey

Matt (as the man on scoring form)

Still, I suspect this is more about character and confidence than tactics and ability and this defeat won't help at all. Good on you Sensible for keeping the faith. I've been wavering for weeks.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not exactly keeping the faith notdistant I'm just being a normal Argyle follower who after years of disappointment kind of got used to it and almost accept it in the end after my first 5 minutes of shouting bollox at nobody in particular. I don't agree that Adams can do nothing about things. He's paid to do that and if he gets applauded when it goes right then it's proper he takes the kicks when it isn't. He was applauded and rightly so for changing things during games earlier in the season and we got results from it. Why then has he gone backwards on this because he clearly has. He seems reluctant to change anything now.

As for individual players well they come in and out of form all the time. Luke has been an outstanding servant of ours and you are right he seems off at the minute. Guess with his history that is always going to be a possibility. Not sure what you do about it but then again I'm not paid to know but we know who is. Reid isn't scoring but he is putting in a decent shift each match and is a complete and utter nuisance to defences. I would stick with him and now we have a striker in form to partner him I would use them both. Carey is off at present. We know what he can do but he isn't doing it. Again not sure what do about that either. Don't think I'd rest him though. Boateng I would include. Not that the one he would replace has done a lot wrong but I'd still use him. Jervis has gone off completely. Drop him and use Wylde instead. Not a lot wrong with the defence so would leave that alone. We can all have an opinion on who and how though but it's Adams who needs to sort it and himself out and quickly.

The whole set up seems to lack bottle and that's why I'm not ken on a foray into the play offs. Not sure we would get anywhere near Wembley whoever we played. The automatic spots for 2nd and 3rd are still up for grabs and anyone of 5 or even 6 teams could get one of them. We are firmly in the pot for both so I'm not just giving up on the season yet. In 2 or 3 games we could either be well in control of it all or completely knackered. I'll decide what to do on the giving up front then.

Nobody would ever dare accuse you of being boring Plym......:emoticon-0113-sleep:grin:

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'll try again then sensible.......goals win matches...even if you have hardly had a look-in in the first 80 minutes......example.....Exeter.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Need your siesta sensible.....understandable.

20. Greenarmyjoe

When we beat the Wombles on Saturday there will be a different mood i suspect on here.. <party>