1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Pompey

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

WOW....what a shot in the arm that was....two goals in a minute and we're only 2pts away from second place.....bleaging good job I haven't got a dodgy ticker......when the BBC's Final Score said another goal at Fratton Park....I felt the inevitable had happened and we had caved in again in the final minutes.....but when they said it was the Argyle fans celebrating again.....I shouted out....YES,YES,YES.....luckily Mrs Plym didn't hear me.

If this doesn't put fire in their bellies nothing will.......Leyton O and Cambridge away and Dag & Red and Hartlepool at home ......these games are all winnable.....maybe this is the turning point of the season for Argyle.

Congratulations to Northampton today ....League Champions.

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Plym, was it just a YES YES YES ?

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Of course....:smiley-finger007:.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's very restrained isn't he Joe.

Everytime we have started to count the chickens we have clucked it. I still think we have an uphill fight to get anything automatic and other clubs have to be much more of a favourite than us. Of course we can still do it but I'm not getting carried away now because we've been here before and fecked it up.

5. Greenarmyjoe

Not this time, We will now go on a good run and finish 2nd place.. Its in our hands.. or the only other outcome i would want is us v pompey playoff final.. What a day and a sell out crowd for sure...

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Pah, our players have no resilience. If matches finished after 80 minutes, we'd have won the league by now probably.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You should have a read of the other fan forum boards PompeyLapras. At around halftime the language was ripe to be polite and the Argyle team wer gutless, yellow and a few other choice expletives. Typical Argo. Basically all of them need a draft out of town along with the Manager. At full time they were wonderful and most of the posters wanted their babies. How fickle fans are.

It sounded to me like we stole the points this time but I've yet to read a full report from our man in Hampshire. But I've said previously that despite how well Pompey played down here at the start of the season I genuinely thought the penalties were soft and we didn't get any we should have had so you nicked the points then and we nicked the points now. Seems fair to me. Not sure many of your people will see it that way but still.

8. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I don't mind losing, it's part of football. It's just the manner of our losses which is pretty tedious. Either we get completely torn to shreds by a mid-table team, or we concede 1 or 2 or however many goals necessary in the last 10 minutes (and often into stoppage time) for us to lose. Checking my phone at the end of the game, I wasn't even surprised.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  9. Greenarmyjoe

Well, we have been conceding late goals of late, We conceded two at Excretia a few weeks ago and then the Wombles banged one in late into the game..

You will have to do it via the play offs if we go up via the auto slots as 4 teams now chasing those two places.. us and Rovers i think will do it.. Good luck ..

10. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Bollox. .had to go home and change shirt as split a local pie all over me

11. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just back after a VERY quick drive home.
    Having witnessed Argyle throw leads away in the last 10 minutes on more than one occasion recently, today's result feels all the more sweeter.

A packed Fratton Park saw Argyle start in a 4-5-1 formation which inevitably meant Matt was isolated and the midfield was packed. That said, Argyle started pretty well, forcing a number of early corners , Mchugh hit the post from one and another was scrambled off the line. Inevitably, Portsmouth started to control the match and threatened time and again down both flanks, especially down their left against the out of position Carey and the lightweight Mellor. A few tasty challenges were made and Luke was adjudged to have handled outside the box and received a yellow. Pompey were applying pressure (without really testing the keeper) and despite some mainly decent defending it was no surprise when they scored a fairly simple headed goal into the bottom corner which gave Luke no chance.

Half time 0-1 but it was one of those halves that could have gone either way.

Much of the second half was low on quality and it looked like Pompey would take the points. Argyle had absolutely no width and never really looked like scoring. The Green Army were getting restless and baying for the manager to change things. It took an awful long time but eventually he did. Wylde replaced Purrington (who had a good game) with Mchugh appearing to drop into left back-nothing much changed and then Reuben replaced the still underperforming Jervis. Three at the back and suddenly we carried a real attacking threat. Pompey looked rattled and with 86 on the clock Matt rose and headed past the keeper-green army celebrated and the Pompey fans were quiet. 2 minutes later and the ball broke to Wylde in the box who slotted home. Absolute bedlam in the away end made all the better by the Pompey fans heading for the exit. 5 mins of added time seemed like an eternity but the final whistle brought celebrations not witnessed for a long time. Anyone who thinks the players aren't committed to the cause can think again. The manager , all the players and coaching staff celebrated with the green army for a long time- lots of fist pumping, badge kissing etc . - hardly any argyle fans left the ground until the p[layers eventually left the pitch. DA was the last up the tunnel.

Were we the better team?, probably not. Pompey fans will be gutted but the bottom line is we scored more than them.

So, Boateng man of the match probably but good shifts by Purrington and Carey, rest did okay-the ref was no better than average but to be fair let one or two meaty challenges go.
    Fantastic day out, great atmosphere and a good journey home. That WILL have given the team all the confidence they should need for the remaining games-auto promotion a very real possibility again and the playoffs all but guaranteed.

Happy days.

12. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

:1980_boogie_down:Thanks Lyndhurst. ..

13. Greenarmyjoe

14. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Did you not hear me cheering all the way from the Rockies...
    Thanks Lyndhurst.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Points are points in the end so don't really care how they come. I would guess Pompey could do the same as us with points lost rather than gained that should not have happened. Both sides have thrown away games at the end with our's most recently being Exeter.

I thought I heard you once this afternoon BC but it turned out to be the old lady next door calling her cat.:1980_boogie_down:

16. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Let's hope this spark lights a full blown revival of our early season form.

We've got to do it ourselves as only Bristol Rovers v Exeter (come on you err... red and white stripes) on Tuesday, Wimbledon v Portsmouth (26th, presumably on TV), Wycombe v Accrington (30th), Oxford v Wycombe and Portsmouth v Northampton (both 7th May) look anything like top of the table 6 pointers that could aid our cause. It sticks in the craw but let's hope Wycombe finish strongly.

Tuesday is vital: although Orient can still theoretically make the play-offs, they've only got 1 win in their last 5 and that yesterday against relegated Dagenham. Even in that game they conceded 2 to Dagenham who've only managed 37 in their other 41 games.

After that, Dagenham, Cambridge and Hartlepool should have little more than pride to play for.

Who's settle now on ten points from the four remaining games?