1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 12, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here we are again for yet another battle of the Ports and so as not to cause the annual argument you can call it Dockyard Derby if you want. I thought I would raise this thread a day early as there seems to be some opinion about that this one match will show where we are truely at this season. A six pointer, a defining moment etc etc. Yet I can't bring myself to think in those terms somehow.

Whilst it is true that Portsmouth are one of the bigger clubs in this league I do not see this game as anything other than a normal Saturday with the exception of there being a bigger crowd. It is worth the same 3 points as any other game and we get no more or less for winning or losing it. There is one fact that cannot be overlooked. We are bound to lose a game sooner rather than later whoever we are playing. If we lose this one then we will still be top even if the gap will have probably closed with the second club.

I can see where people are coming from to some extent. They see Pompey as a probable for promotion and consider these are the games we should be winning to show we are good enough to maintain our start. I say these are the games we would like to win to make us feel even better than we probably feel already. It instills confidence in the players and the club. I want us to win it. There again I want us to win every game whoever it is. Pompey seem to be having yet another mixed season so far. Dropping points where you wouldn't expect so they will be very kean to take something from this.

It should be a cracking match (he says hopefully) with a great atmosphere given the large expected crowd. I hope this time around there aren't any soft penalties and whoever wins (us of course) do so on proper merit.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I will be there Sensible disguised as a Bear so you won't see me....well in spirit anyway.
    Looking forward to listening to the game.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There's a bloke who sits a few rows behind me who looks and sounds like a rock ape but I haven't seen any bears yet BC.

4. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Should be a good game sensible.

Watch out though, Singing Blue 3 is coming to your fair city, to attend the match. Not a person to mix it with :angel:

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Looking forward to it Wooperts win lose or draw. SB3 has got the attention span of a gnat given how he conducts his "Scummers" thread. I think he forgets to post for weeks until somebody else reminds him. I doubt he will still be watching after 10 minutes. My son has an acquaintance who still thinks it's 1970 in the football supporter conduct stakes. If you can find out where SB3 will be sitting I'll get them introduced in case the football goes quiet.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well, i feel we have not a worry about this one and its pompey who must win. Should be a nice open game .. hope fully all goes well and everyone behaves..

Good luck woopetts <ale>

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I can live without a nice open game if we get the 3 points!

Never mind the league positions, this one always feels special due to the naval connections or rivalries, whichever they are, so let's hope it's a good one.

As we seem capable of grinding them out this season despite not having played to our full potential, I'll be predicting an Argyle win. If Garita was playing, I'd even be tempted to put money on it but it looks unlikely!

8. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This might not be pretty.....one goal could win this.....just needs one mistake for either side to win it.

Portsmouth have an average away record this season.....far more teams doing better away....but that might not mean anything because of the south coast dockyard rivalry.

Been reading of trouble caused last time we where there by some "so called" green supporters........talk of getting even on their website by "so called" Pompey supporters....lets hope that that doesn't spoil the day and the Police are on top of it.

9. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Have really enjoyed these fixtures over the last few seasons and been to everyone (home and away) since we ended up in the same league. For me it has always been friendly rivalry between the two ports, and I know quite a few of my Pompey supporting mates feel the same. Unfortunately the behavior of a few Argyle fans at the last couple of away games was pretty poor and a number of Pompey fans retaliated in the same way. I hope the match will be sensibly policed and doubt very much if anything will 'kick off' inside the ground although there is plenty of potential for moronic behavior in the local area before and after. As for the football, I have a feeling it will be less entertaining than some of the recent encounters; Pompey will be very keen for a point and we will want to preserve our unbeaten run. Like to think we will win by an odd goal but suspect it may well be a 1-1 draw.

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Going to be a decent crowd I think - the yellow blocks in the Lyndhurst and Devonport End literally have a handful of tickets left each.

please log in to view this image

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Should be a cracking atmosphere but hopefully a cracking game without any trouble. Pity the police elsewhere up the country don't have the same attitude towards extremism as mentioned in the Herald today for game tomorrow!

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There will always be morons but nothing will ever compare with the real old days. A bit of history here for you boys.

Back in the 60's matelots weren't paid quite the same as they are nowadays. When yo joined you selected a home port. That meant your service numer began with the letter of the port. Mine, being a Devonport rating was D090344R. It's a number you never ever forget. Matelots then were badly paid. The average take home in the mid 60's was about £8 per week. Yes a week not an hour. The pub opening hours on a Saturday were open at about 11am and close at 2.30pm of a lunch time. Plenty of Pompey ratings culdn't always afford to go home every weekend so were at a loose end over thee weekend. Come 2 30pm it was another 4.5 hours to opening times so what to do. When there was a dockyard derby there was only one place to be which was at the footy. So half cut from lunch time off they went to Home Park for "the game". Win lose or draw the matelots who were from differing portts kicked ten bells of **** out of each other. There could be 30,000 people at the game then. Oh such joy....... That's why this is known as the "Battle of the Ports" rather than dockyard or anything else.

The above is my memory of it all. Fortunately the above is no longer the case. I don't even think the rivalry is the same. Todays yobs have nothing on what used to be but sadly they are still wannabees. Hopefully they will stay at home this Saturday.

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

All I can tell you is that he will probably be wearing a blue shirt, and to my knowledge doesn't have a bell :)

Understand that 11,000 tickets have already been sold. Should be a good atmosphere. Let's hope there is zero trouble at the game <ok>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That narrows it down then Wooperts. Reading some of the above contributions to this thread makes me wonder what it's all about. Why anyone would want to go out and cause a load of bother feck knows. Rest assured Dad's Army on here won't be joining in.:bandit::emoticon-0146-punch

15. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Sad thing is sensible that the total strength of the RN is currently about 28000-it is now quite difficult to find any opposing matelots to say hello to, let alone have a meaningful fight against! I am D185....- they changed a the numbers a few years ago to unisex ones for all, including officers, ratings, males, and females. It is now impossible to tell anything about an official number.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sad indeed lyndhurst. I don't suppose the Field Gun has the same competetive edge now either if they still run it. I think the numbers when I first joined would have been around 130.000.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I was in the Army Cadets when I was at school in Portsmouth (before I moved to the South Island) - can I join in this conversation ?;)

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The Army took anyone in those days Wooperts so of course you can join in......<laugh>

Even SB3 would have got in.

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I don't think SB3 would have passed the medical, what with his flat feet :emoticon-0110-tongu

20. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

£8 a week....strewth.....when I did my National Service in 1960/62.....you got 24 shillings a week and that included overseas allowance......<yikes>.