1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus WBA

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Feb 18, 2024.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At least I remembered to post the match day thread this time. Sadly this is yet another game I am going to miss live. Still not prepared to risk the nightime air and hike through the park. I am determined to make the next home game though. Anyway this is one that could potentially go either way yet again. WBA are not as strong as a Leeds or Leicester or Southampton but they have had a decent enough season for them up till now. Can we knock that stat out of them? Course we can. I have no doubt there are many mutterings of our impending doom from the Argyle faithful after the results on Saturday. The gap has narrowed but there is still a lot to do for the teams below. Am I the only one who thinks the fixture list has been a complete load of bollocks in February with the number of games teams have? It suits the larger outfits with the bigger squads but the more normal clubs with the lesser squads are having to throw players in game in and game out.

COYG

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sorry you can’t make it Sensible - and I mean that sincerely.

I agree about the fixture list. An absolute joke. I did see squad number stats somewhere. The “big names” have pretty much twice as many players that we do. I think there’s a limit how many are eligible to play - I’m sure Lyndhurst knows - but I also think that the event of long-term injuries or unexpected departures, they can slot new names in.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Had to get my hanky out after reading that WBA will be without 6 first team players on Tuesday....really tugged at my heart strings.

Kyle Bartley, Josh Maja, Jayson Molumby, Matt Phillips, Daryl Dike & Martin Kelly.

Funny I ain't heard of any of them....so who is trying to fool who ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Birmingham Globe is predicting that WBA's starting eleven will be.......Alex Palmer (GK), Darnell Furlong, Cedric Kipre, Semi Ajayi, Conor Townsend, Okay Yokuslu, Alex Mowatt, Jed Wallace, Mikey Johnston, Grady Diangana & Brandon Thomas-Asante.

Well we know Alex Palmer from the past an ok keeper....the rest well ?.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

According to pasoti we should have had a penalty earlier. But, this is like watching paint dry with nothing happening. Cue..........

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-0...WBA...H/T.

Two shots at goal none on target ?

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Pressure mounting.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One down

Kipre..61mins

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-2.....Johnson...76mins.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

2 down and game over. Not that there appears to have been a game tonight. People are not happy.

11. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

well . i am here at game its the woirse i seen in a long time .. not our style of play

5 changes tonight , not a shot on target. some fans booing.. no idea why ..

1 point from 9 at home in last 3.. bad .. but we will come back

12. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

i make it 3 now plym..

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It is 3 shots with zero on target. The stats for this match are shockingly bad for us. What happened to the gungho charge tactic and at least some entertainment? I'm glad I decided to give this a miss and stay home. It's depressing enough seeing it unfold on my computer let alone watching it live.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I now go back to the game site and see it's 3 - 0. The end applause is going to be lacking tonight I guess. Foster is safe with his job at Argyle but if anywhere else he might just be looking over his shoulder.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-3...Fellows...90+1mins.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle...0-3...WBA...F/T......Kipre...61mins.....Johnston...76mins.....Fellows...90+1mins.

Out played...out thought.....and definitely out gunned.....not one shot on target.

Points are becoming harder to find than gold dust.

17. notDistantGreen

Sensible always says the score line doesn’t lie. It doesn’t in this case. This was the worst Argyle performance I’ve seen since we were sliding down the divisions some years ago.

The first half was very tight with both sides passing it around reasonably but with few clear chances. In the second half, we just fell apart. Perhaps West Brom made some tactical changes, I don’t know but we were awful.

What are normally regarded as our best players Hardie, Whittaker and Mumba were anonymous throughout. whether due to their own failings or those of the team generally I don’t know. Whatever it was, it didn’t work.

The back 3 toiled honourably but what has got to stop is giving the ball back to Hazard once it’s in play. He can’t kick for toffee especially down his right side. Either he kicks it long to start with when he’s not under pressure or the CB’s need to take it on themselves. Hazard did make two top class saves though: otherwise things could have been worse. He’s a good shot-stopper but his distribution is awful.

I’ll give honourable mentions to Galloway - who was majestic again and to Gyabi who really got stuck in and that’s about it. Notably, Gyabi didn’t play against Leeds.

On that note, Foster is blaming fixture congestion with resulting tiredness and lack of preparation time. That may be a factor to be fair. Unfortunately though we’re at Middlesbrough on Saturday and on this showing, we shouldn’t expect too much.

18. notDistantGreen

Just one more thing. We’ve seen the other side of Morgan Whittaker tonight and in a way, it’s a good one.

By the end, his frustration was clearly getting the better of him and he started to show his teeth rather than his normal meek exterior. He started to pile into tackles I didn’t think he had in him and I started to worry he’d either get sent off or worse. Injure himself.

He does care…..

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I now believe that God afflicted me for a reason to save me from having to go tonight. Clearly he is merciful...............

I have to say I for once have not read a good word about any of the players or management tonight and it would seem that the ground was empty in double quick time. You love your stats notdistant but tonights were truely shocking.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just watched the match video....I should have got behind the settee first.....we could have lost that 6 or 7 nil.

We have moved from a free scoring team...having scored more home goals than any other Championship side ...to a side who managed only 4 shots at home all match....and not one on target.

We were just over run by a team that didn't have a brilliant away record.....okay they have now won 5....drawn 4....and lost 7 away games....but we made them look like Barcelona/Real Madrid tonight.....it's a long way to Middlesboro on Saturday.

We are getting sucked into the relegation area again....we thought our home form would keep us safe....but it's disappearing fast and we are now only 5pts above it with some teams below us playing better than us.