1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wales v Poland

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2024-3-25_7-55-17.png Wales v Poland upload_2024-3-25_7-55-17.png

Competition - Euro 2024, Play-Off Final, Path A
    Venue - Cardiff City Stadium
    Date - 26 March 2024
    Kick off - 19:45

Following their convincing 4-1 victory over Finland, Rob Page’s Wales squad host Poland in a one leg, ‘winner takes all’ match for the right to qualify for this Summer’s Euro 2024 Finals competition.

Last Thursday evening, David Brooks gave the home side the perfect start as he volleyed in on the rebound after Harry Wilson's shot was saved in the third minute.

Finland controlled large spells of the first half and, although Neco Williams doubled Wales' lead with a beautiful curling free-kick, the visitors kept themselves in contention as Teemu Pukki finished calmly shortly before the break.

Brennan Johnson settled any creeping Welsh nerves as he tapped in from Brooks' shot 90 seconds into the second half.

Despite missing chances to add to their lead and having a Ben Davies goal disallowed, Robert Page's men were comfortable winners as substitute Dan James added a late fourth on his 50th cap.

Whilst Wales were beating Finland, Poland were hammering 10 man Estonia 5-1:

Wales’ only previous win in 10 attempts against Poland came all the way back in qualifying for the 1974 World Cup.

Wales have lost all but two of the nine meetings since then after a pair of draws in 1991 and 2000, including six losses in a row in this century.

The 2 most recent fixtures took place in 2022 when Wales played Poland in home and away Nations League matches in June and September, losing 1-2 away and 0-1 at home:

(Press - Watch on YouTube above to view)

Poland have not failed to reach the finals of a major tournament since the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and last missed the Euros in 2004, but endured a disappointing qualifying campaign this time around as they trailed behind Albania and the Czech Republic.

The winners of this clash will be placed in Group D at Euro 2024 along with France, the Netherlands and Austria, facing the Dutch first up in Hamburg on June 16.

Turning to tomorrow evening, despite having home advantage, Poland will be ‘warmish’ favourites.

However, Wales have improved since their double losses against Poland in 2022.

If our centre backs can shackle Lewandoski and Co, we can win.

However, I’m expecting a close, tense game that really could go either way, but with the slight edge to Lewandowski and Co.

1-2 to Poland - but I really, really hope that I’m wrong <cheers>

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I hope you're wrong as well Taff. After some disappointing results the team have achieved much better form in recent games.

This ties in with the likes of Rodon, Mepham, Ampedu, Moore, James and Wilson playing regularly, and well, at Prem level or just below. There is no substitute for game time.

Add to that Brooks return to fitness, Johnson adapting to life at Spurs and the emergence of Jordan James at Birmingham.
    And I haven't even mentioned Ward, Connor Roberts, Ben Davies and Neco Williams.

In fact, unless 100% fit, Ramsey gets no more than a place on the bench.

It will help that the Villa thug Cash is not likely to take part through injury. They have other very good players but will need to be at the top of their games to have a chance of dismantling the Red Wall. <ok>

3. Taffvalerowdy

Top comments Blue <applause>

clingo, BluefromBridgend and 55282 like this.
  4. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

This is certainly a game we can win. Having (only) seen the highlights of Poland's win (above, cheers Taff), they were only one up when the red card was given and that was from a defensive howler. Factor in playing away, with travel and a short turnaround and Wales can win this, 2 - 1.

5. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Could be down to the ref fairly controlling the game and stopping any diving from the start ?
    1-0 us

6. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Positive 2-1 Wales

7. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I’m bracing myself for disappointment - but that just comes from our history I’m sure. The players must be feeling confident they can do the job though.
    I think this game will be won by a single goal either way.
    The game kicks off at 3:45am here in the Philippines so I hope me getting up at that ungodly hour doesn’t end in disappointment.

COME ON WALES !!

8. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

A really valid point given the opposition's penchant for pretending to be pole axed.

I'm proud of our young guns in this transition period and I know they'll give of their best.
    With a ref that can pick out the actors, we have a good chance.

Cymru am Byth

9. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I agree this match needs some good strong refereeing. We need to keep them quiet for the 1st 20 to 30 minutes and hopefully as the Finland game get an early goal. Our defence needs to be on top form with no high pressure clangers. We have enough to win this 2-1

10. Taffvalerowdy

Daniele Orsato of Italy is the referee appointed by UEFA

upload_2024-3-25_18-22-26.jpeg

On 13 December 2022, Orsato refereed the World Cup semi-final between Argentina and Croatia where he came under fire by Balon D’Or winner and Croatia captain Luka Modric as "one of the worst" referees, describing his performance in that game as "a disaster." <yikes>

11. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Not a bad thing if he came in for criticism from a team of divers I suppose.
    Just trying to put a positive slant on things while really thinking "oh ****"

12. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

It's sure as hell going to be yet another tense and nervy 90+ minutes for us all.....

I believe we have the ability to beat the Poles but their greater experience as a squad may well favour them.

Whatever happens though, at least we can be proud of how the team have come together again after a dreadful start to the campaign. Plenty of green shoots for the future.

Screenshot_20240326-093513-645.png

13. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

All you Taffs deserve a win tonight. Get the job done lads. Best of luck

14. Taffvalerowdy

upload_2024-3-26_13-47-21.png

Welsh fans on their way to Cardiff for tonight’s match :grin:

55282 and daimungeezer like this.
  15. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Surely Page will have made his concerns known to the refereeing team beforehand ?

55282, daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  16. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

But if they haven't got much of a clue to start with what difference will that make? :emoticon-0107-sweat "even things up" at least, I suppose.

55282, clingo and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  17. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Very hard game to call, this one. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes to extra time and penalties.

55282, clingo and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  18. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Don't say that. My nerves are shredded already.
    C'mon Wales

55282 and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  19. Taffvalerowdy

Wales manager Robert Page makes one change from the team which beat Finland 4-1 in Thursday’s play-off semi-final.

Striker Kieffer Moore comes in for David Brooks, who drops to the bench.

Ben Davies is captain once again as regular skipper Aaron Ramsey is only fit enough to be named among the substitutes.

Wales: Ward; Mepham, Rodon, B. Davies; Roberts, Ampadu, J. James, Williams; Wilson, Johnson, Moore.

Subs: Hennessey, King, Fox, Dasilva, Sheehan, Savage, Ramsey, D. James, Matondo, Brooks, Broadhead, Cullen.

clingo likes this.
  20. Taffvalerowdy

Sorry guys …. but I disagree with and don’t like the booing during their National Anthem <cheers>

daimungeezer likes this.