1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What a great season.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, May 24, 2015.

1. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

The Saints are staying up!!!

Archers Road likes this.
  2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Living abroad, I can definitely say that the name Southampton, or 사우스햄턴 round these parts, is becoming more and more well known.

jenthesaint1990 likes this.
  3. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

Ditto on that Beefy. Amazing season made even better by all and sundry picking us for relegation fodder. So many outstanding performances and a massive congratulations to everyone from players, coaches, staff, sponsors and fans.

Looking back over the season you cant help but feel that we can get better still. There were a few times when we dropped points or played below potential which gives me hope that we haven't reached our potential yet and we can keep climbing.

Also congrats to Chelsea for winning the League and League Cup and to Arsenal on the FA Cup ;)

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The team apparently thought they had underachieved (bless 'em), but this is a positive thing. We had a great season and yet there is a sense that we have more to give....can't wait for next season (though we will let them have a little rest first :)).

5. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

I couldn't be more prouder of how we have done, Excelling last least season after a summer of Firesales and mass exodus's from the media and Pundits alike.

The players have shown true character and performed brilliantly!

6. fran-MLs little camera

7. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I'm pleased that the players are walking away disappointed.

Last season players walked away and out the club with the attitude that 8th is as good as it gets for little old Southampton.

What's made this season so special is the way it's opened our eyes to the possibility.
    Regular European football, even champions league is not some pipe dream. Working hard, working smart and sticking together can get you to where you want to go.

8. chinasaint

chinasaint Well-Known Member

Here we are known as Nán ānpǔdūn (Nan meaning south in Chinese) or 南安普敦.

9. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

In Australia we're generally referred to as Sarfhaampton in the local language.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Fairplay to you, I thought you were all mad at the start of the season, talking about finishing above Pochettino. In the end you had a fantastic season and so nearly finished above us. Glad you didn't manage it but also glad you guys didn't fade away after having so many players poached off you last summer, Koeman and the players left have done a fantastic job <ok>

11. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

I thought it was disappointing that you only finished 4th. 5th or 6th certainly wasn't beyond you. Southampton have been my favourite team to watch this year. A word of warning though, we finished 7th twice in a row and then everything went to pot.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Nice typo, wish it had been 4th!

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

14. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

15. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Every once in a blue moon I stumble across this video. Not by choice I tell you, I'm well aware how close it came. Notably, Nick Illingsworth was saying goodbye before anything actually happened [he's always been a bit too quick to judgement, imo], but it is a sober reminder of where things could have gone. Thankfully, we are not Portsmouth, Leeds, Bolton, for example, or perhaps even QPR if they don't sort themselves out. We are stable, sustainable, successful, and we are looking up.

SAINTDON13 likes this.
  16. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I am convinced that when I read some of the tripe that some posters trot out that they have never appreciated how close we came to being wiped out completely.

fatletiss likes this.
  17. fran-MLs little camera

Didn't staff believe the meeting was about the club folding, then were delighted to find we had been bought. Very much a last thing rescue.

18. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

True. If memory serves, the administrator hung on to let Pinnacle get their act together, and that gave time for Cortese to talk to Liebherr and within 24 hours it was sorted. As I remember, it went something like this [hugely abridged]:

Pinnacle kicked a few tyres and said they'd get the money. They got some money to delay the inevitable. Then they got Matty on board to add some legitimacy. Then they kicked a few more tyres while they realised it was going to take more money than they thought.

Meanwhile, Cortese had got wind of it, realising that Pinnacle didn't have a clue what they were up against. He informed Liebherr saying, that would be fun for you. Liebherr said in return, you mean that would be fun for you. Cortese said, OK, it'll be fun for us both. Liebherr said, I'll do it but only if you run it. Cortese said Yeah..!

And essentially, that was that.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

20. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I thought that we would have finished higher. This has been a brilliant season but I think we suffered from a lack of goals. Had Pelle been more consistent and our midfield players been able to find he back of the net, I don't doubt that we would have overtaken both Spurs and Liverpool and maybe threatened the top four. The quality of football this season has been fantastic and our defending of a standard perhaps possibly never achieved during any previous time in the top flight. It would have been hugely satisfying for us to have made a dent in the reputations of the top five clubs and the type of football we have produced when playing at our best certainly deserves a reward. Next weekend will be the first time I will be cheering for Arsenal who I hope can do us a favour and get us in to Europe.