1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What a line up

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Ron, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2001. I was there. Were you?

upload_2015-2-17_12-31-36.png

2. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Yes, i was there for all the journey. Fond memories!

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So were you lucky enough to be present at that epic away game against Wimbledon? I painfully listened to it on radio.

4. Blue_Slasher

Yes, had a number of amazing days being a WWFC fan.
    Trips to Wembley in the FA Trophy. The Play off final v PNE. Last game of the season great escapes against Lincoln and Torquay and off course our great league and FA cup runs.
    Have to say though that some of my more memorable trips have been down to the company around me. Some great days out with Rocky, Guy, Tucker etc etc. and some great stories to tell

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, I was at all the Wembley games, even the FA Amateur Cup Final against Bishop Auckland. One semi final I remember fondly was against Cambridge City at Highbury where we came from behind to win 4-2. Bit of a bloodbath. No subs those days. We had Syrett in goal who as crushed after 2 mins and couldn't raise one arm above his head, down to 10 men and at one time 9. Len Worley and Paul Bates did the damage. Fantastic day that was; right up there with the Wimbledon epic and the Preston play off final. Well almost <laugh>

6. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Wimbledon game was superb but like slasher said so many great memories especially for the away games.

7. Blue_Slasher

I do miss it mate. Would be nice to get the old croud together for a game or two

8. Rocky blue army

Southend away I am going are you

9. Blue_Slasher

Sounds like a plan. How are you getting there?

10. Rocky blue army

Train and beer

11. Blue_Slasher

Sounds familiar...football specials?

12. Rocky blue army

Of course you wouldn't expect anything else

13. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

I rebember a few away tirps by train back in the 70s some by the old football special trains and others by coach one scary trip to Cardiff's Ninian Park our coach got stoned instead of us plus other cup games like Bournemouth's Dean Court and the special trains to Runcorn and Goole missed most of the games in the 80s I was in the RAF and spent time abroad but made the trophy final in 93 the lad was sick but in them days it was excitment not alcohol then about a quater of the 1st season in the league including the play off final by the I was in the family stand back then I loved the away games I could get too as didn't have the kids with me Lincon was a good day Sanchez great escape the cup run 2000/01 Wimbledon away was great as was Leicester but I had a hunch we would cause an upset and the semi at Villa Park was a great experiance holding the mighty Liverpool treble cup winners to 0-0 for 78 mins I was starting to believe we could go all the way then th league cup run knocking out 2 prem teams onthe way to the semi against Chelsea shame about the game at Stamford Bridge I hate Lampard, Shevchenko, Essien and Drogba then there was the 2 final day promotions the one under Taylor was a real nervy affair but I have to say last season at Torquay beats the lot as all but the most optimistic of Chairboys thought it was a final day out in the football league not that I ever thought we would not win the game as that was not in doubt from half time it was events else where that I didn't think would go our way but thats now all history. Happy Days
    Ps I forgot to mention the games against Middlesbough in1975 I was one of the 12K or so that were in Loakes Park but couldn't make the replay at Ayresome Park wasn't alowed 2 days off school.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was at that Cardiff game Guy. Stood with the Cardiff Fans. They said it was the best team they had seen there that season. We lost 1-0 I think.

15. Guywanderer

Yes that was right Ron we played them off the park if I remember right but lost I rebember being stood in an away enclosure at the side of the pitch no trouble there just when the coach way pulling away think the driver just carried on and checked for damage when we stopped later

16. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Goole gggrrrr. I was hit over the head with a lump of wood but i was wearing a wycombe hat at the time which cushioned the blow. <laugh><laugh>

17. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

That was my father who organised the trains Runcorn, Goole, Blyth Spartans which was cancelled & train had to be re-organised for the following week. Merthy Tydfill where an hour after leaving Wycombe we were going through Slough.

18. Guywanderer

Yes mate I remember it all kicking off 2 of my lot got arested one after he had been beaten up they spent the night in nick and had to get the train back the next day and then back up there to go to court a week later there but for the grace of god go I

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  19. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Alan ( Belcher) and Roger was it?

20. Guywanderer

I used to go with some mates from Great Missended area it was Ray and Derek Budd there were a few arrested