1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What Happens If We Fail To Go Up

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, May 14, 2024.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Let’s assume we fail to win promotion, and yes that’s exactly what I expect with FARKE sort of leading the team. But for the sake of this post let’s assume the worst.

Due to the play offs we have yet another short summer window as the players should already be on holiday, the technical team should be offloading the rats, selling the players who are not good enough for the prem and bringing in a new team capable of staying in the prem. so we have problems yet again and self inflicted. Last Summer FARKE had no chance and after a steady start excelled and did well. This summer we have more problems (if not promoted) so who are the people who are going to do some top business, because lets remember if we fail to go up we are going to lose some of of our best players. Let’s assume we are losing Summerville and Gnonto at a minimum. Who are the people doing the deals and a worry for me is that Angus Kinnear is listed as Sporting Director? With Gretar Steinsson as Technical Director and Nick Hammond as his advisor and Jordan Miles as planner.

So we lose some of our better players for FFFP Rules reasons, which means on paper we are weaker next season than this and we failed to win promotion, so what chance next season with a weaker team? Unless Steinsson’s team know what they are doing and bring in some talent that nobody else knows about, for a good price, or we are goosed. I am hearing that Charlie Cresswell has already told the club to fook off and the same from Gelhardt, but a huge worry is the views of Hayden Evans who runs the agency that manages Cresswell and his brother, Archie Gray and his brother, Shackelton and a lot more. There is upset in the camp and quite a few players will leave. Connor Roberts isnt happy so no chance of him staying, we won’t be able to afford him anyway or Rodon. Anthony is also fooked off at his lack of minutes so he will be back in Bournemouth. Byram isnt fit enough to get a new contract which means we need a whole new defence just for starters. Bamford and Piroe? Will Georginio still be here and if he is will he be overused again. We then have Poveda, Bate, Drameh who will bring in a bit of compensation and Shackelton too because no way will he be important next season if ignored this season. So lots of players are going to be on their bikes including Greenwood. What will happen to Gyabi who was Plymouths best player before injury wrecked his season what about Sonny Perkins who hardly played out on loan and been missing even for the 21s. Lots going on in the background as Farke rips up everything Bielsa put in place. Don’t have a problem with change but we need to see results and so far there are none, except maybe the U18s getting to the Youth Cup Final against Man City

So another huge summer whatever happens and lots of talking points to debate. Llorente deal already agreed so another one gone. Everton want Harrison on loan again (which idiot stopped his transfer to Leicester, oh yeah Kinnear) Kristensen on his way back nobody wants him …… Aaronson is now a shadow of the player we bought……. Lots to do

2. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Ffs <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

Marcos Barber likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Either way there will be more ins and outs. Agents touting their kids in and out of the club. If creswell and Gelhardt have told the club to cook off then they can cook right off. Makes little difference who comes in our out, Leeds United and the fans will still be around it’s just the personnel with the flash car that changes

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If we don’t go up, we dust ourselves down and go for it again. We had four loans, only one of which has made a genuine difference.

We use the loan market better to attract three top loans. The 49ers know the situation with the loan clauses, we assume they’re all activated again. At least the start of the season should not be disrupted.

Hopefully we get some money in for Roca and Harrison, Joffy and Cresswell haven’t been used so we can’t say we’ll miss them.

We might lose two players like Rutter and Summerville or Ampadu, I can’t see us losing three.

Thing is, if we fail it’s partly because the players hadn’t got the right mindset, if we lose some it might not be the worse case scenario.

If we get promoted, the problems are equally as large, we will still need to shift some in and out

5. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

You forgot one….. Joseph, this lad will reach good heights if coached right, something we don’t have at LS11

southernwhite and ristac like this.
  6. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Lot to unpick there. In no particular order, I agree with the points below, there will be ins and outs whatever division we’re in. Cresswell wants out so let him go, he gets talked about like he’s VVD or something when the reality is he had a semi decent season with Millwall who finished mid table. Maybe if our aspirations are higher then we need better? Gelhardt hasn’t kicked on but if we’re being honest, as much as I have nothing but admiration for Bielsa, it was probably his handling of Joffey that stifled his development not Farke. Not sure why you’re even bringing up Llorente or Harrison as Leeds players. One area where I agree you’re spot on is recruitment team is the key area. Players move all the time, either because they want to “better” themselves or the club doesn’t rate them highly enough anymore, so don’t know why Archie or his brother would be affected and Cresswell’s brother might be better and get picked, who knows? Again don’t see how Farke has any responsibility for Kristensen and Aaronson’s drop in value.

7. LeedsRover1

LeedsRover1 Well-Known Member

Posted elsewhere about the Rats. Wasn’t aware that a deal has been agreed for Llorente. But collectively (with the exception of Harrison) they didn’t show they were good enough for the Prem, if that’s the aim. So why keep them.

Unlike a few posters, I’m largely underwhelmed by Rodon, so don’t think that’d be a huge loss. Personally I think Cresswell might do ok if we were to stay down. A CB partnership of Cress and Struijk
    might work, freeing Ampadu up to play midfield.

Another year in the championship would give every chance of Joseph getting valuable game time. I reckon both Summerville and Gnonto would be sold, so incomings would be needed. If DF is still here it’s unlikely he’ll opt for more than one striker, so the issue of Bamford/Piroe and Joseph will again be a constant talking point. I doubt we’ll bring anybody in to help answer that one. My guess is we’ll need wide players, both front and back. That’s where I believe the incomings are crucial. Hopefully whoever we bring in, they can cross a ball.

8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

<applause>

Marcos Barber likes this.