1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Which is harder Running or Cycling?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Captain Hindsight, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

It depends on the intensity, but I'd say cycling is safer because of less intense impact on joints and bones from feet not banging off the ground.

I personally prefer running, I got myself a treadmill with varying speeds, inclines and MP3 system.

2. Darth Tash

The important thing is not to let your emotional state at a particular time get the better of you.

Motivation is good, but it's only a temporary state, it comes and goes. Your character will be defined by what you do when you don't feel like doing it.

Also motivation can be bad in the sense that you can hit the ground running and do too much. Start off slow doing 3 days a week medium intensity, and get plenty of rest and water.

Patience is key.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  3. Nolberto's Salsa Inferno

Nolberto's Salsa Inferno Well-Known Member

Jesus christ lads...are you all some sort of deluded Iron men??? Marathons ..half marathons ..10ks ..cycling to the north pole on a unicycle ..or is it the usual...do as I say, not as I do?

I like me bikes...but I am not going to cycle to Murmansk on one
    and the less said about running the better...dull dull dull ..and that is outside ..let alone in a gym ...shudders

For all over ...getting healthy....swimming.

4. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

If all you do is swim, you'll end up with lower bone density than if you do something weight-bearing like running. Worth a thought for long-term health.

5. Darth Tash

If your exercise is becoming boring then be creative.

I personally got myself a treadmill, and I play action videos on my kindle as something to focus on and motivate me while running.

I made myself a customer video with some mirrors edge gameplay and matrix music. It gives me a theoretical form of motivation.

I'm training to be fit enough so that in a chaotic situation I am ready. It doesn't always work, but it's always better than just staring at a blank wall for 30 minutes.

Also vary the intensity and set new goals.

6. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

What like a Tsunami in Newcastle? <laugh>

Seriously though, what?

By chaotic do you mean violent? You should try Muay Thai, it's great for physique and focus and it doesn't hurt that much after a while, you just become numb to the kicks in the kidneys!

7. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

8. Dorty Dogbreath

I've got an exercise bike, rowing machine and weights in my mini-gym at the back of the house. I currently weight about 11 stone 9, and feel as fit as a lop :cheesy:

I'm beginning to look like a middleweight boxer which ain't bad given that I'm nearly 50 :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Anyone tried a Powerball? I've two (one for each hand), its great exercise for the wrist <as if needed>

9. Heed

Heed well known cheat

A great believer that exercise is for other people.
    Personally prefer getting in and out of a chair, but thats getting harder these days, now my weight is approaching 20st.

Stairs are just bastards.

Obi Wan likes this.
  10. Darth Tash

I know a zombie apocalypse is likely not going to happen, but I like to think theoretically and fantasy style.

But situations where, perhaps, I'm being chased, I'd like to have the stamina and physical capability to run for miles if I need to. Most people get an adrenaline boost and then they eventually give in.

I wont.

Dispicable_Tel likes this.

11. Dorty Dogbreath

Aye, I was like that but changed when I got so fat I couldn't see my own (twelve inch) cock. Crash-diet quickly followed.

12. Heed

Heed well known cheat

My goal was to get within 10st of Obi, so I've only 5st to go, before I reach my target of 25st.

13. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

If you're 20 stone I'm 30 then. ;)

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  14. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

30 stone? You must have been running, cycling, swimming, skipping and dieting since I last saw you then.

J. J. McClure and Ellis Short Is like this.
  15. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

How long will it take you to lose that 5 st and hit your target then Heed?

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  16. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I thought you'd come back with 15st...<laugh>

17. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I've just bought a hybrid bike after not owning one for 15 years and I'm enjoying it. I'm not doing the MAMIL (Middle-Aged Man In Lycra) thing with a proper road bike; just enjoy making up routes which include cycle-ways, bridle-ways and roads and going out and pushing myself a bit. Nothing too hard as I have a dicky-ticker but it's good fun - especially on the downhills when you can get some serious speed up. Running is an absolute bastard to me. On foot I prefer a good walk.

18. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Depends what you want and your general condition. Cycling for me is easier on the body. Running is tough when pounding the pavements for many. Some even find the more forgiving treadmills hard on the knees. Beach running is a great way to start off. Cycling is still hard. I find cycling easier as a group thing, heading out with a group of mates. I couldn't do that with running, I like to bury myself for that.

To be honest if you want to get fitter, I honestly believe resistance training is the way to go. Once you get the through the initial strain of weights etc on your body, you get unbelievable gains. You get stronger and I just find it takes up much less of your time. Mix it with interval training. I found the best thing for me was one resistance, then one day interval to start with. I started off with a rower for the interval. I'd mix and match between 1:1 and 1:3 ratios for intervals (30 seconds full blast, 30 seconds "rest", or 20 full blast 60 seconds "rest" - start with longer rest probably but you need to mix it up or your gains drop off). In terms of resistance training you can go a number of ways. Do it as part of a group (loads at gyms or boot camps), get a personal trainer (expensive but invaluable info including nutrition and once you know the routine you can drop the trainer if motivated), or simply get some info from those who do it and do it yourself. I do think the last one can be tough to start off though. Admittedly I have gone personal trainer route as I needed motivation to begin with. You don't need to get massive muscle wise etc, you can just use it to get fit. I just think the short sharp bursts of an hours training or 30 mins interval is easier to manage with work etc, and easier to motivate yourself for.

I had all sorts of issues with ankles and knees from playing football. Never been a weights kind of lad as was always fit from football. However when I quit that I tried running and cycling etc, it was pretty boring. I still do both (although quit both when I first started resistance as they didn't seem to mix well) I have found the challenge of weights and using your body weight quite motivational.

Of course I still ****ing hate the leg sessions with split squats etc <laugh>

19. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Seriously? Why the **** do you think the wheel was invented

20. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, so the only way to find out is to try both sports. Some people are more suited to cycling and vice versa. Do the one you enjoy. It may be that you enjoy both, in which case you can add a swim and boom - you're a triathlete!

If something is easy, it normally ain't worth doing. Give yourself a challenge, or a goal, so there's a result to your training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.