1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Athletic want Paul Cook as new manager !!

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 13, 2017.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Apparently Wigan have made Paul Cook their first choice for their vacant manager's job.

Mark Catlin has stated that PFC have yet to hear from Wigan. However, the man himself has told the BBC he is interested in talking to them......

"Portsmouth boss Paul Cook is interested in talking to League One-bound Wigan Athletic about their vacant managerial role, reports BBC Radio Solent.

Cook led Pompey to the League Two title this season and has one year remaining on his contract at Fratton Park.

But it is understood that the 50-year-old, a former Wigan player, is on the Latics' managerial shortlist after their relegation from the Championship.

As yet, there has been no official approach from Wigan to Portsmouth.

Graham Barrow has been interim manager of Wigan since March when Warren Joyce left after four months in charge.

Kirkby-born Cook played for Wigan between 1984 and 1988 before a brief loan spell back at the club in the 2001-02 season.

After moving down a division by leaving Chesterfield to take over at fourth-tier Pompey in May 2015, Cook led the Hampshire side to a sixth-placed finish in his first season, only to be beaten by Plymouth in the play-off semi-finals.

This campaign, Cook's side achieved promotion with three games to spare, before winning the title on a dramatic final day.

Off the field, former Walt Disney chief executive Michael Eisner is also in exclusive negotiations over a potential takeover from the Pompey Supporters' Club, who have owned the club for four years".

Only last week Cookie told the 'Portsmouth News' that he wished to stay with the club ! Do hope he stays :emoticon-0148-yes:

2. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

I can understand him wanting to go to a former club if he has some emotional ties with them and I wouldn't begrudge him doing so. Obviously, as a fan of managerial stability and given his successful record, I'd prefer him to stay but if he chooses to leave I'd wish him well.

3. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Might be a blessing in disguise as Cook is no doubt a top manager at League 2 level, but if you want to kick on then I believe that you would be better served by someone else who has had experience (and success) at a higher level.

4. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

I have to say that the timing of a few things is taking the shine off of a great end to a season. Doyle, Stevens & now this - it's not ideal - I hope we get everything sorted out in quick time so we can get on and plan - if we don't we won't be prepared correctly for a step up....I know it is not as big as the Champ to the Prem - but make no mistake it is a step up.

5. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Harry any-one?

<laugh>

Sorry I thought I was on the jokes thread

6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I can only assume that the attraction for Cook is due to his affinity for Wigan. This is going to take the gloss off of the promotion although I must admit that I thought that Pompey would do well to finish in the play offs. Cook was erratic last season and many supporters seemed sceptical back in August. A new appointment might suit the team although it will need to be a decision that is not taken lightly. Next season will need to be one of consolidation and I am doubtful if the money being offered by the potential new owners will be sufficient to get the team out of this league.

7. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

This is a story that has no legs. Just shows what can be built up from a tweet from a freelance/BBC reporter with an unsubstantiated source. Someone has put a bet on Cook being interested. Humph...... there's no way Cook is going to move from a club on the way up to a club on the way down. Never going to happen.

8. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Nathan Jones?

I've waited all season to see the look on his face tonight.

Haha!

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  9. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

10. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I think what Cook achieved this season was pretty incredible especially as there were better teams in Div 2. It was an amazing result to win the league but I can recall people posting on this thread in the previous August that fans were discontented with Cook's management skills. As a Southampton fan, I think we always got the impression that he was prone to a meltdown and his interviews with Radio Solent often seemed to full of tension. I was surprised you got promotion in the end even though I think Portsmouth were destined for another play off position.

There is almost a sense as an outsider that Cook was fortunate as opposed to being particularly adroit and I just wonder that, with promotion, a change in manager is probably to your advantage assuming your new owners make an informed choice. Division One is a strange league and when Saints played at this level is seemed very much a mixture of poor teams who should have been playing at a lower level and a number of other better suited to the Championship. I am not convinced that Paul Cook would be the right choice at this level and it is a brave appointment by Wigan at a time when their decision making has not always been great.

EastneyPFC likes this.

11. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I must say, it's kind of disappointing that we don't seem to be able to keep hold of anyone whom we want to if there's any interest in them. Well, that's slightly over dramatic, but when we're losing players and managers to teams in the same league as us or even the league below, it's a bit disappointing as I say. It's like we have no pull really... But then, I suppose most of our players are mercenaries, so what can we expect?

But who would you all like to replace Cook? I'd like someone who has been successful at this level. Nigel Adkins would be a good shout... I'm not sure about Alan Pardew, he's been reasonably succesful with Southampton but has been a bit mixed at Premier League level and it's been so long since he's managed at this level. I can't really think of anyone who stands out. Maybe Ranieri? But he wouldn't come to a League One side. Possibly also Steve McClaren? But then again, I'm not sure he'd come to a League One side either.

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Well, if Cookie does join Wigan; with Exeter City losing to Blackpool 2-1 in the play-off final today; I reckon we should go for their manager Paul Tisdale.

Very good tactically, and has shown tremendous loyalty to the Grecians, having been their manager for almost 11 years. As a bonus, as our new owners wish to appoint a Director of Football, he could bring ex-Spurs hero Steve Perryman with him.

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you may find that Tisdale's loyalty had something to do with his salary at Exeter and his rolling contract. Exeter might be a poor club financially in comparison to a number of others but the Manager was the best paid in the league.

14. SaintLapras

Meh, I'd rather have a manager who has managed at a higher level rather than being a perpetual league 2 manager for the last 8 years.

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

According to 'Wigan Today' newspaper:-

Portsmouth boss Paul Cook is looking increasingly likely to become the new Wigan Athletic manager.

Reports suggest Pompey are resigned to losing the boss who took them to the League Two title last season.

Follow
    please log in to view this image
    Neil Allen

✔@pn_neil_allen

I understand #Pompey have accepted Paul Cook will not sign his new deal and is off to Wigan. Compensation agreed.

11:20 AM - 29 May 2017
    Twitter Ads info & Privacy

The Blues tabled an improved deal to the 50-year-old at the weekend in the light of interest from the Latics, but it is reported that won’t be enough to keep Cook.

It is understood the offer is not going to match what’s on the table at the DW Stadium, and Cook looks set to depart for Pompey’s League One rivals.

So it's all about the money with Paul Cook is it ? Mercenary. Let him go then, is what I say. No one is bigger than the club.

16. EastneyPFC

I think we have to accept that home is a big draw no matter who you are. I wish him well - he delivered on what he set out to do for us and got us up - not 2nd or 3rd or via the heartache of the play offs but as Champions. We just have to pick very carefully who will step into his shoes. Right now I have no idea who that should be.

17. SaintLapras

Cook: "If I’m not here then it will be only because Pompey don’t want me here*"

* Or someone else offers me more money

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I agree with what you are saying, Eastney, but it still leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. Have read on the Portsmouth News site, a number of fans suggesting that perhaps Leam Richardson should be approached by Mark Catlin to see if he would be interested in remaining at Fratton Park as our new manager, rather than blindly follow Paul Cook to Wigan. He knows the club and the players, and may be a sound choice for maintaining stability.

EastneyPFC likes this.
  19. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

If the takeover happens (how's that going btw?), then Pardew would be a good shout. He could attract players and quickly turned us around at that level and persuaded the likes of Lambert and Fonte to join us.

PS, you might win the Checkatrade Trophy too!...:)

20. EastneyPFC

Woops I sadly think stability was always going to be a tough thing to maintain the moment the take over was agreed. Don't get me wrong I am all for it. As league 2 Manager of the year and his previous track record Cook was going to attract attention. To be fair to him if it was another club I am not sure he would go. I like Richardson but they are a team so keeping him may be hard. I like Tidsdale and Atkinson and Pards. Who ever it is let's hope it's a good fit.