1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

You Won’t See Southampton Shirts In Portsmouth...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by St. Luigi Scrosoppi, Jul 24, 2015.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

....says Harry Redknapp.

For your information it is highly unlikely you will ever see Portsmouth shirts being worn in the Championship or the Premier League Harry.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I beg to differ Mr Redcrapp, Kingsland Block 37 hangs his out on his washing line :)

3. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

There's a reason for that Harry, it would be like wearing a DJ when shopping in poundland

4. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

My husband wore one once and nearly got beaten up! They're not very evolved down there and have a massive chip on their shoulders. He was working in Portsmouth and his boss told him to change before there was trouble <whistle>

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I was doing a door-knocking job during our Championship season and was working Portchester. Walked around all day wearing my Saints drawstring bag and asked everyone I spoke to on the door if they knew who was top of the league <laugh>

Don't know how I didn't get into trouble, was a good day though!

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple of Saints shirts being worn around the gunwharf. One by some chavvy blonde girl in a big group of chavs, the other by some hard lookin' musher. Don't think you'd see them elsewhere in the 'muff though.

7. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

If anyone had the audacity to wear anything red &white in Pompey, there would immediately be a petition against it and the council would then ban it.

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Was at fair at Gunwharf Quay and said to a lady selling football plates, 'Bet you can't sell me the one I want.' Upon being told Saints, she looked to her left and right and brought one out from under the counter. Must be what it's like buying cocaine. <laugh>

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

On the whole, my general experiences of Portsmouth have invariably been pleasureable. However, there was one time when I was working down there and I broke off midday to pick up a lad from the end of his Uni time. I packed his remaining belongings from his flat in Fratton and all was ok until two of the male locals heard us conversing.Then it was a case of getting out of Pompey quick before something happened. I hadn't experienced such venom in a long time.

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You rarely see any shirts in Portsmouth, except on people on their way to court.

11. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

You'll never see mine,went there once didn't like it.

12. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

When I was a teen, me and a few of my mates rang up our boss on a withheld number at 1am and told him "You've left your Gunwharf keys in Gunwharf Quays!".

13. Schrodinger's Cat

I was in Portsmouth last Wednesday for my daughter's graduation (three years in Skatesville hasn't had any discernible effect on her luckily - you can take the girl out of Somerset etc) and noticed that the sun had brought out very high numbers of bare torsos of various sizes shapes and indeed sexes judging by the ample breasts on several <laugh> I pointed out several misspelt tatoos to my wife who thought it was hilarious - she described one as a stereotype of a chav which was perfect. I'm sure that the graduates in their robes must have terrified the locals, as there weren't many near the guildhall thankfully. I think they were scared Voldemort was going to turn up.

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Voldermort was out playing games on the common with PL :)

Qwerty likes this.
  15. Schrodinger's Cat

Southsea Common I assume you mean, rather than Portsmouth common, which is the whole of the rest of Portsmouth :emoticon-0100-smile

fatletiss likes this.
  16. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

It does seem that they genuinely HATE us ( not all of them to be fair ) .

17. breconsaint

breconsaint Active Member

I used to play football in a team which was 100% Pompey. They were a great bunch of lads, even though I teased them mercilessly (it was the early 80s).

18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I used to manage a bar in Vietnam. One evening two hard-looking skinhead lads showed up. Turned out that they were from Leigh Park and were die-hard Pompey. It also happened to be one of their birthdays, so I promised to throw a party for them as long as I could sing a song of my choice while the candles were being lit on the cake. They agreed and so I stood on the table and drunkenly belted out "When I was just a little boy...". They took it very well and we carried on partying.

Tommomo and fatletiss like this.
  19. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I was in a barbers in Romsey once and the barber through out a punter who was wearing a Pompey shirt. I thought it was a bit OTT at the time as he wasn't causing any trouble or anything. Still, why was he wearing it? Obviously to provoke some reaction, so, he got one.

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I actually think that barber deserved to go out of business.

Still a good story though.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.