1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

is this the end

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Secret Ingredient, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

I know there has been an article before about this but there was more news this morning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/plymouth_argyle/9411804.stm

they look seriously knackered which is a shame i married a Plymouth lass and lived there for a while and a better bunch of supporters you couldn't meet as was proved last season,despite relegation they put on a show for us,top class and fingers crossed they survive.
    It's bad when any club goes in administration but heartbreaking when it's a team with great supporters esp. one that a few prem teams could learn from.
    here's hoping

GREEN ARMY

2. Hatem Is A Geordie

Hatem Is A Geordie Active Member

It really is terrible. However it should serve a warning to Premier League clubs that have massive debts... get relegated and you're in trouble.

3. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

It'll be really sad to see a team like Plymouth get kicked out of the league for the paltry sum of £15m.

When you think how much cash is floating about in football these days you'd think a few clubs could get together and organise a rescue package for them.

I hope something gets sorted out for them.

4. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

fingers crossed its not :(

5. greenjock

greenjock Member

Its not looking great for us I must admit! Administration is a certainty now and the debts are just increasing by the day. We owe another HMRC installment soon, are about to be sued by the company who layed our new pitch and god knows who else we owe money to. Ridsdale has been "helping" us to find investors, and our current shareholders don't want to relinquish power knowing it will mean a big loss of investment for them. Although the Riddler seems to be helping us out of the goodness of his heart lol, I think he is really muddying the waters as he wants to have some sort of position within the club and is possibly benefeting more as the situation gets worse :bandit:

The 10 point deduction means almost certain relegation again now so the crowds aren't turning up in the numbers we need. It's hardly an attractive propostion for any prospective takeover, but if the club is on it's knees and could be bought for a nominal £1 fee, then you start to see why Ridsdale might be sniffing around. I maybe totally wrong about him but on past evidence I just don't think he's the answer.

Its not so bad if your a club like yours with guaranteed crowds of 30-40,000 even when you were relegated, but when we can't get many more than 8,000 at the moment, the debts are just growing and growing. All credit to the players on Saturday when we won after being down to 10 men, especially when they haven't been paid since December. Also the non-playing staff aren't being paid and in some cases are relying on donations from fans! I know as an ex Sunderland manager Peter Reid wouldnt be the most popular guy on here, but for us he has been a legend. I'm sure he wasnt told the full financial story when he took the job on and he has just got on with it without using any excuses. He has also paid a heating fuel bill out of his own pocket and apparently has been paying the wages of some trainees.

Its sad that football has come to the point where Wayne Rooney's annual wages are equivalent to our whole debt and we are in real real danger of not even existing by the end of the season but TV rules and Sky don't care about the small clubs. How many tune in for a Plymouth game live? If they could guarantee a Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal game on every night, they are going to pay for it. Weed out the small clubs by making sure anyone relegated from the Premier League gets a big helping hand coming straight back up again. Makes what Blackpool have achieved even more remarkable, but this type of club making it to the Premier League will be very rare occurrences.

Anyway sorry to be so long winded, and thanks for the well wishes, Argyle won't disappear without a fight but we really are on the ropes at the moment.

Argyle til I die

6. I feel sorry for the Green army. In the championship last year, now could face a consecutive relegation. They could end up being like Grimsby Town, going from the Championship to Non League quite quickly.

7. Why aye Cabaye

Why aye Cabaye Active Member

Having lived just outside Exeter from when I was 9 until 21, I am firmly on the Exeter City side of the Devon rivalry. However, local rivalries are great to have and I still wouldn't want Argyle or any other club for that matter to go out of business.

8. greenjock

greenjock Member

Well in all fairness we have received a fair bit of support from the Northerners at the other St James Park, which is pretty cool really. In fact the 606 board has been inundated with messages of support from teams all over the country, with the exception of some total ****ers from West Brom and Liverpool for some strange reason, guess it says a lot about the demise of Liverpool if they consider Argyle to be some kind of rivals lol.

Love the Toon fans. Have been to SJP a few times watching Argyle and supporting Newcastle. Used to live in Cornwall and had a mate who was Newcastle barmy. He used to get dragged to loads of Argyle games so a few of us would go to Newcastle games for a lads weekend. I saw Everton v Newcastle at Goodison first game of the season years ago when you had just been promoted. Tony Cottee made his debut for Everton and you lost 4-0 but your fans were so funny and outsang the scousers even when you were 4-0 down. Also saw Gazzas first game back at SJP with Spurs, and the atmosphere was brilliant. Chris Waddle played more infield than I had ever seen him, just to keep away from the touchline. One of my mates was so smashed he pissed himself in the Gallowgate End when the crowd surged. He had to stay in the B+B that night while we went out on the pop.

Also saw a very young Gazza miss a penalty at Highbury but you still won 2-1. I think Paul Goddard scored the winner and I still have my Brazillian/Newcastle scarf, bought because Mirandinha was supposed to be playing but was injured.

I remember a home game with you where we arrived in Plymouth around 9am to head for a pub that would regularly open early, most didnt until 11am back then, and we walked past a wine bar that was chock full of Geordies in black and white shirts and it looked like they had already been in there for a while!

Anyway I have my lottery tickets so you never know lol

9. The Secret Ingredient

thanks for the input greenjock was reading about your owners and what a strange pair they seem anyway hope you come through this

10. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Great post greenjock! Rep!

11. Tiote's Witch Doctor

Tiote's Witch Doctor Well-Known Member

Got a lot of time for Argyle and their fans, especially after the show they put on when we won the championship at their ground, class act.

12. AsprillasFurCoat

It'd be nice to think that there's a bit of heart and a bit of soul left at the top end of English football. That in the cash rich world of the Prem all the clubs hadn't forgotten that in the lower leagues theres a whole country full of real, decent, proper, dedicated and passionate non-plastic fans following great clubs, and that these people deserve the assistance of the 'big boys' at times like this.
    Instead of just being concerned about generating cash as quickly as possible in the shortest time possible, wouldn't it be nice to think that the Prem league clubs understood that for football to continue to be the number 1 sport in this country for decades to come, we have to have a virbrant and succesful tier of lower leagues accross the length and breadth of the country.
    I'd like to see all Prem clubs agree to pay into a pot of money each year that would be used to help out lower league clubs in crisis - not because they're going to get anything out of it, but because it's the right thing to do for the greater good of the game in this country. Somewhere within the game away from banks where they could go and get a handout or interest free loan, payable back over a manageable time. And where the Prem clubs don't expect anything in return.
    I know a lot of people will say 'It's their own fault / bad financial management / people in charge at club xyz have proved their inept owners, don't give them any money, it'll be throwing good money after bad' etc.
    Surely in the world of big business that is Prem football some sort of task force made up of business and financial and football experts and advisors could be set up who would visist the club in question and say 'we'll give you x amount of cash, but in return you have to sign up to xyz set of condition of best practice. (You'd have to have football people who really understand how a money-strapped club works involved, not just lawyers and accountants).

I know something likw this will never happen, the Prem never looks outside itself at the bigger picture, which is a shame. (Until the time when the Prem suddenly isn't the most popular or lucrative league in the world and foreginers start to go elsewhere to ply their trade, then the big clubs will return to raping the lower clubs for their best players and prospects)

Fingers crossed for Plymouth.

13. SirBR

SirBR Active Member

I'd love to see NUFC play a friendly match with Plymouth and all money made from it to go to them to help them out, it's the least we could do for them after last season down there.

Great club, Great Supporters

14. Wein14

Wein14 Active Member

Huge disappointment if this happens. Hope it all works out GreeJock! Kniow you have the Geordies on your side <ok>

15. The Secret Ingredient

excellent idea

@AsprillasFurCoat couldn't have put it better myself :emoticon-0150-hands unfortunately though football is a business and when something like this happens the real people (supporters) are the ones to suffer.

16. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

17. The Secret Ingredient

18. overseasTOON

I always feel sorry for the supporters.

I recall what it was like as a kid in the States when the entire 'soccer' league went bust.

19. The Secret Ingredient

has there been a team go out of existence during this whole process

20. overseasTOON

Chester City I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.