1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

كأس العالم 2022 World Cup Thread!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Nov 10, 2022.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I just don't think there is an obvious favourite. You would expect Germany to be there or thereabouts as it is in their DNA rather than having a great team at the moment. I have a hunch Uruguay will surprise everyone and win it!

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah definitely no outstanding favourite this time round. I also think Germany will have a strong tournament after two poor ones.

I'm backing Brazil or Argentina though (can't decide which but definitely one of them) . Think Spain will do best of European sides.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Brazil have a pretty handy squad…

Libby likes this.
  4. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

MorgansBitOnTheSchneid Well-Known Member

You can see a team from a warmer climate winning. Maybe south American team or is it finally the time an African team win due to being more acclimatised to the heat.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

The heat isn't going to be that hot and certainly no hotter than some previous WC's like USA 94 and Brazil 14.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep, wide open. I'd back Brazil over Argentina personally. Brazil have definitely got a stronger squad. Also, I could see Argentina not making it out of the group - Mexico and Poland could both beat them.

Looking at the groups there is certainly potential for shock early exits. Belgium for me, could go early. I can see Canada causing an upset or two. England are not a slam dunk to progress from their group either.

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Brazil have a stronger squad but I've got a feeling that this will be Messi's tournament and I'd expect Argentina to be strong defensively.

Agree re Canada and England but can't see Belgium failing to qualify though they won't go much further.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We'll see about Belgium. I know they've got De Bruyne but how long have Argentina had Messi and done **** all in tournaments? Belgium have got a lot of players in their mid 30's and past their peak. They are vulnerable IMO.

9. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to watch the world cup without contributing to viewing figures, I recommend the site cricfree.tv. as streaming sites go, it's one of the better ones

10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Why would you not want to contribute to viewing figures?

11. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Still can't get any excitment about this. Usually i be buzzing weeks in advance but none this time. Maybe when it starts i will get more excited. The time of year and the migrant workers conditions just make the whole thing unpalatable

12. SaintLapras

Why would you want to contribute to them? I'm only grudgingly watching the world cup because international football is the best football but the least I can do is not contribute to the viewing figures which will be used by Qatar to celebrate the success of their sportswashing

garysfc and timatoketchup like this.
  13. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

It wont make any difference, it is going to be viewed by billions regardless.

Plus, everyday people shouldn't miss out on something they love because of corrupt ****ers at FIFA and evil governments.

14. SaintLapras

True on both counts. I must admit, I may be forced to use iPlayer or ITV hub to watch any games on while I'm at work... But that's only because using dodgy stream sites probably goes against the it usage policy and would get me into a lot of hot water. Though I wouldn't be able to watch much of those games anyway.

15. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

I understand not wanting to support or even condone the Qatari Gov or FIFA, but please don't feel guilty for wanting to enjoy watching the pinacle of your sport.

The likes of me and you have done nothing wrong and should be free to enjoy the tournament. At least as much as possible anyway!

The Ides of March likes this.
  16. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Now that we've played our last game before the World Cup, can/should this thread be stickied, so that everyone knows where to look for bad puns on any topic, for the next six weeks?

17. timatoketchup

timatoketchup Well-Known Member

Im not going to watch any of it. I know it won't make a difference but I have my own reasons and a conscience.
    If you can ignore corruption and homophobia enjoy.

18. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

I'll be watching football matches, which aren't homophobic or corrupt. Will definitely enjoy!

19. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Agreed. If he’d gone, he wouldn’t got any (maybe a couple at most) minutes. Much better here, getting to know NJ, warts and all.

20. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member