1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread 2020 Hungary - Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 15, 2020.

?

Who will Finish first?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2020.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Valtteri Bottas

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Max Verstappen

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Alexander Albon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

No trophy bots today... I was hoping for a trophy shunt.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Well thats replaced Paul ricard 2019....

Big Ern likes this.
  3. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

It appears before the race an email was sent out reminding teams they were not allowed to dry their grid spots! I hope for albon's sake he doesn't get a penalty.

4. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Haas under investigation for using driver aids? On the formation lap?

Sad as kmags 2 points were the best earned points of the day.

ched999uk likes this.
  5. ched999uk

KMag given 10 sec penalty so he is still in points at no 10. So Sainz up to 9th.
    Albon cleared of grid slot drying.

6. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Not driver aids. It was because the pit wall told them to pit for slicks which is not allowed on formation lap.

7. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

just thinking. Re grid drying. Is there anything to say mechanics working on car are not allowed to kneel on towels?

8. ched999uk

That seem a bit unfair as the team is allowed to instruct drivers to pit for tyres in race so why not formation lap? OK so it's in rules but seems unfair rule.

9. SgtBhaji

Okay.... maybe I'm stupid. But, eh?

10. ched999uk

I had thought exactly the same thing. You wouldn't want mechanics getting wet knees would you.

11. SgtBhaji

Now maybe I'm stupid.... But Jump start, not penalized. Drying the track, not penalized. Told to pit, penalized.... Eh? What am I not getting?

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Is it me , or is Lewis getting a bit above himself with the Black Lives Matter issue ?

Has anyone read the BBC bit from today ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    ched999uk likes this.
  13. ched999uk

C4 and Sky were both sort of questioning him indirectly about why he says we all need to do this together and he then wears a different T Shirt?
    I do believe that all people should be equal.

It seems a bit weird that last week Merc had a non white woman who is a Petronos employee receive the constructors trophy. The weird bit to me is that the only reason she was on the stand was her colour and sex. Surely what Lewis is trying to do is enable all people to be treated equally irrespective of their colour?
    I think what is needed is a new slogan, more like 'All lives matter'.

There is a huge amount of work to change things so everyone is equal and we need to start somewhere.

Justjazz likes this.
  14. SgtBhaji

I think he's absolutely right personally. Other sports manage to show a united front against racism, F1 shows a half-arsed "meh!" front, that's actually been quite pathetic. But... You know, pipe down lad.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  15. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't she be on the stand?

If she had been a white woman, would you have noticed her ethnicity? If she had been a white man would you have noticed his gender?

SgtBhaji likes this.
  16. ched999uk

I'm not saying she shouldn't have been there at all. What I am saying is the reason she was there was because of the team wanted to be seen to be supporting non white people. Is it the case that Merc don't actually have any non white staff other than Lewis so used a 'partner companies' staff?

Everyone should be there on merit, there should be no positive or negative bias.

All people should be equal.

It would be great if all people were equally represented in all walks of life. How do we get there though? Is it by positive discrimination? I suppose that is the quickest way to even things out?

Maybe I am just too out of the loop but I do think all people should be equal. I spent 15 years in the hospitality industry and I didn't treat anyone differently based on sexuality, ethnicity or religion. Everyone was welcome, well unless they had too many kids :)

Not having experienced racism maybe my perception is not akin to the real world.

I am more that happy to learn if my beliefs are not where they should be.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, if I have am very sorry.

17. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I wasn’t offended and didn’t mean to insinuate anything about your beliefs.

But I do think that what is required of all of us now is to examine our own biases, conscious or otherwise, whether or not we think we have them.

As for positive discrimination, I don’t know the answer. The change that needs to be made can’t happen overnight, so the only changes that can be made in the short term might seem a bit superficial, like painting cars black. You have to hope that organisations are serious about implementing more meaningful change in the long term.

ched999uk likes this.
  18. SgtBhaji

F1 (and Motorsport as a whole) is predominantly a white man's sport. At the top, predominantly a rich white man's sport. Take a look at some of the full team photos for Merc for instance over the years, and it's predominantly a sea of white blokes. F1 isn't a particular diverse sport both in team personnel, nor it's fan base. Positive discrimination both on gender and race may not be the answer... But somewhere down the line there has to be a way to encourage designers, engineers, drivers and fans of a more diverse background to get involved and ultimately improve the sport.

Just this week alone in Motorsport, we've had Bubba Wallace roundly booed at a Nascar event (because, you know... racists). Women outting Motorsport "journalists" for sexually harrasing them on social media. That makes Motorsport a fairly hostile place for a couple of groups. That has to be fixed somehow. My wife is a motorsport fan too. She stays well clear of online discussion because of the sexist abuse she's had for her opinions over the years.

Other things we can do is stop going to events held in countries with appalling human rights records against gays and women, events where racism is rife and widely ignored, and do our best to make F1 a sport for everyone.

19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Fair comment , but I don’t like the way he seems to be calling out other drivers for not taking the knee . They are all against racism , just because they choose not to take a knee , does not make them racist . I see by the comments it is of course a very serious subject and as others have said I hope I have not caused anyone any offence .

20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

There was so much fail on the kneel. Not only kmag and grosjean arriving late. Not only some drivers not wearing the t shirt. Not only kimi being thrown a t shirt that he pretended to wear. Not only stroll kneeling then standing then kneeling then standing before kneeling again. Just seems poorly organised. Also wiffs of being a promotional focus on Hamilton and not for a diversity cause