1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 2021 PGA Championship @ Kiawah Island

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by redcgull, May 20, 2021.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

So the 2nd golfing Major is now upon us and we visit the course that has seen many highs and lows both for the individual and the Ryder Cup teams in the past. Roy McIlroy won here back in 2012 and he looked like he would go on to dominate the golfing world after it. That nearly happened, he still won more Major titles, but his stock has fallen since these days in his career. Winning last week has shortened his odds to a silly 12/1 so back him if you must but that's a no from me. For those with a slightly longer memory Kiawah Island was the scene of the dramatic final hole drama of the 91 Ryder Cup where the ever dependable Bernard Langer missed a 6 footer to set off some very wild and chaotic scenes by those bloomin Yanks. The nickname of the 'War by the Shore' was very apt with the host supporters shall we say, being less sporting than they should have been...!!

Anyway, this tournament is for the here and now and there are a few key things you will need from your golfer to do well around this flat, very open and at times very windy course. Obviously its right on the coast so the wind will play a big factor, but the greens will be playing much slower so to combat the windy conditions...

So, we have...

Cameron Smith @ 40/1
    A man in form, that's what we want from our bets, and he is in good form at the moment. This throw back Aussie (you'll know what I mean when you see him...!!) has risen up through the ranks to get himself to 25th in the World rankings where his ball striking skills are on show for all to see. Not the longest off the tee, which sort of goes against my initial remit, but his approach shots to the green from distance are good. Seems to raise his game for the Majors, I'll take him to make the Top 10 in this...

Gary Woodland @ 80/1
    Averages 311 on the driving stats, T20th in greens hit and his scrambling stats are going up and up at the moment. He also plays the longer courses very well, plays a low long ball, which will be tested if the wind blows anything like, coupled with high stats in Strokes Gained to the Field, 8th in the rankings. So at the odds he is and very capable of a top 10 finish, he's in...

Emiliano Grillo @ 125/1
    When you do bet on an outsider then you are taking him with a bit of faith and Grillo might be the one to watch and hope. He's a bit of a streaky player but when on song can hit it miles, off the tee and the fairway, and has a good record in courses on the coast. Ball striking is one of his best traits, (when is it not...!!) but its his putting which at times lets him down. The slower greens will play to that weakness and if it's a going day he could make the Top 10 at a huge price...

Of the shorter ones in the market I do think Bryson DeChambeau @ 16/1, Victor Hovland @ 18/1 & Daniel Berger @ 28/1...

Good luck if you having a play, I think this will be a good tournament with the wind playing havoc to the players...<ok> <cheers>

2. niksboy

niksboy Active Member

Hi very good write up.
    Always so difficult to pick out a player who will give us a run for our money. The young guy Will Zalotoris looked confident at the Masters. I’ve also had a small wager on Rahm and Finau. Hopefully one of them will make the cut!!!!

3. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

As a golfer, I rate betting on golf as near suicidal and harder than ever to pick a winner, given the technical ability and talent knocking about nowadays.
    Yes, it’s nice to have a little interest this week and Kiawah Island evokes happy memories for our club’s professional, Paul Broadhurst, who won both his matches in the 1991 Ryder Cup.
    If I had a bet, I’d probably have a bit on the “ hated man,” Patrick Reed, who’s been playing pretty well this year and certainly has bags of ability and belief.

4. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20210520_073549_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I've done these specials. Also done any player to have a bogey free tournament at 66/1 and backed Xander Schauffelle 18/1 11 places

Pilgrim, redcgull and karlos5001 like this.
  5. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Philly Mick 200/1
    Paul Casey 55/1
    Shane Lowry 60/1
    Garrick Higgo 80/1

All each way 10 places.

Too busy currently to give any rationale behind my selections but it will likely save me some face come Sunday anyway <laugh >

All the best lads, hopefully get on over the weekend for updates.

Grendel, Pilgrim, redcgull and 2 others like this.
  6. karlos5001

karlos5001 Well-Known Member

My 3 picks
    Spieth
    Morikawa
    Palmer
    EW with Skybet 11 places. Good luck gents

7. redcgull

Very true Tam, its a lottery at times trying to pick the winner of any golf tournament let alone a Major, but as you say the ability of the outsiders nowadays there is a lot of value on some of them if you can find them...

Keegan Bradley, 1x time Major winner, 150/1 at the start, tied 2nd at -3 under as well as a whole host of players who most will not have heard of before sat in the top 20 as well...

But the same old story of Rory not getting off to a good start resurfaces yet again, +3 over tied 77th he may well get back to make the cut but don't be surprised if he misses it. The same could be said for the World no.1 Dusty Johnson whos a further 1 shot back on +4 looking at a shortened stay at the event.

Of the ones who seemed to take to the course Brooks Keopka looks the one to be on side with at the moment, a multiple Major winner coming off a knee injury with little preparation but looks very solid so far. In saying that though, 30 players are covered by 3 hots with Corey Conners 2 shots clear at -5 under...

Fingers crossed for our picks as im already letting Gillo go being at +5 for his efforts yesterday despite getting to -2 under at one stage...<ok>

8. redcgull

Moving day, the day that the hosts of the Major lets the course ease up a little to let the straglers back in to contention if they can take their chances, and god knows some of them need to...!! No moving forward for Dusty Johnson and Justin JT Thomas, the top 2 in the World rankings, after they both missed the cut though had JT sunk his 1st attempt on the 18th would have scraped in, just...

Of the rest, 24 sit at level par or better with two veterans of the golfing world sat in the lead, Big Phil Mickleson & Louis Oosthizen -5 under for there efforts. It's great to see, and i do hope Phil hangs around at the top as well but he's always got a double or triple in him nowadays so i think he will fall away in the end. The chasing pack will definitely think they can nail either a first time Major title of in the case of Koepka & Woodland, another one.

It's interesting to see three South Africans in the top 6, and from what i saw last night how Branden Grace is still there or there abouts at -3 under is simply amazing. He couldn't hit a straight drive or approach shot if he tried but boy can he scramble when it all goes Pete Tong...!!

Brooks Koepka is now as short as 4/1 to win it with Louis a couple of points back at 6's, but i've had a bit on Martin Laird, currently sat at -1 under, to get a top 4 finish at 100/1 and Paul Casey at 20/1 to make it top 4 as well...<ok> <cheers>

karlos5001 likes this.
  9. redcgull

Some interest left in for you STH, great picks so far, hope they keep you up in the running over the weekend...<ok>

10. smokethedeadbadger

Only bet i still have running is the top one of these specials at 28/1

redcgull, karlos5001 and Pilgrim like this.

11. SaveTheHumans

Yeah, 4 of them made the cut and 3 are in contention with 2 days to go. I fancied Lowry to do best of my picks and he may well still end up doing so. Casey has been soild, but needs to find that extra gear he often lacks in these events. Mickelson has been exceptional, the course set up and his recent form over the past couple of weeks gave hope to be optimistic, but as you said, he can blow his top fairly easily. He looks more controlled this week though and now he's got a huge carrott there to keep him focused over the next 36 holes. If I had to pick a winner now it would be Oosthuizen, he is playing the best golf around the course and looks in control. No surprise so many Sud Africans are up there with conditions very reminiscent of golf down that way, lots to play for still.

12. Tamerlo

Phil’s front nine was exceptional and magic last night. Koepka didn’t putt well but he’s solid in Majors. Louis has played good golf- his swing is ‘to die for.’
    Being an oldie, I’d love Phil to win and, if his focus stands up, then I hope the course doesn’t take its toll physically. It’s a hell of a long way to walk.
    You have to like the course but how could an average amateur break 100 around there? No chance!
    Anyway, come on, Phil, make history!

13. redcgull

Got to admit Tam watching Phil last night was a pure throw back to the days of thinking your way around the course instead of blasting it off the tee then chipping on. In saying that his tee shots were top class hitting the middle of the fairways on each and every occasion until the that pulled drive in to the water. The drama of seeing a 5 shot lead fade away before your very eyes was great viewing, not so for the fans of Phil mind...!!

Is there a more demanding last four holes on any course on the Tour than these...?? The 17th is ranked the hardest hole on the course, the 18th the 2nd hardest & the 15th the 4rd hardest...!!

If i can stay up to watch it all tonight whoever is in front of the pack will not be a very confident player with these holes to get through to lift that massive trophy. My heart would love Big Phil to take the title and his 6th Major with one eye on Gary Woodland gaining a top 10 finish would be nice...

It's gonna be a fascinating watch with many twists and turns yet to unravel to find the 2021 PGA winner...<ok>

karlos5001 and SaveTheHumans like this.
  14. SaveTheHumans

Phil didn't do a whole lot wrong really, maybe a tad unfortunate to only be 1 clear. He duck hooked that 3 wood twice which cost him severely, the one which ended up in the bunker forcing him to play out sideways was harsh, but that is what this course offers up. He was also pretty lucky on 17? when he slammed his putt at the hole and was foruntate it hit the cup or he would have been 10 foot by for par. Some breaks go for and against though and you have to allow for that. Hopefully his experience and calm nature will stand to him tonight, it would be the biggest winner personally for me if he obliged but if he top 10's, I'll still be very happy. I wish it wasn't Koepka and Oosthuizen around him to be fair, Kopeka is ice cold and an absolute beast off the tee so will be forcing the pressure by being able to give himself opportunities with his approach shots in, and Louis is just pure magic, as Tamerlo alluded too above, the tempo of his swing is tremendous, a real great template for any young player, I feel if the wind gets up as they've predicted, his swing is the one that will not deviate and thus I can see him making the least mistakes. It's very hard to call, it's been a great event I must say. May the best man win.

redcgull and karlos5001 like this.
  15. karlos5001

karlos5001 Well-Known Member

Great shout with Phil. Superb :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0167-beer:

16. Tamerlo

I'm happily tired out this morning from watching all that, but an unbelievable viewing experience. Truly one of sport's great achievements by Phil which will live in the memory for ever.

karlos5001 and redcgull like this.
  17. smokethedeadbadger

Outstanding mate. A 200/1 winner with 55/1 and 60/1 places. Now thats a result

18. redcgull

Superb stuff all round. What a story and what a great watch, even though I left it with Phil and Keopka on the 12th hole when sitting with a four shot lead. Whatever he was doing in this mental approach to the game was well worth it for the now 6x times Major winner...!!

The whole field had chances didn't they, but they all then threw it away with some really poor approach shots and some horrendous missed puts, Mr Keopka…!! But that is what made the drama of watching it all the better for it and some praise must be made to the course set up and the conditions in doing so.

Well done to Humans who called in some pretty impressive selections, well done sir...<applause><ok><cheers>

19. SaveTheHumans

Cheers fellas, over the moon with that result, couldn't have worked out much better. Been backing golf events ( mostly the majors cherry pick a few others) for years now and this is by far the best payout I've ever had on a golf event.

It was great event, course was superb and tested every element of the players game, fair play to Mickelson for conquering all around him and in doing so becoming the oldest major winner ever. I have his autograph from way back when at home somewhere, I wonder if it has increased in value <laugh>

Cheers fellas <ok>

20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Great job STH <applause>