1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A crucial summer.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, May 9, 2023.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

What do you think we need over the summer to be competitive next season?

There is a lot of work needed, and I don't think Wilder will be in charge either. Has anyone heard if he is staying on longer than his to the end of the season contract?

In reality, it is going to be hard to make as many changes as the playing squad need. Realistically, we are going to need a new striker or two at least.

Who is this new recruitment chap? He's got his work cut out that is for sure!

Markthehorn and andytoprankin like this.
  2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

A lot of the attacking players will be going so yes need a lot of replacements.

Even rumours someone like Kone is off so again will need to improve in midfield.

No matter how much there is to spend which probably won't be as much as people hope there will be a big upheaval or turn around in the squad which is why we need to sort the management situation out soon.

Hopefully whatever Manga says is agreed on with the rest of the board otherwise we will just have another Scott Duxbury/Rob Edwards type situation.

Gino will probably have the last say on everything so basically have to do what he thinks is right.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As fans, we tend to look at players performances on match day, but do not know what is going on behind the hedge. Are there cliques where one player influences others into believing they have a right to receive more pay, play every game, or they are too good for a club like Watford? Are there players, who for one reason or another are loners, and do not interact with others in the team? I would suggest that not only playing ability needs sorting out, but attitude as well. This is where a new coach three times a season is a weakness. Before he can sort the personal things out, he is gone because some of the players have their minds elsewhere. Throw in the finances of attracting the right players, keeping the good young ones, and you have a multidimensional problem as an owner.

Bolton's Boots and Markthehorn like this.
  4. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

GT had the right approach - check them out beforehand. If not suitable mentally, don't sign them.

Although I can remember a couple of players from the 60s who were like that, but still successful - Barry Dyson and Dai Ward. Both very good goalscorers, especially Ward, but both 'oddballs'. I actually wouldn't object to us having players like them for a season or so.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Mo Johnston was a good goalscorer for us, but was never contained by GT, and certainly led others astray.

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Especially the women.

I never did hear the full story of why he left - ridding the club of a disruptive element, wanted away when Celtic made an offer (which honestly seemed a little low for someone who had scored goals for fun in the top English League), or something else?

7. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

The club has a lot of work to do over the summer, in many areas. This season has been a hard follow.

8. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that Eton said that he intended to become more involved in the club next season. He said that he had to do his farewell world tour first.
    Am I imagining this? Have there been any developments?

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Yes but nothing heard since so probably a throw away comment ?

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjGKH3SIruo&t=9s

11. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

He might just mean going to more games.

12. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

When did the Eton Private School get involved with Watford

13. F1Hornet

I do think it's a crucial summer, but I think a key thing is figuring out the vision for what sort of football we want to play, and what that means in terms of the sorts of players we need to keep/sell/buy (and what sort of manager we will bring in if the new guy doesn't work out). I think too often we've bought players who, in isolation, might make sense, but don't fit a hole in the squad or, by forcing them into the squad, create holes elsewhere. e.g. if you have Sarr, is Sema the right foil on the other wing? Do we have a striker to work with that sort of winger to put away chances we expect him to create? If Sarr is injured, do you have a second string player to replace him, or does it mean you have to totally change systems when he's not available? A director of football should know the answers to all these questions.

Markthehorn likes this.
  14. F1Hornet

And btw, attitude and personality is also a part of that, I definitely agree. Who are the leaders we'll have on the pitch and in the dressing room? How do we build a true sense of team?

15. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

There is a small part of me that wonders if getting Deeney in as a player coach would work, he would only be able to do a dozen games at most but he was a big influence on the team when he was here

Same with Cleverly but to a lesser degree