1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Fulham point of view

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by fulhamjohn, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fulhamjohn

fulhamjohn New Member

When FFC were originally unsuccessful in obtaining the services of Martin Jol, it is widely reported that they switched their attentions to Mark Hughes as their favourite for the job. Whilst that was true, the first approach was made by Mark Hughes agent to the club rather than vice versa. It was clear that his agent had identified Fulham’s urgent need and that meant that Fulham were not in the driving seat as far as having a strong negotiating hand with the season fast approaching. The QPR situation has some similar shades of a strong position for Hughes with the transfer window almost half way through and a new manager required.

Hughes is using the same language as with Fulham – I am a very ambitious man, etc…..want to know the plans of the club, etc…….want to know what my transfer budget will be, etc. He knows it off by heart and needs no autocue. There is a steely determination in his manner and verbal delivery which we have come to expect, which is motivated by money. A quick fix and pay day-then out. He needs to keep close to the football world and not be out of management too long, as the phone offering new managerial jobs at the calibre of club that he feels appropriate to his talents will cease.

I have watched his cool outward persona on TV after negotiations with QPR yesterday, but it hardly look to be that of a man enthused by the potential of the job. It reminded me more of an ordinary business man who is in the course of getting a great deal on bankrupt stock, knowing they will be quids in when they move it on. Whenever you find a millionaire or billionaire, you can be sure that someone is waiting to help them spend that money.

MH never bought into Fulham and, in fairness to him, I don’t think he ever pretended to do that. It was a cold and clinical business deal without attachment for him. I have no reason to believe that he will be any different at QPR, if agreement is reached.

It was reported that he was disappointed to learn of his transfer budget at Fulham and questioned the motivation of the club to reach the next level. You need to balance that against our own austerity measures as Mo’s primary remit to the CEO was to make the club self supporting on a yearly basis. However, I have some sympathy for his view but it is also a very convenient argument, especially when stalling to sign a contract whilst you are talking to Chelsea about their manager’s job.

Flipping it 180, Fulham’s position was eminently understandable - Why should we give a large budget to a man who is stalling signing his contract? We could agree a budget, MH could walk after signing players or committing us to their signature and a new manager would want his own players to complement the squad. Back to square 1.

MH is nothing if not one of life’s mercenaries. It is probably why he has chosen Kia Joorabchian as an agent. It will all end in tears. Enjoy the ride.

2. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Well, no wonder you didn't give him any money, seeing as you had to save it all to buy that statue....

3. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Couldn't be bothered to read all that rubbish but read the last line which really says it all.
    I don't care about Foolham or what any of your bitter tourist fans think. I know what your club is and seen for myself the 50 away fans you have and many tourists at your ground.
    Go away and bore someone else because at the end of the day MH wanted ambition and a bigger club and he has that at QPR.
    <ok>

4. justmedave

justmedave Member

Did not read it!, Anyone in their right mind would NOT care what foolhams fans think! Just be ready for a very warm welcome when you come down to loftus road

5. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

Some harsh responses lads - he's taken the time to write a reasonably balanced article (unlike some of the Norwich WUMs on here) and it encapsulates some of the worries that I have about him. I have my doubts that Hughes won't leave the moment Mike Ashley flashes his eyelashes at him in say a year's time.

Let's hope I'm wrong and Hughes actually builds something with us.

6. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

What a lot of dross, keep telling yourself and jog on!

7. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

sparky is an excellent manager, took wales within a play off of a major tournament, turned blackburn from average to top 6, didnt do so well at man city, but 5th is where they finished under mancini in the season he was sacked, and again took fulham from around 13th to 8th, ok he may have not given fulham any loyalty but he wasnt given any in his previous job, and i would be reluctant to work under a crackpot like al fayed so i dont blame him.

first chioce jol is doing a splendid job at fulham isnt he (not).

within 4 years i think QPR will be in the top 8 of the PL <ok>

8. Chair Nob'll Fallout

Chair Nob'll Fallout Well-Known Member

I have to say that I don't think the way he walked out on Fulham was right, and there may be some truth in the idea that money is a great motivator for him (isn't it for everybody?).. Frankly though, even if there were the case I couldn't give a monkeys as long as he moves helps us stay up and moves the club forward.

9. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

A well written piece but what is the need for the spritzer brigade to come on here the moment MH signs for us with their pearls of wisdom? It's no surprise he didn't buy into Fulham given the lack of passion at Craven Cottage. Yes, it could go pear shaped for us as well but do I want to discuss that with the Putney luvvies today? No thanks.

10. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

More than a touch of bitterness there. I dont mind if he leaves in a years time as long as he keeps us up.
    Then we will have announced plans for a new ground and training facilities and could attract and even better manager.

Virtually every appointment ends in tears, look at Warnock but is there anyone here that wouldnt have wanted the last 18 months to happen?

11. FFS.73

FFS.73 Active Member

Even if he is a heartless mercenary, if he does what he did to Fulham twice he's unemployable, so won't do it. If he's poached by another club while in contract it can only mean we are doing well, will be easier to backfill with quality.
    This post smacks of jealousy to me - not happy with Jol then?

12. fulhamjohn

fulhamjohn New Member

Sorry guys, this wasn't intended to cause offence. I'm a football fan who happens to support Fulham, and was just offering an opinion on what is bound to be of topical interest to us as well.

I think MH will do well for you, was just giving you my take on where his ambition lies, and I honestly think he will want be elsewhere within 2 years.

Of course, he will probably have improved you and you might be a top half team by then, but the man will be looking at his next role already, so don't bank on him building your empire.

He will also want lots of money spent and that may impact the FFP rules in due course. All the best in peace.

13. Chair Nob'll Fallout

Chair Nob'll Fallout Well-Known Member

Fair enough John... Word of advice though; let us enjoy the moment FFS! <ok>

14. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

15. hammersmith hoopton

hammersmith hoopton Active Member

Is that our new keeper District?

16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

This has to be one of my favourite replies this year. I've just spat tea & toast all over my iPad from laughing.
    Good one Ellers.

17. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well he could burst the ball to prevent the opposition from scoring :emoticon-0112-wonde

18. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Usual "spurned lover" response from Fulham supporter who believed that MH would give him, and his club, all the loving he needed - then he walked away because he didn't like the way you dressed in "small club" clothes (Mo' the Emperor?). I'm guessing MH is no more, or less, mercenary than any other player or manager - and I'm sure that R's supporters are not as naive as you might think!
    Looking forward to MH moving us forward by improving the squad with new players as well as improving the current players in the squad with his methods. It won't be this year, but looking forward to passing you on the way up :) :) :)

19. CFC: Champs £launderx17

That's harsh Ellers.

Average crowd at Fulham 25k
    rangers 15k

Are you still angry about 6-0?

20. ColdharbourR

ColdharbourR Member

I think any Fulham fan is well within their rights to be skeptical about Hughes' appointment at QPR and after what happened at there fulhamjohn probably feels duty-bound to warn us!
    I just hope that this time it's different, he keeps us up and goes on to become a QPR legend (he'll have to work wonders to get this status given he's ex-Chelsea).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.