1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic A rant.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Woodyhoopleson, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

They were talking on the radio today about the fact that we are amongst the most obese in Europe. We consume somewhere between 30 and 50% more calories than we should. We are over weight.

I don't think that body weight is a particularly accurate measure of health, albeit a rudimentary method of keeping tabs on yourself. There are numerous ways of monitoring your stats - blood pressure, resting heart rate, body fat etc etc, which are important stats in the pursuit of good health and are things we should and can know about ourselves with small investment no need for 3rd party help.

That aside, whilst personal responsibility is unquestionably needed, I can't help think there is a huge responsibility on the corporations that sell us their sugary, salty, fatty products to advertise ethically and honestly.

We exist in a part of the world that is profit driven to such a degree that our physical and mental health and more importantly, our children's health is of secondary importance to the perpetual economical growth of supermarkets, fast food giants and on a tangent, technology companies.

Advertising unhealthy foods using language that entices with promises of happiness and other positive emotions, when the reality is diabetes, heart disease, tooth decay is wholly unethical. Sugar, I'm convinced, though not through personal experience, is a drug as hard to kick as any, even those of which the buying, selling and using are punishable by arrest and imprisonment.

I don't want choice removed, I don't want control on freedom, but I believe that the absolute truth about the product should be it's only advert.

Coke, a sugary liquid with chemicals that some people love the taste of. Caution advised, may rot teeth and cause diabetes and other diseases.

Twix, 2 bars of sugar and other carbohydrates and which make you high for 10 minutes, then you'll want another one.

There are some 80 odd products, I believe, listed in the ingredients of a Big Mac, and whilst I'm no scientist, it's not a list you'd want to read whilst munching your way through one. I resent macdonalds for tricking my daughter into wanting their ****ty breakfast as a 'treat' for her birthday and I regret not thinking about this more when I was new to parenting. I'd go down a different road if I could. Indeed, I won't buy them that crap again, until I've at least investigated with them, so they can make their own empowered decisions.

A huge swing is needed in our dietary habits for the sake of our health and wellbeing and it is our responsibility (those of us who exist now) to form and demand a society based on good ethics, good health and a strong moral compass for us, our children and the generations ahead, the lives of whom we are shaping now. Economic profit must be of secondary importance and should be directly proportionate to the corporation's ability to comply with the rules.

We need to make better choices.

2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I think British people living longer than ever, especially since the stone age when people only ate healthy food?

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Heartfelt and understood.

All the information on this stuff is out there and you have clearly read it. That wasn’t the case 20 years ago, when the rant would have made more sense. We are programmed to stockpile sugar and fat in our guts unless we exercise willpower and choice. Get your kids to run around a lot and cook them fresh food. Get them to cook for you. Everything is fine in moderation, as boring as that sounds. A Big Mac once a month isn’t going to kill anyone, unless all they eat is refined sugar and other processed crap.

Watch the salt content too.

4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On the radio here this evening there was an article about obese kids and how schools are writing parents inviting them to a meeting to discuss their kid's dietary needs with a dietician. It transpired that out of 100 or so invited 60 didn't turn up they were basically burying their heads in the sand in denial that their kids needed help as they were clinically obese....

Unfortunately you can't help some people...

5. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Coke is very effective as a toilet stain remover, so its hard to believe people still drink it.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  6. durbar2003

Coke is very good for losing weight, can’t believe more fat people don’t snort it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Sooperhoop, UTRs, Uber_Hoop and 2 others like this.
  7. durbar2003

PS I'm in a bar watching the Wigan game........

8. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Hi Woody and good call for individual responsibility which I strongly agree with.

However, your assertion that weight is not a good indicator of health is about as wrong as can be. Have a look at this https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html

I see the effects of obesity every day in my work and can assure you of the truth of all that's listed.

9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Surely people aren’t so stupid these days to not know that chocolate is bad and cauliflower is good. Food companies are forced to make it painfully obvious what the nutritional content is. People are just dumb/lazy. Get outside a bit and have a salad.

kiwiqpr, Goldhawk-Road and sb_73 like this.
  10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Isn’t it the ratio of fat to muscle and where you carry your fat which is the key thing? You can be very heavy, and according to BMI overweight or even obese, but actually incredibly fit, like many professional rugby players, because you have a lot of muscle. I’m told body fat % is a better measure than weight alone or BMI.

But for most people you can tell just by looking at them - most of us are not fit and carry our fat around our waists which are warning signs. If your waist, measured an inch above your belly button, is more than half your height, you have a weight problem.

11. Rangers Til I Die

Correct. Multiple ways to assess obesity, fat % etc but mostly just needs a quick once over.

Worse with each decade age advancement as harder to shift and bad things happen more commonly as we get older anyway but componded by obesity and other parameters - once again self evident.

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It is doable though, with motivation. I would characterise myself as pretty weak willed, but was scared into losing nearly 2 stone a couple of years ago aged 55 and have had no problem keeping it off. Because I feel good as a result. All reinforced by delighted consultant, who does keep telling me that it’s very unusual though.

13. Rangers Til I Die

Well done
    Well done indeed. I've set myself a target weight and will treat myself to a decent road bike if I manage to get there. Goals do help - A bit like the footie.