1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

ABOLITION OF VAR .VOTE NOW!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, May 16, 2024.

?

VAR Must be abolished

Poll closed Today at 4:10 PM.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Don't Know !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fix it

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

All the best for tonight.

Libby likes this.
  2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah you can't close Pandoras box so it'll never go. I'm just pointing out that even if improved (and there's a lot of room for it) it'll still be **** as the worst thing about it will still be there.

And hopefully not mate but we'll see! I'm confident we'll win tonight though and have been hoping for Wembley all season so will be gutted if we don't.

saintPort&Ginger likes this.
  3. LuisDiazgamechanger

I think Robot referee should be given a try.

4. saintPort&Ginger

upload_2024-5-17_11-44-7.jpeg

LuisDiazgamechanger likes this.
  5. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Get to play in a non var league again next year though. Silver lining

Libby likes this.
  6. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

My mistake, Newcastle. Oliver officiates in the UAE one of which is Abu Dhabi whose rulers do own city.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  7. saintPort&Ginger

You're in a strange position - you obviously want your team to succeed, but that success puts you into a situation you don't want.
    Must do your head in. :)

Libby likes this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh that's the dream but I'd prefer to lose at Wembley than tonight

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

As long as we get through tonight then it's win win really.

I either A) get another season of championship football without VAR including a couple of derbies, or B) get to watch us win a Wembley final with my nipper and save myself about a grand next season :)

10. saintPort&Ginger

Klopp quoted on the Beeb:

11. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

I don't really care. As long as applied consistently and fairly.

VAR slows the game down but also does increase accuracy, even if not always correctly..

Overall though... I don't care as long as everyone plays by the same rules.

LuisDiazgamechanger likes this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

Smart man

13. Turbia Milk

I'd rather a transmitter chip placed in ball and everyone wears transmitter chip around neck.

Use this for auto offsides/did ball cross line. Forget people and cameras trying to determine this type of thing. Quicker and immediate answer.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

Hawkeye works fine for goal line.

I think offside is made a bigger deal of that it is.
    The solution to my mind is simply the rules.

Make it more obvious who is off and when and make the margins bigger so a human can do the job without stopping the game 20 times.

A) change the active stuff such that people standing offside from freekicks are.just off as they are trying to be active be it blocking or otherwise. Eliminate.making a judgment if they were active by calling them active just by standing in there.

B) change the rule such thst a player stopped or facing back in general play is to be ignored until the move towards ball. Just make it clear when in general play they are active. Aka if a goalie is unsighted in general play the player should be considered offside but a player walking back after making a run is to be ignored.

C) make it clear daylight before being off. Centimeters or even an inch one way or the other is irrelevant. Clear gap is the rule rather than "level" if he looks well off he is off. Stop drawing lines. If it's marginal just keep going.w let the lino call marginal v well off. It's his job.

I think in general play most offsides are players making runs. They try to be on, let's just keep the game going

If it's a set play then everyone is active period..if you are in an opponents box on a set play and not active you should be fired anyway.

So of you are thinking to block a player you are off.

If the ball sails 5 miles over your head to a team mate you are still off.

Offside is when the ball is played not when it is received.

I guess this is two different offside rules bur we already have different rules for offside from a throw in

15. saintPort&Ginger

How do you increase accuracy incorrectly? :)

I get what you're saying, but for me the slowing down of the game is of significant importance. Football is not Rugby or American Football, it's a fast-paced, free-flowing game and that's one of the main reasons it's so compelling.
    For me, the trade-off between accuracy and entertainment is very much in the negative atm.
    I've no doubt it's here to stay, but it needs significant improvement. Either automate the offside as you've suggested elsewhere, or leave it to the lino and suck up the occasional bad judgement. A couple of inches doesn't make that much difference (despite what she said).
    I've said several times now that it seems that VAR try their damnedest to find the slightest transgression over which to rule out a goal. This is far from the spirit of the game imo. They should only be looking for serious offences that the ref has missed.
    You could also add in the facility for the ref to call for a review if he's uncertain of what he's seen, like they do in some other sports.
    Scrap it or improve it, but as it is it's a mess.

16. Turbia Milk

Yeah... Accuracy increased bit still far from perfect..

Obviously it is not actually possible to increase accuracy incorrectly... Although it is possible to increase precision incorrectly.

17. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Only if its turned off for all other decisions.

Simplify the rules first. Eliminate the subjectivity but making it much simpler and black and white.

Hand ball for example. Not body knows what an unnatural.position really is and a case for just about anything can be made.

Just make it all or very much deliberate action. 90% of old school handballs were not debatable. It's var and rule tinkering thsts made everything a question.

I discussed offside above. It's fairly obvious how to fix it by taking out decisions about interference etc.

Penalties can be similar. Refs are guessing off the level of contact and players are flopping about like trout on a river bank. Make it more clear, introduce a indirect free rule for lesser stuff if you like.

Imo the same for taking out red cards for pro fouls. If its a pro foul to stop a goal scoring chance then give a pen. Red cards ruin games and should be left to dangerous play only.

19. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

PGMOL is the problem, not VAR. You can’t fix those c#nts, it’s a closed shop.

Sauerkraut Inia likes this.