1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Adam Lallana - Second chance?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Magic Ted, Jul 17, 2015.

1. astro

astro Well-Known Member

It's not blind faith to NOT whinge about problems that haven't even happened yet

All the crying over how bad Benteke is and he hasn't even kicked a ball yet FFS it's tragic

organic red likes this.
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I agree with Jimmy. Lallana at 10-15m is okay i guess. Throwing 25m at lallana cause he improves the squad is a bad waste of money.

You could buy danny ings for 25m and he would improve your squad. Everyone agrees that would be a waste of money. Getting him at a cost of 5m tribunal is good business and you've improved your squad.

Buying lallana for 25m to improve your squad is as dumb as city improving their squad (and lets face it he's better than navas) but at 49m thats a waste of money.

25m can get you potential gems. Firmino, Depay, Suarez, Hazard even Pedro who is better than lallana. Everyone knew lallana was a high risk move with little potential and most likely he had hit his ceiling being 26 already.

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Yea i happen to think Benteke will be good and at the price not bad. Terrible how badly he's been wrote off unlike Lallana who has shown he's an alright player but an absolute ripoff

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

This may sound like a weird concept but why don't we... buy from other leagues?? You know, leagues where we are most likely to get a) better players and b) better value.

5. Jimmy Squarefoot

Does he improve the first team? No - which is what he was brought in to do and it's why we paid so much for him.

And as I said previously, he's a good squad player. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

Yeah but IBWT's point is that the fee has been paid, and he's done ok, so what's the point in using that as a stick to beat him with, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but he's our player and the price tag is now irrelevant.

organic red and InBiscanWeTrust like this.
  7. £10m, £15m or £25m, it doesn't matter because its done and gone. It is history and nothing can change it. Judge the player, not the fee! Lallana doesn't deserve criticism for someone else overpaying for his services!

Edit: I've not read back so if this isn't in context, tough **** :)

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Lol Hazard, Costa and Sanchez cost them £30m odd. We spent £30+m on Carroll and Benteke each.

So yeah, my little world must be weird if I can see the difference in quality.

9. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Don't disagree and I didn't want him at 25... But he's here now so how much he costs is irrelevant.

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

I am judging the player - he doesn't improve us one bit, other than add a bit of squad depth. He's done very little to justify any price.

He's a squad player. <ok>

11. Yes, you are judging him on a price tag that he had zero control over!

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

Removing price to one side, he's clearly out of depth in this team. Does he even start in our strongest XI?

Slows down attacks, poor game intelligence for someone of his age and supposed quality, too much style and not enough style, and most importantly of all - he's a bottler. The lad was practically crying when he played against Saints last year.

13. All based on your previous judgement when considering the price tag :)

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Lol fair enough. But I reiterate, he's a solid squad player - regardless of price. I just think we need to be aiming higher. <ok>

15. What do you exactly mean by squad player?

Reason I ask is because the modern game is a squad game. We rarely see a first eleven with back-ups now. Therefore, to me, a modern day squad player is actually a first team player.

16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Yep. A squad player is someone good enough to start. If you say someone is nailed on for first team that means they are either #worldclass and/or they have no competition for their place.

17. Jimmy Squarefoot

Someone who does not get into your best starting XI.

18. Well, I had a response in mind to that but to save time, see Astro's comment above <ok>

I also pointed out that rarely do teams have a strongest eleven nowadays.

19. astro

astro Well-Known Member

We are fortunate enough to have more than 10 outfield players good enough to start. Not a reason to whinge.

20. It would be quite a bad squad if we all agreed on the strongest eleven too.