1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic AFRICAN CUP OF NATIONS -CATASTROPHE (KLOPP)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Jan 17, 2020.

?

Solutions

Poll closed Jul 17, 2020.
  1. Stop buying buying African players

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Give African players conditions-before buying them

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Don't know

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51152641

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says moving the Africa Cup of Nations back to January "is, for us, a catastrophe."

The 2021 tournament has been moved from the summer because of "unfavourable" weather in host country Cameroon.

And the Reds face losing Senegal forward Sadio Mane, Egypt winger Mohamed Salah and Guinea midfielder Naby Keita for a month in mid-season.

"If we have to make a decision about bringing in a player, it is a massive one," said the Anfield boss.

"You know for four weeks you don't have them. As a club you have to think about this. It doesn't help African players."

The 2019 Cup of Nations in Egypt was the first one to be held in the summer after the tournament had traditionally been staged in January and February.

The decision, made in 2017, to move the start of the competition to June was widely welcomed, especially by top European clubs.

Reverting to a January start also means that the competition will not clash with the expanded Fifa Club World Cup, being held in China in June 2021.

But Liverpool are one of a number of Premier League clubs who will lose first-team players.

"I couldn't respect the Africa Cup of Nations more than I do because I like the competition and watched it a lot in the past. It's a very interesting tournament," added Klopp.

"But, it's an obvious problem that you play a tournament in the middle of the season, although it makes more sense for Africa to play it in our winter when the weather is better for them - I get that.

"But we have absolutely no power - so if we did say 'We don't let him go', the player is suspended.

"If a player is injured and cannot play for us we have to send him to Africa and they have a look and in one or two weeks they are back. Nowadays, it should not be like this."

2. LuisDiazgamechanger

Yes, but he said the decision will not affect African players already with the club.

3. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Hes unlikely to come out and say anything else, but I do wonder if a bid came in for salah or mane, would it influence the descion. Its going to be a struggle potentially losing 2/3s of your front line for a month.

Keita not so much, we have adequate cover and hes not exactly regular now.

saintKlopp and luvgonzo like this.
  4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It is a concern, if it's a close race for the title and then we lose 2 of the frontline it has a massive impact as teams will look at those 2 being out and fancy their chances. Origi has showed himself to be good cover and we're yet to see how Minamino adapts to the PL.

It's hard to buy cover as it would have to be someone like Coutinho who can play midfield and then up top if needed, not a lot of those players around. Havertz might well be a good idea with this in mind.

5. saintKlopp

I doubt we'll be looking to sell Div just yet, then.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

There as girl who worked here who was sacked but just kept turning up for work everyday until they revoked their decision, I imagine Origi would be like that.

7. LuisDiazgamechanger

It is unlikely to be a disaster if these players go to ACON tournament . We have been able to cope with injuries this season beyond my expectation.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He changed his diet...?

9. LuisDiazgamechanger

ACON tournament is once every two years unlike European tournament or the world cup, Can they be persuaded to make it once in four years?. Another option.

10. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I realised I used the wrong terminology in saying summer and winter but I was trying to use the least words as possible to get the point across: summer and winter being the contrast in best and worst parts of the year weatherwise.

THE FOOL likes this.

11. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

keita could probably get injured taking a strenuous ****e. I bet hes got a physio on standby every time he goes the bog.

12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Someone as to keep him busy since Studge left...

THE FOOL likes this.
  13. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

They should all do a Matip and tell them to **** off. Mind you, at least they won't be taking Mbappe off us next year when he's in the middle of his record-breaking first season.

14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Wouldn't make any difference, they'd be suspended until their nation is eliminated

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

There's also a good chance that a lot players might want to represent their country in a major tournament.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  16. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Werner?

17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

No, that was @luvgonzo