1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

ALTIOR

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by TopClass, Sep 18, 2016.

1. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Goes novice chasing this season and not the Champion Hurdle route- all being well.

See the Racing Post article.

I know a lot of you were interested in this at the end of the last jumps season and Henderson revealed it at an open day today apparantly.

OddDog, NassauBoard and Dexter like this.
  2. TopClass

An update on last years Supreme 3rd, Buveur D'air, is that no decision has yet been taken about whether he goes chasing. Barry Geraghty will school him when he returns from injury. (Not entirely sure whether that meant Barry or the horse but Barry is injured at the moment and due back in October)

Why does Barry G school him and not Noel Fehily? Because JP McManus bought Buveur D'air in the summer after the owner put his jumps string up for sale.

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I would have liked to see Altior have a crack at the Champion Hurdle, seems from the article that he has really strengthened up over the summer and now looks like a proper chaser. Really looking forward to seeing him.

4. Double Honour

Double Honour Active Member

There's no doubt that Altior was one of the most impressive winners at last season's festival and I, too, was looking forward to him having a crack at The Champion Hurdle this year. However, I'm not complaining about him going Novice Chasing. It just adds to my growing anticipation of the return of the jumps. It's been a very 'ordinary' flat season, in my opinion, and a very 'long' summer for me!

5. TopClass

Have my worries given that he is a son of HIGH CHAPPARAL! Not what I would look for in a chaser but Hendo knows what he is doing and he must look a big old horse this summer. I suspect if he has any dodgy jumps in his debut he can be switched back to hurdles and therefore holding back Buveur D'air until October fits that logic so they can get a good look at Altior.

I can't say Iv ever noticed but there was a school of thought I read somewhere that Hendo doesn't like sending 5 year olds chasing- anyone a bit more clued up on that idea than me? (Hence why Altior and maybe not BD is going chasing as it stands)

6. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

The Arkle could be a cracker if ALTIOR and YORKHILL both show up!!

7. OddDog

Staff Member

Can't say I've heard that about 5YOs Toppy - in fact he states that Altior is already 6 so if they don't go chasing this season then it may be too late anyway.

8. the don

the don Well-Known Member

I thought he always looked like a chaser making what he did in the supreme even more impressive.... Its defo the right call for me as hes unlikely to have the gears for a champion given his build

beeforsalmon likes this.
  9. OddDog

Staff Member

Just checked, Sprinter Sacre made his chase debut as a 5YO

10. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

There was never much doubt this lad was going novice chasing, he's built for it and it's an easier division than taking on the elite hurdlers in the Champion. He should make an excellent chaser but just remember he could very well end up in the JLT like L'ami Serge did!

Roll on the proper racing, getting near now boys :)

SaveTheHumans likes this.

11. beeforsalmon

FFS there's poor Buveur D'airs future ****ed up being bought by McManus <doh>

12. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

As they say round my way, ‘In Mr Henderson we trust’ and whatever the great man decides is undoubtedly the correct one. Has his ‘brilliant brain’ ever been wrong?!? I don’t think so…

The old boy is, I see, a best priced 4/1 for the Arkle. Not a bet I’d want to place, here and now, given that we are 6 months away from said heat and he’s never jumped a ‘big ‘un’ on a racecourse! You can also get 9’s re the Champion Hurdle.

13. TopClass

Will probably win the Pertemps off 130 :emoticon-0102-bigsm

I really like him and would not oppose him if he gets soft ground anywhere. Thought he got badly found out on the quickish ground at Cheltenham (although it was also far better opposition)

14. beeforsalmon

Yeah he's a very nice type but a purchase by JP is never good news if you wish to see them fulfill their potential. Between Barry stopping him and old boy Frank Berry overruling trainers it never goes well. I recall a similar sort Modus suffered this fate last season!