1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

An Emotional Thread..

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by JoRvIk-ViNeGaR-jOe, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Now then lads,

Iv'e been picking the pieces up of my beloved Lorraine all day after the expected but still painful death of her Granddad in the early hours of this morning (bowel cancer). It bewilders me sometimes that 'how many knocks does a person have to take before the happiness shines again'? In Lorraine's case, she has me her rock to give her the belief in life, pick her up and dust her down..

I haven't personally had these knocks yet in life, my Mam & Dad are alive, old but fit and well and besides my grand parents dying when I was very young, I haven't experienced the sensation of loss but I have supported close people to me, throughout their losses..

My thread is not a 'Grim Reaper' special but a thread for my fellow Safc fans to open their hearts (if they want to), to the inner strength they feel in coping to the loss of a special one. My lolly is going through so much sad today but the closeness she had with her Granddad was as special as special could be..

Thanks lads..

2. Uni_Mackem_MAHons

Uni_Mackem_MAHons Active Member

My dad died 2 and a half years ago and today is especially hard, but i cope. you have to. I just put my head down and got on with things. I'll never forget but I dont let it get me down. Thats just how I work, got that from my dad. My mam still has some trouble, so ive got to cope for her as well.

And im always thankful that i had the 9 years i had with my dad. thats whats important. And im glad he wasnt around to see us get beat 5-1. It would have killed him

3. Billy Death

Billy Death Guest

Time is a great healer Joe, your lady will come through this.

Let her grieve, things will get better over time.

Good luck mate.

4. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss

i lost my granda Ronnie on thursday in similar situation, so many people use things like this to self destruct ive decided that i wont let that happen to me, instead of dwelling on the pain of loss i will use the all the good memories of my granda to inspire me to be a better man

5. bald-in-guelph

It's a tough time; the toughest of the lot right now mate. My Dad died 15 years ago and I miss his every day. There's not a day passes when I don't think about him. I often think to myself "What would my Dad have thought about this?" "Wish I could have shown him this" etc. It's Father's Day today (here on this side of the water) but that doesn't really mean anything to me at all. I have "conversations" in my head that I imagine would have related to things that are going on now, had he still been here. Hope this helps mate. We all go through dark times. Grief and sorrow is just the price we pay for loving the special people in our lives. If you don't get to endure the "privilege" of grief then you've never really had anything worthwhile in this life.

6. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

I lost my Mam 19 years ago in a car crash in Florida (I wasnt there but my Brother and Sister were critical) it was on their 2nd day of the holiday so i didnt see them for another 2 weeks, that was hard. Time does help though.

Also this is fathers day but to me i am just not into it at all, my wife was 8 months pregnant with my 1st biological son (got 2 stepsons and 2 daughters) and had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago today, the Funeral is tomorrow, as again my Dad and Sister are coming back from America today so couldnt have the Funeral last week.

You will never get used to it, but the fact i have already lost my mam in a tragic way, has sort of helped me cope with this loss, but my wife hasnt had anyone close to her die, so she is going through a bad time, but then i know it will hit me tomorrow at the funeral, it always does, and sure i will cry buckets for both my Mam and my Son.

It does get easier though. (and yes i was sick of people saying that to me 19 years ago lol)

7. bald-in-guelph

My thoughts are with everyone who is suffering a tragic loss here. Everyone who has contributed to a rather emotional thread.

8. Thanks lads for the contributions..

Chunky, Bald, Steve & others, thought a few times about posting this as I'm more of a reader than poster now and the topic didn't seem apt but again you lads enlighten me as to what the Safc family is all about..

Cheers..

9. trouble_n_stripes

trouble_n_stripes Active Member

Sorry for your loss, my Father passed away nearly on 2 years now. Believe me time is a healer..............

My mum's took it bad, obviously. Unfortunately I have no contact with her anymore due to her and our loss
    because there were times she has wanted to be where he his. She took it out on us during the first 12-18 months
    as we were to blame, which was difficult to take, but that's life. We all have to go through it.

10. giggitygiggity_blackcat

quite simple really for me. friends and if possible relatives. lost a father in rather bad circumstances and as i said, my friends and relatives never let me think too hard about it. looking back it was all abou tkeeping my mind occupied and helping me to look at the better things in life, i.e. the future and what i had att. good luck mate and all the best

11. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Well you have managed to get an old man crying again you buggers. Joe you sure are getting some **** coming your way mate and Steve I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

I lost my dad 12 years ago and my mother is very ill now, I dont expect her to make Christmas. The thing that gets me is what was said when my dad died and what I hear now about my mam. Said in a well intentioned way but hurts all the same, the question I get is,"How old". My dad was 73 and my mum is 85, when I tell the peson asking the question I get an, "Oh well, a good innings", I know what they mean but its still a loss that hurts.

All that said Steve, what you would have given for a good innings mate, xx for you all.

12. bald-in-guelph

Agreed Syd. My Dad was 73 when he passed.. My Man was 87 last weekend. Same sort of age as your folks. There`s no such thing as a `good innings`to my mind either. Regardless of age, the loss of someone dear is the same.

13. BDU 98

BDU 98 New Member

Grandfather died age 59, worked all his life ,his holidays were the bank Hols May and august , used to drive down to Bournemouth Saturday morning stay there Sunday drive home Monday afternoon.
    Guy I know lost two daughters with heart defects one died just of stage performing ballet, wraps his son in cotton wool

14. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

and that post BDU wont be deleted, why not try and hang around without wuming mate.

15. murray out

murray out Well-Known Member

your lass is lucky to have you by her side m8, sadly death comes to us all at some stage, and no matter how bad things are for her at the moment, like another member said, time is a great healer, this coming from someone who has lost both parents, my dad when i was 12 and my mam when i was 23. Keep up the good work my friend as Lorraine needs you more than ever

:emoticon-0150-hands

16. safc1978

safc1978 Well-Known Member

Im sorry to hear about everyones losses & bad news

Its hard at times and you wonder why does this happen to good people i guess we all just have to be there for our familys & friends & help them all the best we can.

my wife was expecting our second child in october like steves wife she had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago the worst part of it all was when she had her last scan seeing the baby on the monitor but with no heart beat i felt so numb.

I really hope everything works out for everyone good luck

17. murray out

murray out Well-Known Member

no wonder we were voted britain's best fans, we are immense

18. Steve, me and my ex-wife Julie lost one at 8 months a good few years ago and my heart goes out to you mate. Be-strong mate for those around you & so so sorry..

19. Ditto :emoticon-0150-hands and many thanks mate..

20. redfender

redfender Member

Jo, sorry to read about Lorraine's loss but I know that the pain will reduce in time but will never go away completely, not that that is such a bad thing for you will remember both good and bad times in the future. You will laugh and cry at all the memories and somehow it helps relieve the sadness and pain. I lost my Dad in 1968, we burried him on the Thursday and West Ham beat Sunderland by 7 goals to 0 on ther Saturday and Pop was a die hard Sunderland supporter and I did think at the time that he would have been so upset wherever he was on that day. He took me to see Shackelton when I was 5 and I've supported Sunderland ever since. Many years later a friend from London gave me a couple of West Ham programmes from Sunderland games down there, one of them was the 7 nil thrashing we took all those years before. I have to say when I saw it I thought of my Dad and smiled. Please give your lady a little hug from the SAFC family here on not606, perhaps it will help her through this sad time.