1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

An excellent relegation

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by crumble bungle, May 25, 2016.

1. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

We can and we did. With inferior managers. Look where we are now. Would we have gotten Rafa but for our **** position. McLaren would still be our manager and the crap would continue. Look how long we stick with Pardew. Yes, there is no such thing as an "excellent relegation" but having Rafa at the helm seems a better prospect than finishing 17th with McLaren and knowing that more of the same is coming.

2. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

you are hoping he is a better bet long term, time will tell?

3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You'd rather be managed by Steven Taylor in the Premier League than Carlo Ancelotti in the Championship, for what you hope to be just one season?

It's not a ridiculous statement mate, regardless of how you look at it, they're looking at the bigger picture and adding a sprinkle, or a ****ing skip-full of hope.

Personally, I'd rather be in the Premier League with Allardyce, although he's about as likely to win anything as Iain Dowie is of making the cover of GQ, but he does offer entertainment in his press conferences, he's a likeable guy and he's a ****ing good manager at making sure he gets the players, playing for the shirt.

And I think Rafa's a fat scouse ****, but that's nowt to do with it <laugh>

4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>
    Me too! Although we've played some nice stuff under Allardyce mind - nice to watch and, to be honest, winning trophies isn;t the first aim for next level - I'd like a boring mid-table finish or 2 or 3 thanks! No relegation fears thank you very much!! If we put a nice league or FA Cup run together then that'll be fine but I'm not so bothered about that! Just no going into april losing sleep over whether we stay up (yes, I am that sad!)

5. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Pretty much. It's a hope. A greater hope than anyone else under MA has offered. No guarantee of success and there's more chance of me attaining a single figure handicap than there is of Rafa winning anything but, you never know

crumble bungle and The Relic like this.
  6. Tel (they/them)

The reality is mate, if you're in the bottom 10, you're likely to be involved in the scrap at some point.

In the bottom 10, only Everton and Watford had a comfortable ride this season, the rest were involved at some point, nervous... even Chelsea fans must have been twitching.

I think you'll be involved in some degree, but probably get safe a bit earlier, maybe like West Brom this season, which I'm sure you'd take.

Allardyce has developed his game a lot at West Ham, they played some great football in 14/15 as well as this season just gone. I think he's a different guy from the one who managed Newcastle, so there's probably no right/wrong opinion of his style when comparing.

Nacho, Deleted and seabreeze like this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

Try telling that to Cardew... he thinks none of you even considered who you've had previously, when deciding if Rafa is or is not a good appointment.

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Pearson looks like hes going to Derby will hopefully cause them so problems.

9. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Of course we have!! Part of the reason Rafa has had such a euphoric response is due to the fact we have had utter ****e managing us for years . Well over a decade in fact!! Perhaps young Cardew was winding you up (or attempting to)

10. Tel (they/them)

He defo wasn't on a wind up attempt, I like him a lot otherwise I'd have taken it to the Newcastle board and mugged him off.

11. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Haha fair enough. He's a canny lad to be fair and seems switched on. I'm surprised he'd make such a statement. I guess we all have our moments!

TEL likes this.
  12. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Finally!! Somebody outside of Sunderland has noticed this <diva>

Nacho and marcusblackcat like this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Aye it seems like there's a perception of Allardyce as being a manager who plays crap quality but effective football, partly as a result of vocal Newcastle whingers, but he's as capable of moving with the times as anyone. In fact I think he takes pride in it.

14. Deleted #

Where do I start with this <laugh>

That makes out like Allardyce managed the first 5 games taking 8 points and then he only managed to win 5 out of the next 25 Premier league games. He only managed 24 games for you...

You didn't get relegated due to Sam being sacked <laugh> How childish :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

Sam has never been relegated (unlike some Spanish waiter), he didn't have you in a position to be relegated. You should have stuck with him and you wouldn't be in the mess you are now.

He didn't play the Newcastle way <wah><wah> (whatever the **** that is)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-must-rue-letting-sam-7950377

Newcastle must rue letting Sam Allardyce go - not having him has relegated them TWICE

Two Newcastle relegations, seven years apart, and one common denominator: Big Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce was hounded out of the Toon dugout while in mid-table during the 2007-08 season, only for the Geordies to plummet into the Championship without him just over a year later.

This time, in a dish of revenge served straight from the deep-freeze, Allardyce turned up at Newcastle’s closest rivals – and here inspired a victory which ensured Sunderland stayed up, while their fierce foes were condemned to drop.

Add in the fact that his old hate figure Rafa Benitez is in charge at St James’s Park and it really doesn’t get any sweeter for Wearside’s Big Kahuna.

Allardyce, whose own trumpet will never rust through lack of use, does deserve immense credit for masterminding Sunderland’s annual relegation jailbreak, which also sent Norwich down.

It is the fourth time in succession, under four different managers, that Sunderland have slipped the noose.

The challenge now for Allardyce is to succeed where Paolo Di Canio, Gus Poyet and Dick Advocaat all failed and build on this latest escape.

He must certainly feel wanted here. They sing his name at the Stadium of Light, which they rarely did – in a positive way - at his previous three clubs. He could be elected mayor of Sunderland. Or perhaps its gum-chewing sheriff.

He keeps teams afloat in the Premier League, does Allardyce. Builds them, drills them, keeps them up. It’s what he does.

One of Allardyce’s January signings, centre-half Lamine Kone, was the unlikely two-goal hero after Patrick Van Aanholt’s free-kick had sent the Mackems on their way.

And two more mid-season recruits, Jan Kirchhoff and Wahbi Khazri, were hugely influential in midfield.

15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

That's the aim though - to be comfortable by march or there abouts. That would be a next level season from where we've been recently.

Although it has been unbelievably exciting to finish the season as we have the last few years! Just don;t want to be worried about relegation!

Agree with the last paragraph as well - Allardyce is a different type of manager now and had us looking good going forward with the players we have. I know Newcastle were awful to watch under him - but the problem he has is that he followed closely to the Keegan/Robson etc. era. They have been dire before and after he's been there as well but there are a lot of short memories

16. Tel (they/them)

One thing worth noting about Allardyce (much the same as Pulis) is that to the best of my knowledge he's never seemed to have lost the dressing room.

I think owners get bored of him and his strategies, but he'll never be out of a job for too long. That's my honest opinion.

17. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Champion’s League Prediction League Champion
    Forum Moderator

To coin a phrase, where do I start with this.

<doh>

"So you weren't going down with him."

Recognise the quote? The implication is that we went down because we got rid of Fat Sam. We didn't. We went down for a myriad of other reasons not connected to Fat Sam. Even if we had kept Fat Sam there is/was no guarantee that we wouldn't have gone down anyway given how bad some of the other decisions being made were. As an example Dennis Wise as a Director of Football.

We aren't talking Fat Sam nowadays as his style of football may well have changed/developed but when he was manager of Newcastle the football was shocking and only vaguely resembled what most people would recognise football to be. I know as I was there and watched it.

At the time that the decision was made it was the right one. We may have stayed up the following season with Fat Sam but nobody can guarantee that that would have been the case particularly given how badly we were being run at the time.

As I said before you don't keep a bad manager just in case the next one is worse. To then define who is and who isn't a bad manager is subjective but my criteria says Fat Sam at that time was a bad manager. My criteria does not solely rely on do we survive in the PL or not there is much more to it than that.

As for the "how childish" comment is that the best you can manage? Really?

18. Deleted #

<laugh>

Apart from a few years with Keegan, that has always been the way at Newcastle. Just like at Sunderland. We have always watched **** football, not sure why SA coming in giving you that should make any difference.

You gave Sam Allardyce just over half a season, that is how incredibly naïve and fickle you supporters are. You gave a manager coming into a club just over half a season to get it right, it took him that long to properly get up to speed with Sunderland. Just over half a season, keep saying that to yourself <doh>

The one thing that will remain in the record books though. Allardyce has never been relegated. Benitez took you down at the first attempt <ok>

19. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Some of them can't go back farther than Kevin Kloggam & John Hall mate.
    You know, the entertainers, everyone's second team, jump on the bandwagon, where's my A-Z so I can find the ground, sick of playing that **** Spanish side, who are they again? Can't remember but it begins with a B...................
    The Jawdee Nashun, we're special, everyone loves us, we've always had 50,000 crowds & 20,000,000 on the waiting list since football began in 1996.

They still worship "the Keegan way" even though the man was a total failure.
    Not easy to blow a 12 point lead with three games in hand is it? <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

20. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Aye, well done, Rafa <applause> . . . . surely he deserves some credit for that :huh: