1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic And in good news...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Onionman, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Sick to death of all the bad news in the world?

Cheer up. This stuff might not be reported on widely: conflict and anger maximises engagement on Social Media (hence why their algorithms point you at stuff to make you unhappy).

The fact that it's not widely circulated doesn't make it insignificant. In fact, it probably makes it even more important that you know about it.

This isn't a thread for political debate or for knocking. If you feel like arguing, maybe it's time to get off your screen and go and listen to some bird song.

2. Onionman

On 30th December, 87.2% of Britain's electricity came from renewables and nuclear power.

National Grid’s electricity system operator said a new record was also set for the share of electricity on the grid coming from zero-carbon sources – renewables and nuclear – which supplied 87.2% of total power. These sources have accounted for about 55% to 59% of power over the past couple of years.

From https://www.theguardian.com/environ...period-of-low-wind?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

And...

2022 was best year ever for UK renewables - reaching 40% of all electricity demand for first time ever! Up from 10% in 2012.

From https://www.businessgreen.com/news/...-2022-fossil-fuels-send-energy-prices-surging

Good news!

3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I'm with you Vin there. After a bit of a wobble over losing my dog a month before Christmas and then getting Covid for Xmas, I turned into a bit of a misery guts. I even broke my 14 month no drinking stint.

I'm back now, happy for the times I had with my lovely little girl, glad I got Covid so I'm unlikely to get it again over the next 2-3 weeks (it is rife), happy Covid meant I missed the Brighton game, and back to being teetotal. I have also not posted on social media (except here) for over a month. Who really cares what I had for breakfast and how 'wonderful' my life is.

Even a few days back to no alcohol and my mood has improved and I am beginning to look at things again positively. Oh and the nightly meditation is back too. I wouldn't say I am totally back to the irritating positive person, but getting there. Life is too short to be miserable. Why worry about the worst happening - if it doesn't you have worried for no reason, if it does you missed out on being happy until it happened.

Onwards and upwards in 2023.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

What did you have for breakfast though :bandit:

5. thereisonlyoneno7

Lol nothing - never eat breakfast, ever. Rarely have lunch and only eat once a day :)

saintrichie123 likes this.
  6. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

No breakfast.? No wonder your mood fluctuates.<laugh>

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

It all started a few years ago when I did the 5:2 diet. I then went from 3 meals a day to 3 a day 5 days a week. Then realised I didn't get hungry in the morning so skipped breakfast everyday. Then realised that after a fast day (where you eat 600 cals all day usually in the evening) that I didn't get hungry as I had trained myself to do the two fast days in a week. So resorted to one (good) meal a day around 6pm. Kept it up ever since. That said, I had lunch today lol.

SaintinNZ and Schrodinger's Cat like this.
  8. Onionman

9. Onionman

Utrecht before and after:

10. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

I thought EVERYONE knew that, it was always a hot topic when we were kids and I invariably inform people of the fact when I first meet them. also it's a failsafe response in job interview situations when the candidate is invited "Is there anything you'd like to ask us" Although I've never been successful in a job interview I can always tell they're impressed when I reply "There is actually.....do you know how many metres of rope are required to grow 25 tonnes of mussels and filter millions of litres of water a day?" Vin just writing this makes me wonder where the water impurities go?

Irving Washington

Archers Road and Onionman like this.

11. Onionman

Into the mussels I suspect. If the impurities are toxic then we're not going to be able to eat the mussels. But the water will be cleaner.

Washington Irving.

milton archer likes this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This is correct. I don’t think anyone was suggesting that mussels grown in polluted water could be eaten, but later generations of mussels certainly could be.

George Washington

milton archer likes this.
  13. Onionman

14. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Hey, smashing post & hopefully a nice, positive ongoing thread. I very much like to keep up to date with local, national & worldwide need / happenings but tbvh the last 3 yrs troubles & constant bickering, back stabbing has turned me off. Love this idea :emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  15. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

That’s admirable. I’m your balance!

16. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

Thanks Vin,

Major Major Major Major

Onionman and ChilcoSaint like this.
  17. Onionman

I read that book* from cover to cover every single year.

That also makes me happy.

Vin

*Catch-22 for those not in the know.

18. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Some people think it is a book about war when in reality it is a book about economics.

Milo Minderbinder

The group’s mess officer, Milo ends up starting a business—M & M Enterprises—that delivers black-market goods throughout the Mediterranean. It is not clear how this business works, since Milo appears to be selling goods at a loss, but he claims “everyone” in the group “gets a share.” Milo eventually begins dealing with the Germans to expand his business, and it is revealed he has been named mayor or leader of various countries throughout the Mediterranean region.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    milton archer and Onionman like this.
  19. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

A feel good story of a life saving bone marrow donation.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  20. Onionman

That's super! Aren't human beings wonderful?

And if you want a chance to save someone's life just pop along to www.dkms.org.uk and register. It takes a minute or two. They'll send a swab that you use to wipe the inside of your cheek. You return it and, if you match anyone who ever needs them, your stem cells could save a life. For 90% of people ever called upon the cells are harvested from blood so it's utterly trivial.

A customer of mine a few years ago needed bone marrow cells. I knew his situation and I'll never forget the conversation when I said "see you in six weeks" and he, ever so calmly, said "no, there wasn't a suitable donor so I'll be gone by the time you come next".

I know that's a sad tale and this is the happy thread but the cheerful part is that for about five minutes of your time now you could have the unutterable joy of knowing you might save a life later.

Vin

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023