1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Any fancies for the Epsom classics?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, May 11, 2024.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6f sprint?

2. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Doesn't matter. Bellum Justum beat Inisherin over 8f and that colt ran a good race over that distance in the 2000G. Ryan just decided his future lies over shorter distances. No-one downrated Reference Point's Dante victory over Ajdal just because later Ajdal won the July Cup.
    I'm not saying Bellum Justum is a leading fancy for the Derby but at 33-1 looked a long price. This colt (bred to stay much further) could do no more than beat a classy horse, Inisherin, over 8f as a 2yo.

Ron and OddDog like this.
  3. Bustino74

With Soft/Good to Soft forecast for Saturday Ancient Wisdom must stand a great chance.

4. Bustino74

The greatest horse AOB has ever trained is now joined as joint favourite by his stablemate Los Angeles. What are we to make of that?
    The money must be coming from somewhere but does it make sense? He won a fairly weak Derby Trial on good to firm after winning an end of season (false) Group 1 in France on very soft ground. Commentators are saying he's the one who will be suited by soft ground: but more than Ancient Wisdom? I believe that Irish money (and others) believe AOB will win the Derby but have lost faith in City of Troy so cling to the next piece of horseflesh. A dodgy logic to my mind.

I see Willie Carson has wondered how on Earth CoT can win the Derby.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Forest Fairy is unbeaten and stays 12f. Not run on soft but her sire is Waldgeist, who stormed late in the mud to thwart Enable's third Arc triumph. Could be anything as she hasn't beaten much. If she enjoys the ground she could be the one finishing best

Just had a quick look at the form though and noticed that Galileo Dame beat Rubies Are Red by 3½L and Forest Fairy beat Galileo Dame by 2½L, despite a poor start and waiting for room 2 out. On that basis 8/1 looks a decent price. She is entered in the Ribblesdale, the Irish Oaks and the Arc so clearly 12f is her distance

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The 8/1 has gone

7. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

It'll almost certainly be Ancient Wisdom for me on Saturday.