1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are all players and staff double jabbed ?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Jul 21, 2021.

1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-await-double-jab-news-8162570

Canaries Trust chairman Robin Sainty said he was happy and not particularly surprised to hear the news, but stressed that the safety of supporters at Carrow Road has to be the priority

Boris Johnson

"I should serve notice now that by the end of September, when all over-18s will have had their chance to be double jabbed, we are planning to make full vaccination the condition of entry to nightclubs and other venues where large crowds gather"

No mention of the players being forced to take the vaccines which I presume means they don't.

2. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Players should ask Stiepermann if he recommends getting vaccinated or risk long Covid symptoms.

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

Would getting vaccinated stop them getting long covid , or spreading it ?

4. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

My (non-medical) understanding is that it won't stop you spreading it but should protect you from getting the virus... So no hugging Teemu when he scores against Liverpool if you get a ticket.

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

It doesn't stop you from catching it spreading it or dying .
    It apparently lessons the symptoms but you need a never ending series of booster shots .

Even though most of us have over 99% chance of not dying and if you catch it your natural antibodies should immunise you anyway .

The players won't be forced to take the shots just the supporters .

I'm just glad my last ever live game was Man City.

6. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Not going to get into this argument Dunc. Your choice not to get jabbed.

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

It's going to be mandatory to attend football which is my issue , but not play in them or coach them.

So technically Pukki could infect the vaccinated fans if he celebrates with them if unvaccinated <confused>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think in general there's a difference between requiring someone to have a medical procedure in order to maintain their current employment, and making it a requirement for attending a particular leisure activity.

I don't believe the club have had any access to vaccines ahead of the general population, meaning given the age range of our squad, some are probably double vaccinated, whilst some have probably only become eligible for their first jab recently. So I doubt all the players are double vaccinated. In general, I don't think an employer such as NCFC can compel employees to receive a vaccine, even if they'd like them to. I would imagine the club have done their best to educate the players on the risks/benefits, and encourage the players, but it remains a personal choice. If that has failed to persuade them, I think players who aren't keen on being vaccinated would realise that vaccine passports seem inevitable for overseas travel, and staying unvaccinated will make international football, seeing family, holidays, etc considerably harder.

If a player is insistent on remaining unvaccinated, that's a personal decision.

Virology 101: At a basic level, a virus enters your body, hijacks your cells and turns them into virus factories. Cells producing viruses don't function properly, leading to all kinds of symptoms. Your immune system has to learn how to defeat the virus, and then do so. The time it takes for your body to learn how to defeat the virus, and achieve it, determines the degree of symptoms you experience and whether the virus is fatal or not.

A vaccine doesn't stop the virus entering your body, but it teaches your body how to recognise the virus and how to defeat it. So your body may be able to stop the initial infection from taking hold, or stamp it out quicker once it has. You essentially remove the entire phase of a viral infection where your body has to learn how to handle the virus, whilst the virus is busy spreading throughout your body. Fewer cells get damaged, you experience reduced symptoms, and there's less damage to repair once your body has cleared the infection.

So, because you can still get infected, you can still spread the virus. But a vaccinated person will produce fewer viral particles, for a shorter period of time, and so the chance of them infected someone is greatly reduced vs an unvaccinated person.

Long Covid, whilst still poorly understood, is much more common in people who experienced significant symptoms. So being vaccinated should reduce the chances of Long Covid.

It doesn't stop it, but it greatly reduces the chances of symptoms, spreading it (in particular to vulnerable friends/relatives), or dying from it.

Personally, if I need a booster shot that takes 10 minutes every six months, and that allows me to return to a 2019 lifestyle, that's a trade I'm more than happy to make.

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

So it would be unfair to force players to take the jabs because they are the employees and not enjoying a leisure activity like the fans, is this the same case for the staff working as security or in the food outlets?

Surely it would need to be every single person that enters the stadium or an unvaccinated burger shop worker could infect and kill all the rest of us vaccinated people, plus after September when I take my 3rd I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a double jabbed person .
    They would put me at risk of catching it.

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Outside of healthcare settings, I don't believe it is legal to require staff to be vaccinated. I think it's a grey area in healthcare settings too.

90% of vaccinated people do not even catch the virus, those that do have much milder symptoms, and an ~80% reduction in hospitalisation risk. Of the more than 128,000 people killed by Covid in the UK, less than 150 were doubly vaccinated.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

So if the vaccine passports start in September exclusively to the triple jabbed , everyone that's only taken two would be disqualified from entry until they get their 3rd too ?

And every 3 to 6 months time and forever .

Even people who have previously had covid and have natural antibodies.

12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

You mean like your season ticket starts in August, exclusively to those who bought in the last few months. Everyone who had one a year ago or two years ago is disqualified from entry until they get a new one?

And that happens every year? Even for those who previously had season tickets?

To give a non-facetious answer, yes it's likely that vaccination passports have an expiry date, but with no solid data to hand on how long vaccination protection lasts, I'm not going to speculate at the optimal spacing for boosters, or how long vaccination passports will/should last. It will also depend on how long CoVid presents a serious threat. Of course, that will be extended if vaccine uptake is low.

Equally, at least within the UK it's already clear that vaccine passports won't be required until everyone has had ample time to get vaccinated. That policy will no doubt remain if updated protection is necessary.

13. DUNCAN DONUTS

Wow .

If watching live football means I will have to be injected every 3 to 6 months to keep a "season ticket " then I think I'll pass thanks .

If I had suggested such a crackpot scenario 3 years ago you would think I'm mental, but seemingly this is the new normal and completely rational.

Clearly the first 2 vaccines don't work so why would the 3rd or 4th etc ?

I don't even like taking antibiotics because it lessens your immune system , I dread to think what half a dozen covid jabs does.
    Each to their own.

14. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The vaccines do work. By this point the Covid19 vaccines are among the most well tested medical interventions of the 21st century, vaccination in general has been studied since the 1790s. Even if you don't want to take my word for it, you can bet your life savings that credible scientists, doctors, epidemiologists, etc would be shouting it from the rooftops and making headline news if there was a shred of proper evidence that they don't work. That vaccines work is not something I'm arguing. There is no evidence to the contrary. That's why Andrew Wakefield's MMR "study" in the early 2000s was such a sensation, because it had results with a veneer of respectability that were at complete odds with established medical knowledge. It took time to establish that the work was entirely fraudulent and greatly damaged opinions on vaccines.

That protection can wane over time, or become less effective due to mutations in the virus is also completely expected. That's why there's a new flu jab every year, a process formalised in the 1970s.

It strengthens your immune system. That's been common knowledge since the 1800s. If you want to ignore over 200 years of progress, it's a shame that it's not just your own health you're risking, and it's clear that there's no point continuing to making a good faith effort to help you understand vaccination.

16. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Yeah there is a big difference between vaccinations and antibiotics.

Vaccinations stimulate your immune system. Whereas antibiotics do the fighting for you (with collateral damage).

I can understand the worries about antibiotics as they can harm all your good bacteria in your stomach. Needs must sometimes though.

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

I have taken all vaccines required of me and even some more exotic ones from for travelling.

You are confusing vaccines where you introduce dead cells from a virus to stimulate antibodies to naturally form ,to immunise against catching the illness like TB or Polio.

These are safe and effective and last a lifetime in most cases .
    I have no issues taking vaccines or giving them to my children.

I also had chicken pox as a child so I have natural antibodies , this is my understanding of our amazing immune systems.

These new vaccines are a synthetic computer generated genetic code that gets into your cells to replicate and manufacture a Coronavirus spike protein.

Never been tried before on humans.

It's the deadliest vaccine trial in human history to combat what for most people is no worse than the common cold with a 99.9% survival rate .

I was in Wuhan in 2019 and left December 7th , I had a heavy flu out there and in all likelihood covid recovered.

These vaccine passports aren't about health they are a coercion tool to force people to take this admitted never ending series of injections to go to football matches concerts and whatever else they keep adding to the list until you have a 2 tier society and effectively medical apartheid.

If you want to take part in a medical experiment where we have no idea what long term effects arise that is your choice .

For now we still have the right to bodily autonomy.

Most will go along with it purely for convenience to keep their jobs or travel on a plane.

I'm not sure what point in time humankind gave up on our miraculous God given natural immune system in place of digital identification and endless injections.

The most disturbing thing is healthy children have a near 100% survival rate they are too healthy to even catch it yet some countries even insist that they are jabbed and eventually given freedom passports too.

If the FA have given players until December to take the shots this doesn't really make sense rushing it through for the fans .

These shots also void your health and life insurance as they are still not approved for market so heaven forbid a player that cost £50m has an adverse reaction or dies clubs will not be insured for their assets , the drug companies have been given complete indemnity from prosecution so the FA would have to be held responsible if they make the decision .