1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

are things REALLY that bad?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary on the weald, Jan 31, 2014.

1. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

i know many are despondant about this season,but are things that bad? we sit in 12th place with 24 points. what did we expect? we are a small city club(we must be the smallest city in terms of population to have a team in the pl)with limited resources. the truth is we do well to stay in the pl,which i for one am confident we will do again this season. i wish things were better,i wish we played with less fear and more conviction but can understand to a extent why we sometimes dont. i wish rvw had hit the ground running,and scored more,but he has not. hopefuly he will improve i think he has the potential but needs to get used to the physical demands of the pl.all things considered ch has not done too badly for us,although i accept performences could(and must)improve.it is a shame some are talking about not renewing their season tickets. one thing norwich have got is a good name for solid and loyal support(i work all over the country talking to fans of many clubs and know this to be true. i travel 3 hours to home games plus take in a few away games and would love to have had more to cheer,but things dont always go great. lets all stick with and support the lads like we have down to league one and back again

2. Russ Martin 2

Russ Martin 2 Active Member

No, I don't think things are really that bad and I can see us finishing in a similar place to where we are now.

OTBC

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

No, things aren't that bad. It's just that many people have raised expectations. Good chance of a mid-table finish and another good sized transfer budget to improve the squad in the summer.

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I agree that 'things aren't that bad. In our first few games, we played quite well and competed until our back-to-back visits to Manchester, which happened about the same time as we lost Tettey to injury (I know other teams have suffered injuries to key players) and then we lost Howson and Pilks. I'll be quite happy if we pick up 4 or more points next month, which would see us marching towards safety. I'm going to renew my season ticket in the next couple of weeks and If we get relegates, then so be it. C'mon you Yellows!!!!

5. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Things are definitely not that bad, indeed I'd go further and say that things are really quite good. The trouble is it's a message too many people simply don't want to hear. <ok>

6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I agree things are nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe, some want us to run before we can walk, and several want us to spend the sort of money that almost cost us our club, paying wages for the likes of Holtby and Ledley!

7. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I may have supported signing both players, but I must admit I never realised Ledley's Celtic wages are £15k p/w more than Hooper was on! Holtby would only ever have been possible if Spurs paid half his wages.

Things aren't bad, no, but it doesn't feel like it would take a lot to make things really good. If we could bring in an attacking midfielder who could both create, and get back like Howson, then I think we'd start to be able to provide our excellent strikers with the right type of service.

8. RiverEndRick

Agree with that Dave. Fans who were anxious about our staying up two years ago are now expecting miracles. I'll be content with 'evolution not revolution, but I suspect many will want success straight away, no matter how unrealistic that may be. There are only 4 teams that have have been in the PL less time than we have, but somehow we should be storming to the top. Get real people.

9. RiverEndRick

Agree with that DH, but my hopes are falling that an ACM will be signed. Having said that though, I think we have enough to survive comfortably this season and make some quality acquisitions in the summer.

10. carrabuh

carrabuh Well-Known Member

Evolution or revolution

We have neither, just alot of money spent to play the same as if we had worse players.

The thing which is really good is we are in the Premiership, as we were two seasons ago. The difference however is we have apparently better players who are playing football nobody wants.

I really do not understand the logic that you have to be dull and defensive to stay in this league and to play differently is unreasonable and beyond our limitations.

11. tipsycanary

tipsycanary Well-Known Member

If someone said you will be 12th in the prem and debt free you would say that is pretty damn good. Especially if they said it a few years back.

If you read many threads on this board you would be forgiven for thinking we were bottom of L1, with no money, having to sell the stadium to avoid administration. Basically you would think we were in crisis.

12. carrabuh

Please point these out because I've never seen anyone put it that way.

Basically again, it is a case of people thinking better football is out of our reach and to expect it equates to the misrepresentation you make above.

13. tipsycanary

Results are more important then style. Or do you disagree?

14. carrabuh

Results are a result of style, thats how I look at it.

You play better football you get better results

You play worse football you get worse results

You play defensive you get more draws and less losses and less wins.

You play attacking you get more wins and a good chance to draw rather than lose

Its not guaranteed, but neither is the myth that ugly football keeps you up.

Furthermore, you don't have to be ugly to be defensive but unfortunately, we are.

15. tipsycanary

I agree we are bad to watch. But football is about results. No you don't have to play ugly football, but I wouldn't say defensive football is always bad to watch. I don't think playing either attacking or defensive football makes much difference to the number of wins/draws/losses as you suggest. I would say that positive football is how you want your team to be playing. Not attacking but decisive in how they play, pass, tackle etc.

Basically we are not playing the most attractive football, but things are nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Currently we are the 12th best team in the country, incredible as it may seem. Now is not the time to panic buy because some think we are in trouble, nor is it the time to sack our manager in the hope things will suddenly change. Assuming things don't go drastically down hill between now and the end of the season we should take our time to carefully assess the situation in the summer. Then the board can make sensible and informed decisions in the right way to take the club forward the following year.

16. Home on the range canary

Home on the range canary Well-Known Member

depends what is meant by better football, and of course it is possible to play more attractive football and get better results or not, there are no absolutes, other than going round in fecking circles over and over and over again,like a monkey with a minature cymbal

17. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

18. carrabuh

If we are the 12th best team in the country then it is quite the embarrassment for the top Division. We are not the only ones of course, Hull, West Ham, Palace (I assume), Cardiff, Stoke, all pretty dreadful teams that no sensible neutral would want to watch.

None of them can pass a football.

19. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Quite often I want to disagree with Carrbuh, but he does have a point.

I wonder what would happen if we played the 12th team in La Liga, Bundesliga etc..... Would be interesting to see how we would get on.

20. carrabuh