1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we now a boring team?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Magic Ted, Aug 19, 2015.

1. LuisDiazgamechanger

How good we're defensively is going to be tested to the limit at the Emirate. 0:0 ,1:1, or 0:1 good result.
    Wonder if we are going to keep a clean sheet.

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

No we need to be barca like in our attacking and Chelsea like in our defending winning 4-0 each game, only then will Rodgers be doing a half decent job <ok>

3. moreinjuredthanowen

this <ok>

3 in a row 1-0.

now ok... we were waiting for suarez to return but this mythical football only turned up for 11 games when both sturridge and suarez played.

How do we know benteke and sturridge won't strike up a patnership of some type?

who the **** kknows.

what we do know is we have coutinho, firmino and ibe and thats all you need to create.. the crying shame is we have lala too.

4. Jimmy still wouldn't be happy though <whistle>

5. moreinjuredthanowen

over rating cheslea defence there and under rating barcas.

6. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Being strong defensively doesn't mean we become a boring team. Not sure why many think this.

People think that buying a DM is a defensive signing - as we saw when Lallana came off for Can against Stoke, it transformed our team.

But when you have a manager who doesn't know how to set a team up, this is what you get. Toothless in attack and suspect in defence.

7. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

2 games
    2 cleansheets
    3 shots faced on target

#suspect

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

At the end of the day, it's about winning games. And statistically, you're likely to win more games by not conceding and scoring 1, than relying on your attack to score 3-4 every game to compensate for a poor defence.

Not many people were calling Mourinho's team boring last season when they found the balance between attack and defence. They only called them boring when Chelsea were in a good position for the title and became more solid.

9. I don't think this, my comments are based on our previous discussions where you've said numerous times you'd prefer a strong defence and win games 1-0 over an exciting performance that see's us win 3-2 etc :)

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

Great stats. I can show you stats where Henderson has more goals and assists than Iniesta last season - but I suppose that makes Henderson a better player?

But if you think getting a clean sheet in the manner that we did means our defence is sorted, then I can't really argue anymore. <ok>

11. Having a good defence and not conceding gets you a point, you need to score goals to win games.

Chelsea were called boring all last season.

12. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Give me a clean sheet and a Henderson assist every game <ok>

13. Jimmy Squarefoot

Yes I do - but I also said I wanted us to clean sheets by having a strong defence and midfield unit. We don't. I'm not fooled by these clean sheets because our defence is still suspect.

Our midfield were outplayed by Stoke and bournemouth - bournemouth finally attacked our defenders and gomez struggled in the second half and Lovren was caught out a couple of times.

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

you won't get a clean sheet every game if we continue to defend like we have this season.

15. Jimmy Squarefoot

I'm not sure who called them boring all season. They were brilliant for the first half at least. They scored 73 goals which was second to Man City.

If that's boring, then I'll take it.

16. Jimmy Squarefoot

And for all the talk of Skrtel being hindered by having Johnson next to him - now he has Clyne and still looks sh*t.

17. Fair enough, you should explain yourself better then <whistle>

Seriously though, I'd think we'd all like a solid defence with an exciting attack, it's just very rare you get both. I'll always take the exciting attack over the solid defence if if its a case of one or the other, you'd go the other way which is fair enough. I think that is where the 'boring' tag comes from. Its not boring if you like the defensive side of the game more, bores me to tears though <laugh>

18. Jimmy Squarefoot

But why do you assume that by not conceding, we won't score goals? This is the frustrating thing.

19. They were brilliant in the first half a dozen games, not half the season. The bookies started paying out in October and Chelsea went into second gear for the rest of the year.

20. I don't, I going on your "keep a clean sheet and win 1-0" approach