1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are you into other sports or is football your only passion?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Now I know we all love our Spurs and the beautiful game, even if the bastards give us heart attacks! But do any of you take much interest in other sports and are there teams/ people you support outside of football?

My other main sporting "love" is MMA, most notably the UFC. I've been a fan of it for about 4-5 years now and have recently purchased tickets to watch the upcoming event this Saturday at the O2 where the main even sees one of the light heavyweight divisions' top stars - Alexander Gustaffson face off against England's very own undefeated Jimi "Poster Boy" Manuwa. It's the first time I'm going to a live UFC event and I feel like a kid at Christmas, really cannot wait. UFC is supposedly the fastest growing sport in the business and it's not hard to see why, the vicious fighting techniques make for a brutal but gripping watch (most of the time) that just keeps you fixated until the bell rings or a fighter is KO'd/ submits.

I also like a bit of rugby (preferred playing it than watching it), don't support a club side but tend to watch the odd international. Boxing is another I enjoy, I went to the Haye and Chisora fight at Upton Park a couple of years back, was a decent experience. My cousin is a semi-pro and so I go to watch him when he fights, probably more entertaining than the pros as each fighter just looks for an early KO to impress any visiting promoters/ coaches.

2. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

I religiously followed UFC from UFC1 to about UFC80. Royce Gracie - what a fighter. He showed everyone that size and punching power is not important if you want to break bones or even kill someone.

It had to go full commercial to survive, and to stop serious injuries, and that's where I lost my interest. My thirst for blood was not being quenched, and certain fighting styles were becoming dominant which made it a bit boring for me.

British boxing still commands some of my sports viewing time. I've probably seen more live boxing than professional football over he past 12 months.

3. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Tennis. Play it and watch it

4. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Love my motorbike racing and F1 mainly away from football, but I'll watch most sport. Watching England in the one dayer v Windies atm. They've had to dive off...literally! because of one of those rain shower storm things, the pathetic attempts of the half dressed crowd trying to take cover! <laugh> I've been on holiday when that happens, you may aswell give up and just sit in it!, by the time you've gathered your **** up to run its just about passed over.

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah can't argue with that Inda, I've seen videos of the Gracie era and boy was he a man of skill. Was much tougher back then too, fights had no time limit and tournament style fighting 3 opponents in one night if you're to be champion. I suppose with the way the world is now, it was only a matter of time until it became more commercial with a more health and safety aspect added.

There's still enough blood thirsty fights though to wet your appetite, UFC 165 which features Jon Jones and Alex Gustaffson was an immense fight. Both fighters were completely ****ed after 5 rounds of war. Bones had lips the size of cucumbers and his eye was near enough swollen shut due to a cut in the first round where as Gustafsson's head was split open from an elbow by Jones. It won fight of the year but it's arguably the best fight I've seen since watching UFC on a regular basis.

Dan Henderson vs Shogan Rua was another war. Shogan's face looked like a jigsaw puzzle by the end of the fight!

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If it wasn't obvious, I do like my wrestling. At the moment New Japan's top of the bill, because whilst in WWE they tend to pull their punches, in Japan they regularly have that added layer of realism by having two guys literally beat seven bells out of each other in the ring. For example:

[video=youtube_share;QloFFF6nDMo]http://youtu.be/QloFFF6nDMo[/video]

Charlie Adam wouldn't last thirty seconds!

7. junction8spurs

junction8spurs Active Member

In the summer I get my "fix" watching cricket.

Sitting at a quiet ground watching cricket with a few beers is very relaxing after working all week.

You can sit in your with a pint in your hand, for the smokers at lords there are areas where you can watch the game with a pint and smoke without leaving your seat!!

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I like watching Wimbledon, that's really as far as it goes for me and tennis.

Loads of my mates love F1, they buy the computer games and one or two go Silverstone. I just can't get into it, wish I could as I wouldn't feel left out of conversations at times <laugh>

9. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Watch and interested in a few sports but,not passionate,Used to play Baseball,so thats one and Judo,I take an interest in

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Loved WWE when I was younger, ironically I watched the recent Royal Rumble, first even I'd seen in about 10 years, was rooting for the long haired guy with the Polynesian sleeve but Batista ended up taking the victory (surprise, surprise).

Those Japs looks deadly, WWE should look to follow down that root, would certainly result in better entertainment and may even draw my attentions back into it.

11. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Rugby. I got forced to play it at grammar school, well it was either play Rugby or stay at school and do extra work instead. I finally learned to love the game and played club Rugby through until my mid 30's.

I always still loved football though. Even used to play in a lunchtime 5 a side league in my 20's to help keep fit.

12. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I'll watch pretty much any sport, although the only other team i really support is the England rugby union team.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I may have to suddenly start attending Cricket games <laugh>.

Must admit while the sport itself doesn't interest me greatly, I'd love to experience a day with the Barmy Army at an Ashes event.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I loved Rugby in school, actually got knocked out once, was out for about 10-15 seconds (apparently). Our school tried starting a rugby league amongst local schools but couldn't get enough interested parties which was a shame.

15. totsfan

Afraid i'm Wales when it comes to Rugby Union,every six nations when i was young the house was full of welsh relatives,so if you can't beat them,join them

16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I was ever so slightly gutted that, when I was in Japan last year, I couldn't get tickets to a New Japan show in Tokyo. Not least because the two main event matches were ****ing amazing when I caught them on Youtube, so I can only dream about what they were like live.

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Never played Baseball, always wanted too. Played rounders at school and that's about as close as I came lol.

18. totsfan

Used to play for Croydon Bluejays,most of the guy's in it had Canadian connections

19. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

You'll probably have a better weekend than me this weekend then <ok>

20. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

You need to be a petrol head/speed freak...both preferably! :) get yourself down an A road at 150+...it'll cure you, or scar you for life! <laugh>

If you're mates are F1 you might know about the knew engine rule. Its only a 1600cc turbo this season. <yikes> what they squeeze out of that is just plain wrong.