1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Argyle...V...Bristol R

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jul 27, 2019.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

These are the ones who initiated it: standing as you can see in the middle of the block. I know they long for the old Zoo Corner where there was always the chance of a confrontation with away fans but why don't they go and stand in the Devonport End where it's accepted practice and the stewards don't have to interfere?

please log in to view this image

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep they were the ones I saw. Fat boy is old enough not to be a complete idiot and the younger ones look like his kids. If so then they haven't fallen far from the tree. I'm all for people having a good time and I am all for a few shouts and even naughty ones it is football after all. But, offensive is not on and to deliberately set out to be that is worse. They can see who they are and I don't care if it is a friendly or not, chuck them out and don't let them back. I'm getting too old to have to suffer idiots.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From that photo...no one around them seems upset.....in fact everyone seem happy and laughing.

That was photo No49 off of GoS.....and the girl was named as Laura....are you sure they where the culprits ?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

One draw back with pre-season.....new defender Will Aimson has not played as yet....so the Wootton/Canavan defence is still there.....Wootton is not improving from what I've been reading....and trialist Ben Hall had an unfortunate start yesterday.
    The lack of any main central attacking force yesterday failed to take any of the chances brought on by Mayor and Edwards good play....and when they went off we became rather toothless.....So we have no idea how good Dom Telford could be...and how would he play with Ryan Taylor ?.....Telford still getting over an injury from last season and Taylor's reputation for having glass ankles will not go away.....it is hard to see how Taylor could be a force like he was in 2017/18 season, his offering since then is literally non-existent as a player.

Palmer got good reports and Cooper hasn't let us down either.....but the defence needs strengthening ....it is disappointing that Wootton's career has stalled...it started so well at Man U....of course if things had continued well for him...he'd be nowhere near Argyle....is it injuries that have dragged him down....I'll check that out sometime. There had been talk of two young strikers regarding a loan.....one was Niall Ennis and was the other one Blair Henderson....seems to have gone quiet on that front.....whatever happens we need someone coming in up front.....I can't see Taylor playing more than 15/20 games a season...if that.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been looking Wootton up.....he kept dropping down the pecking order at clubs....generally after a cock-up....giving away a last minute penalty....scoring an OG in the last seconds of a game....silly things at important critical moments....it looks like it all stacked up and undermined his confidence.....thinking of his time at Argyle and it all seems to be a mirror of his career....now a good manager might be able to get him in the right mind set....that of course wouldn't have been Derek Adams.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Yes because they are both (with others) mouthing off on Twitter. The older guy in the black shirt is getting a really good view of their backsides and that's the problem when a few morons insist on standing in an area where the majority want to sit. This lot want to commandeer those end blocks in the Lyndhurst as a new Zoo Corner. It's inappropriate for a number of reasons:
    1. I can only assume they want to be close to the away fans and that is in itself deeply unhealthy,
    2. It's adjacent to the Family area and as we've noted elsewhere, the Club needs to attract new generations. Parents don't want obscenities being hurled at them from both sides.
    3. As I understand it, the football clubs have an obligation under safety regulations to ensure that all-seater stadia are just that. A blind eye is turned where large numbers of fans insist on standing in traditional "Kop" areas where enforcing the rule is impractical and the fans don't want it. The Liverpool Kop is a prime example - they don't want to sit down and nobody is going to make them, short of the Royal Armoured Corps perhaps. We have unsanctioned standing in the Devonport End and that's fine but we can't have small numbers of fans deciding to colonise other parts of the ground. I do think limited Safe Standing areas are a good idea but it bothers me where we'd put one at Home Park. It can't be at the Barn Park end of the ground as we don't want our most excitable fans close to the away fan areas for safety reasons, The obvious spot is the middle blocks of the Devonport End but I suspect the terracing would have to be re-profiled which would be costly and disruptive. Alternatively it could go in the the corner between the Devonport End and the Grandstand as new construction when the next phase of development takes place. I'm not sure that's big enough or that those currently in the middle of the Devonport End are going to want to go in that corner. It's pointless unless we get a happy balance where all those that want to stand can do so and nobody's standing in a seated area.
    I accept that I jump up when a goal is scored or something, I can't help it, but then so do the majority around me and in most parts of the ground. I do feel a bit guilty when I sit down again and remember there are older people or kids behind me who I've prevented from seeing what's going on! Obviously that's the last thing on these 3 oiks' minds!

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't feel guilty about jumping up notidstant because even us old gits do it. That is natural. From what I saw and to be fair it wasn't a great deal because I was watching the game, this group were on their feet giving it GBH of the ear hole and clearly defying somebody. I think a younger bloke got a bit agitated and he was asked by 2 police officers to go down to the front for a talk. After that not sure how it all went but I now believe he was "asked to leave". Maybe he threatened to shut them up personally. However, I would say that the 3 in the photo, older bloke, younger girl and lad, were determined to do what they wanted and to some extent the reaction around them encouraged it. Many seemed to think it was funny and were laughing.