1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal sign Cedric Soares

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Jan 31, 2020.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

The 28-year-old has joined Mikel Arteta's side on loan until the end of the season but he only has six months remaining on his contract at Southampton.

He will compete alongside Hector Bellerin for the right-back slot with the Gunners and revealed he nearly joined the club previously in his career, but did not specify when.

Soarez can also play left back and will provide Arsenakl with additional defensive cover. Aisley Maitland Niles is expected to be moved into his preferred midfield role.

Arsenal technical director Edu said: 'Cedric is a defender with good experience of the Premier League, and of course at international level.

'He is another strong addition to our defensive unit who will provide our squad with quality. I know he is a player who plays with absolute full commitment and energy.

2. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I think this is quite an astute signing by the looks of things.

28 years old. Consistent at his job. Portuguese international. Experienced in the Premier League. He works hard and has a lot of pace. Seems to score the occasional free-kick, too. Low wages. It's also only on loan, so if things don't go well, we've no obligation to purchase him permanently.

However, it's great that we now have solid cover at RB, especially with Hector's recent injuries. Saints fans say that his crossing is horrific, which would worry me considering that's a big part of a right-back's duties. But so long as he shores us up at the back and helps us as much as he can, I'll be content.

I wonder if this means Maitland-Niles will get more game time in midfield. Arteta did suggest recently that he doesn't see him as a future wingback/fullback.

winifred122, gooner4ever and TheBear like this.
  3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Some outlets saying Cedrick is expected to be out until March with an ankle injury.

Southampton were apparently looking to get rid of him as his fitness has beena constant problem. :emoticon-0114-dull: