1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by THE FOOL, Oct 4, 2022.

1. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Usually I'd agree, but on current form I can not.

He is part of the problem for the gaps. He's been caught time and time again this season, by far to high, then he can't get back.

I'm unsure why he hasn't come in for more critism, he's been one of our worst players. I'm assuming because he's not actually in camera shot, still trundling back when the ball goes in, people havnt noticed.

2. LuisDiazgamechanger

Arsenal rested eight players yesterday against Norwegian champions Bodo/Glimt..

3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I think Hendo is a must if we're to persist with Trent a a free role

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Why is Hendo a must? Henderson has literally played as RCM with Trent this season and offered no protection (bar the Rangers game - where he was really good but our whole tactical set up changed where Trent was a lot deeper and Hendo didnt go forward).

Put Fab in the same set up and I'm sure he will be much better because there is less space to cover and get overrun.

5. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Fab came on against rangers and looked really poor. I’m one of his biggest fans but he’s hit some poor form and just looks knackered and really immobile at the moment. Maybe because he’s not had any rotation/rest over last few years. Maybe just needs a couple weeks to recover and go again

6. Jimmy Squarefoot

Lol but Henderson has been just as bad if not worse this season. The Rangers game is skewing opinions now - Hendo put in his best performance that game, which was helped by the fact that we played in a much better and stable system. I'm glad we finally tried it and I hope we persist with it. The personnel we have now better suits the 4231.

As I say, Fab has been poor this season and looks a little short on confidence but he's not been helped by being completed outnumbered in the middle of the park because of the lack of cover on the right flank. That's not blaming Hendo or anyone - it's just the stupid tactics that Ljinders and Klopp tried ti implement this season - taking too many risks.

Zorba likes this.
  7. Jimmy Squarefoot

Really? I thought he was good when he was with Thiago but then Milner and Elliot came on and we lost that stability. Unfair to compare the situations.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Hardly surprising you see it like that, you've hated Hendo for about ten years mate <laugh>

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Lol I call it as it is! I didn't comment much on the Rangers game but Hendo was really in that midfield 2. Thought it was his best performance in a long time (disregard opponent). He and Thiago played very well.

But I just feel Fabinho has been massively exposed in the current set up this season and it's made him look worse. The same with Trent - I think Trent has been dog sh*t but it doesnt help when he's literally being asked to play so high up, as if he's a false 9 at times. He was told to sit deeper and influence the play vs Rangers and we saw the best out of him, and we looked more solid as a result.

Zanjinho likes this.
  10. THE FOOL

Henderson has been better than fabinho. But that's not hard at the moment.

Zorba and Zanjinho like this.

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Tbf - neither have been helped by the tactics. Hendo being asked to get into the box is simply not his game. Which then leaves Trent and Fab exposed, and then their games have suffered as a result.

Not sure why Pep wanted to change the tactical approach the way he did but I hope they have finally come to their senses.

12. LuisDiazgamechanger

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  13. THE FOOL

Finally the slip that reveals the truth!

Diego likes this.
  14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Pep Ljinders that is :)

15. LuisDiazgamechanger

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

Klopp called it 442 last time.

upload_2022-10-7_13-10-9.png

This is the issue

upload_2022-10-7_13-11-16.png

Look at the gaps. if the ball is over on our left we have some odd discipline at times. What happens when this occurs.

Once Left winger or forward stands on half way near matip and waits for any clearance and matip had about half the entire pitch to defend on his own.

We need far more discipline from those two CMs. But i also think we need more discipline out of trent.

If he's told to run into the middle like this then his first though needs to be "can I" if he can see henderson is gone, how can ne make that run?

17. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Alright lads <ok>

In some ways, I'm looking forward to this game and in other ways, I'm not.

On the one hand, we have a horrible record against you since Klopp's arrived. We've beaten you once in the league in 7 years. You've generally beaten us pretty comfortably home and away, especially in the last 2-3 seasons. Wenger struggled against Klopp, as did Emery and Arteta has too. So you clearly have a blueprint of how to play against us.

On the other hand, we have made incremental progress and are starting to play good football with the results to match, so I want to see how much this team has evolved and whether we have the minerals to beat a top side. We beat Spurs, sure, but we generally tend to beat them at home, so I don't really see this as a major feat.

I know you've had a topsy-turvy start to the season, but you've still got a lot of quality players who are perfectly capable of big performances. And your forward line always seem to score against us. So I'm not expecting this to be easy, despite your inconsistency.

I'm hoping we can buck the trend of awful results against you - and that we stop those ****s Jota and Firmino from making our defenders look like children <laugh>

I'm sure it'll be a tasty matchup in any case <ok>

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

No better time for Arsenal to play us tbf. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about this game (and Man City next) but I'll always go with my first thought...

... we'll ****ing smash'em :emoticon-0165-muscl

Diego likes this.
  19. moreinjuredthanowen

Imagine martinelli in the gap i have just shown above.

Thats a field day waiting to happen. we must be disciplined.

20. LuisDiazgamechanger

JONES KNOWS BEST HAVE GONE FOR 3:2 HOME WIN. i HAVE GONE FOR 2:3 AWAY WIN.LET US SEE HOW IT GOES.

When playing at home Arsenal have been posting performance metrics that aren't too far away from Manchester City and Liverpool. Since the start of last season, their average of 2.34 expected goals for per game is only bettered by the 'big two'. The problem for them here is that one of those big two arrive on their patch having won on their last three visits against the Gunners without conceding a goal. In fact, Arsenal have failed to score in the last six meetings in all competitions - meaning it's been over 10 hours without a goal vs Liverpool. That will change her
    My main gripe with trusting the long-term data with Liverpool is that their defensive numbers are plummeting, especially away from home. In fixtures at Fulham, Manchester United, Everton and Napoli, Liverpool have posted an average expected goals conceded per game of 2.2. That is over a goal more than last season's Premier League 1.19 per game average.

Arsenal, with such a confident and upbeat crowd behind them, are fancied to get this job done at 8/5 with Sky Bet in a high-scoring game.

After Leandro Trossard's performance and goal output playing directly against Trent Alexander-Arnold last weekend, where we copped a 9/2 anytime scorer winner, it's time to rinse and repeat the theory. Gabriel Martinelli was hailed by Jurgen Klopp as "a talent of the century" and the young Brazilian arrives in confident mood for his date with Alexander-Arnold, nailing down his place as part of Arsenal's dynamic front three. Since May, Martinelli is creating 2.34 chances per-90 minutes for his team-mates and has a healthy assist return of 0.34 (four assists).
    Martinelli left Alexander-Arnold seeing stars in the corresponding fixture last season and Arsenal will surely be targeting getting the winger in between the lines down the Liverpool right to cause plenty of carnage. Martinelli is 7/2 with Sky Bet to grab an assist and the 5/4 for him to score or assist also should give you a great run.

SCORE PREDICTION: 3-2