1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Southampton Wednesday 16/12/20 6pm Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by sotonsaint, Dec 14, 2020.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Playing against 10 mean is one of the hardest situations for a team to deal with. It really is tough going.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Look on the bright side, West Ham are losing. :)

SaintinNZ likes this.
  3. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting that but there didnt seem to be any urgency to win the game.

4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think there was but it's so difficult to play your way past 2 solid walls of defence.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  5. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

No, it is like saying that we did not play well the whole game and certainly did not have an astonishingly good 90 minutes....

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  6. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

More annoying than the draw is that it’s more points dropped from a winning position.

I often say ‘typical saints’ to my mates and because regardless of team or manager you can never be confident in us holding a lead.

It’s 10 points dropped so far, dread to think what it’s been the last few seasons. It’s becoming more than a bit worrying (and tedious).

SaintinNZ likes this.
  7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

United apart though, it's only been 1 goal leads we've let slip this season. 1 goal leads are so precarious - there haven't been many 1-0's at all this season. I'm not overly concerned about it.

8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Used to be the opposite but anyone notice we seem to be following Portsmuff’s results recently? Ffs, if that continues, we’ll be waving for them to win L1 <laugh> Never! thought I’d ever say that!

9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Ralph was happy with the way the team stayed patient and stressed that it was important not to push so hard that we got caught on the break.
    I was disappointed with our crossing from open play, and think that it is a weakness, but when you are trying to pick out a player surrounded by 3 or 4 it becomes even more difficult.
    Have to say how much I enjoyed the post match chat, with Matt Holland and Kevin Campbell.

10. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

Would have worse crosses if Cedric was playing for us, he still hasnt learnt to provide a decent cross

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020

11. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

And let's just think back to this time last year when being in the top four above the relegation zone was our target! Every successful team gets a result against the grain and we are a point nearer safety!!!!!!

12. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Football is an emotional game, we have the right to feel ecstatic with that result, disappointed or completely p1ssed off. Or all 3.

It is what it is and given the values and history and league positions I am sure arsenal supporters will feel more completely p1ssed off than us.

The points dropped thing is frustrating, yet on the other hand doesn't have to be a bad stat. It shows we are in with a shout most games or not having to come from behind and out of contention..

Whatever happens in the next 2 weeks ,2020 on the pitch for Southampton football club has helped make this year just that little bit brighter.

We March On.

13. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Right. I'm over dropping 2 points now

Onwards and upwards after we smash Citeh

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Agreed. We played well, but not really great.

15. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I thought we missed Walcott when he came off. I wouldn’t say anyone played badly but we lacked grit as a team.

Ho hum, sitting at 3rd isn’t too shabby. When half the season is over, if we’re still hanging around the top 4, then I’ll believe.

16. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Just had chance to see the highlights.

I thought hojbjerg had a good game for us again.

17. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

This is especially true when a team with some decent players decide that defending is the way to go. A mate of mine texted later that the red card did more for them than it did for us, in that it made up their minds on the stick or twist question.

Positives?

We looked like a good team

Che Adams - what a player he is becoming

KWP - best buy?

JWP - a great captain

Romeu didn't get booked

Normally we'd have lost this and then felt hard done by. We looked half decent and will give a lot of teams a game. Top four? No idea, but I'm enjoying the ride.

18. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

Understand the disappointment when playing 30 mins against 10 men, but as other have said, they went ultra defensive. It is quite refreshing that a team with the players arsenal have feel they have to drop everyone to defence to cope with us. How many goals have we seen concede when we are in an attacking position only for the opposition to pick up the ball in their own half go on to score. Ralph has said in countless interviews we cannot always attack and sometimes you have to play it amongst the backs and find the way through. Arsenal defended like a stoke/Burnley side and we couldn't find it despite hitting the bar twice. If we continue to play like we do the future is bright in red and white...... until ings is sold in the summer and ralph is poached then let the meltdown commence.

19. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

Isn't too shabby? Are you taking the piss? Mate, I've supported this lot since they were mid-table Third Division (South). 3rd in the Premier League not 'too shabby'. FFS. It's stonking brillaint

20. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Yeah I was being ironic. Like when something is really brilliant and you nonchalantly say ‘yes that’s quite good’.
    I’ve only supported saints since 1989 so am a relative newcomer.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.