1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal vs Blackburn Rovers: Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

English Premier League
    4th Feb 2011
    KO: 13:00
    Emirates Stadium

Arsenal taken on Blackburn Rovers at the Emirates Stadium in this Premier League encounter. Arsenal go into this fixture on the back of a 0-0 draw against Bolton and a FA Cup victory over Aston Villa. The Gunners went into the Bolton game with a chance to close the gap on Chelsea who could only manage a draw against Swansea City in the previous night. In what was mostly a drab game, Arsenal created few clear cut chances. Both Ramsey and Walcott had the chances but they lacked the clinical touch in the final third. Arsenal have yet to get a league win in 2012, and it has seen them drop to seventh in the table. Blackburn after making some sort of recovery in form, lost their last game in the league against Newcastle at Ewood Park. Blackburn managed to beat Arsenal in the early part of the season in the 4-3 epic at Ewood Park. Arsenal took the lead twice in this fixture but could not keep it. It was a terrible day for Arsenal, and one of the three wins Blackburn have managed to get at home. With Chelsea playing Manchester United and Liverpool facing Tottenham on the Monday after Arsenal's game against Blackburn, its vital that they pick up the three points at home against Blackburn.

Blackburn have had an eventful season to say the least. If Wenger thought he faced tough criticism from his own fans then its nothing compared to what Steve Kean has had to deal with. Despite massive fan pressure, the owners of Blackburn have stood by their man. But whether that is through trust or just a basic lack of football is to be known. The Venky's promised a lot and have so far delivered. Names like Ronaldinho and David Beckham got linked with Blackburn but they got David Goodwillie instead. With very little investment into the club, a side like Blackburn are always in danger of going down. But in Sam Allardyce they had a manger that had the skills and know how in order to keep them away from any sort of trouble. But for whatever reason, the Venky's decided it was in their best interest to sack him and appoint Steve Kean, a man that had zero managerial experience. And now they find themselves deep in the relegation battle. As predicated by many it was not a wise decision to sack Allardyce. Under Kean, Blackburn have picked up a few results that few would have expected. The win against Arsenal being one and the other being the stunning 3-2 win at Old Trafford.

Despite their poor season, Blackburn have had a few players in the squad who have caught the attention of big clubs. Players such as Junior Hoilett, Christopher Samba, Steven N'zonzi and Mauro Formica have all impressed this season. Samba was the only one out of those four that wanted a move in the transfer window gone. In doing so he has alimented most of the Blackburn fans and his own manager and has not been included in recent squad. It’s still unclear if he will play against Arsenal. Another man that will be missing for Blackburn will be their top scorer, Yakubu. He got himself sent off against Fulham and is serving the last of his three match ban for violent conduct. Yakubu got two of the four goals in Blackburn’s win against Arsenal back in September. Junior Hoilett will be out of contract in the summer and no doubt a host of clubs will be ready to welcome him. A fast and skilful winger that plays on the left and likes to cut in with favoured right foot.

With the return of the excellent Bacary Sagna, Arsene Wenger does not have to worry about which player he has try fill a gap with. At left back it’s not as simple, with Andre Santos still out until March and Kieran Gibbs not fully fit, it’s going to have to be Thomas Vermaelen as a makeshift left back again. While he has not made a lot of mistakes as a left back, it’s still a disadvantage having a centre back such as Vermaelen playing anywhere else. Since returning to the club, Thierry Henry has yet to start a game, and with Theo Walcott badly out of form, Henry could finally get his first start. And Arsenal badly need his goals. In the last six league games Arsenal have managed to score six times. For a normally free flowing side like Arsenal this is a worry. And as seen in the Bolton game, Arsenal need someone that can give them that clinical touch in the final 3rd. And as Henry showed against Leeds he only needs the one chance. In midfield, Aaron Ramsey might also need some time out of the team. The 20 year had a difficult job of trying to replace Cesc Fabregas and without the help of Jack Wilshere it was always going to be an impossible task. Ramsey as much as he tries is simply not producing the final pass or goal and his place in the first team should be up for question. Thomas Rosicky before the Bolton started three games in a row which is a good sign. A fully fit, Rosicky can still be a very good player and his technical skills can open doors against sides such as Blackburn. Arsenal go into this game without a league win in 2012 and they need to put an end to that run if they want to start even thinking about catching Chelsea for that fourth place.

Teams News:

Wenger:
    Form Guide:

Three Key Match-ups:

Overall Record vs Blackburn Rovers:

Played: 118
    Wins: 57
    Draws: 31
    Losses: 30
    For: 215
    Against: 149
    GD: 66

Last 6 Meetings:

Blackburn 4 - 3 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Blackburn
    Blackburn 1 - 2 Arsenal
    Blackburn 2 - 1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 6 - 2 Blackburn
    Arsenal 4 - 0 Blackburn

Mangers Views:

Wenger on Steve Kean:

My Team:

Final Score:

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Come on Arsenal.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Nice fred Jack <ok> Cheers mate.

Doesn't really need stating, but this is of course a must win game.

4. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

We couldn't afford to drop points starting at Fulham. Shows you how bad things have become.

5. Bobby Pires

Bobby Pires Well-Known Member

I fear that Steve Kean will have the Blackburn players fired up for this having already embarrassed us once this season and gotten great results against the other top clubs. They've played United, Everton and the Scouse away and haven't lost any. The Blackburn players will fight for everything and any quality that they lack will be made up for in teamwork and commitment, a harsh contrast to alot of the players that are currently in our team.

Our defence is looking more healthy as the weeks go by but now it's the problem of creativity and scoring goals. In season's past, our 'only' problem was a defence that was mentally weak and made silly errors, now we have problem areas all over the field.

The saving grace for us is that Yakubu can't play, so Blackburn will have to think of other ways to get at us.

6. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

There's been a train derailment at Bletchley.I hope it doesn't affect my travel plans for tomorrow <grr>

7. happyal

happyal Active Member

Blackburn fan in peace.

Obviously I don&#8217;t expect to get anything here and I think it would be a very optimistic Blackburn fan to expect any points here. Having said that I didn&#8217;t expect anything at Liverpool or Man Utd either.

Steve Kean has already said that Samba won&#8217;t play, and Yakuba is still suspended. We missed Yakuba in our last game against Newcastle.

Good luck for the match, and I hope we can give your lads a game.

8. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Anyone know why this game is being at 1? Its not on TV or anything.

9. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

It's because the Victoria Line is closed

10. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Samba will be a huge miss for Blackburn... he really is an inspirational player for them. Can't say I'm unhappy to see him not in their team as he always seems to terrorise our defence.

11. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Agree. Last time we played Blackburn at the Emirates he was a beast and they got a draw and a clean sheet.

12. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

As it's Blackburn, and we should be getting 3 points, i'd consider an experimental side, maybe give some of the promising reserves a run out. Here's the team i would name;

------------------Szczesny
    Yennaris------Miquel-----Vermaelen-----Sagna (he can play LB)
    -------------Coquelin-------Arteta--------
    -----------------------Eisfeld (played well in the reserves)
    Chamberlain--------RvP--------------------Benayoun

That team is good enough to get 3 points. Plus it gives Ramsey,Koscielny,walcott etc. a rest.

13. Samurai

Samurai Active Member

Are you serious Kyle? We can't afford to rest the team anymore? Maybe Coquelin ahead of Song and Miquel ahead of Mertesacker IMO but that's it.

Eisfield on the bench.

14. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

The season is a write off, i think it would be good to evaluate some potential for next season. Anyway, it's only blackburn, what could possible go wrong <whistle>

15. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

I think our strongest CB partnership is Verm and Koscielny.. I haven't really been convinced by The Sack so far. Anyone know if Gibbs will be back?

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

No Samba and no Yak for Blackburn - I think that gives us a better chance. Hope Oxo is fit <ok>

17. Samurai

Samurai Active Member

I'd rather have Verm at CB and Miquel on the Left than Mert and CB and Verm on the left.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

They had a clean sheet last time out <ok>

19. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I've just been on the arsenal website, looks like Wenger is going to rotate the team (and rest RvP) for this game. he's considering playing Walclott as a striker.

20. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Should be interesting. Might just be the turning point of his season IF he plays upfront.