1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs FC Porto - Thread (Champions League - RO16 - 2nd leg)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Mar 10, 2024.

1. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Good. Scummy team, scummy tactics. And no need for it, because they've very good. So see ya later scummy ****s. **** off. Get in!

straycat_67 likes this.
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yesss.

I actually think this was the perfect game pre-Man City. They were a tough, tactically smart team.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  3. TheBear

Do we have the squad strength to win both Premierleague and Champions League?<yikes>

4. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thank god that's over. Champions League quarter-finals, here we come <diva>. It's been far too long since we've said that.

Honestly, we were fortunate in this tie. Feel like Mikel showed his inexperience over both legs, but it's understandable considering we've not been in this position for 7 years. And it's the first time in 14 years we've made it past the RO16. It does also feel like a huge mental barrier has been overcome though. And at least the players have shown they can hold their nerve even when things aren't going their way.

Feels like this could be Raya's 'coming of age' performance. He made some huge saves in the game and commanded his area well, especially from Porto's set-pieces.

Whilst Arteta still has to improve his management skills in Europe, the facts are, in cup competitions, performances don't matter; winning does. And, fortunate or not, we've done that tonight.

On we go. <ok>.

PINKIE and straycat_67 like this.
  5. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Also, didn't appreciate the Porto manager and players trying to beef our players after the shootout was over. Seems like sour grapes to me. Terrible losers. Hopefully we never have to see them again.

TheBear likes this.
  6. TheBear

We weren't 'fortunate' at all - it was just a close game.

7. TheBear

Bayern Munich
    Barcelona
    Dortmund
    PSG
    Real Madrid
    Inter Milan
    Man City

Who do we want?

8. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Porto are absolute C**NTS!! COYG!!

TheBear likes this.
  9. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

PSV please ;)

and what? You have already gotten IM to beat Athletico? lol

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    TheBear likes this.
  10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Most people had us as clear favourites to beat them over two legs and we scraped through on penalties. The first leg was poor and this game wasn't significantly better. We are a better team than what we showed over two legs, but their European experience trumps ours and they were more 'savvy' and smart in dragging us down to their level. They made it a battle and utilised the dark arts, which is what they wanted.

I think we could have done things better to ensure a smoother progression into the last 8, but it doesn't matter now. We are through and this was a good learning experience for this group.

straycat_67 likes this.

11. TheBear

Yeah, Porto were a lot better than people were expecting. Perhaps because they had a poor start to the Season soo are below Sporting in the League.

Still a well drilled side with a decent mixture of physicality and technical skill.

We will have to be better against the likes of Real/City/Inter. I do think we showed real maturity though - didn't see the players panic, there was a real calmness to the performance. Which is probably what won us the Penalty's.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  12. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

A couple of players I want to shout out...

1) Odegaard. What a player. That was a real captain's performance. Led by example. Outstanding work rate, took the game by the scruff of the neck, was determined to get us up the pitch, freedom to create, orchestrating the press all game and showed phenomenal character to take the first penalty and get the crowd behind us.

2) Pepe. 41 years old. He was outrageously good. I know he has a reputation for being short-tempered, but there was a reason why he was at Real Madrid for a decade and has 134 appearances for Portugal. He was imperious yesterday. Making crucial last-ditch clearances, vital interceptions, clean touches of the ball under pressure to bypass our press and won key duels in the box. His organisation and leadership of that Porto defensive line was superb. Outstanding player.

straycat_67 likes this.
  13. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

So, CL quarter-finalists are all confirmed now:

Arsenal
    Atletico Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Borussia Dortmund
    Manchester City
    PSG
    Real Madrid

All of which will be tricky ties no doubt.

Does anyone have a preference? For me, it’s either Dortmund or Barcelona (I feel like those two are the most beatable out of the rest of them).

14. TheBear

Dortmund would be my pick.

15. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Bayern Munich it is.

Not ideal, but not the hardest draw either. I suppose every team at this point is going to be very difficult.

Kane will be coming back with added motivation no doubt

16. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

On paper we're better than them. Plus they're not a team who'll play nasty, snide tactics like Porto or Atletico. So if we get beat, at least it will be a team who will probably have just been better than us. But I give us a good chance. Shame that if this one goes to pens it would be in front of all the Bayern fans though.

17. TheBear

Soo I predicted Bayern to Win the UCL this Season.

They made great signings in the Summer: Harry Kane and Kim.

Because their league form has been mediocre this Season under Tuchel people are underestimating them.

Kane, Musiala, Muller, Hummels, Neuer, Sane, Gnabry, De Ligt, Goretska .. this squash is just as good as Reals.

So.. yeah this is gonna be tough, we CAN do it though.

18. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I actually agree with this - like you've said, they've still got a lot quality and Tuchel's European record is pretty good when you look at his time over Chelsea, PSG and Dortmund. This is also their only realistic chance of silverware left so they are going to want to go all out for this.

It's going to be a very tricky tie to navigate.

But I'd still say we are more capable of getting past them compared to the last time we played them!

TheBear likes this.
  19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Hummels?? Eh?

There’s also no Bayern fans at the home game either for the first leg. 60k+ entirely home arsenal fans packing out the stadium. Bosh. Or maybe they’ll keep the away fan section empty??

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

60k people all giving Harry Kane ****

Bring it on <laugh>

BrunelGunner likes this.