1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arteta Out Thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

How do you feel about Edu? I've not been impressed with any of his signings.

2. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

He gets away because he is a nice guy. He talks all the good talk, he is media savy. Also, he is lucky because he does not have to feel the heat and vitriol from the fans. He can choose not to read the papers! There is also the misconception that, we have the worst Arsenal squad in livinig memory, therefore the performances are commensurate with the dearth of quality (I have seen some ropey squads in the Wenger Era, likes of stefanopov, christopher wreh etc and we still managed to play good football! ). Finally, the hatred for Kroenke is so much that, Arteta gets under the radar!

3. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's difficult to say.

He joined in July 2019, so I'm unsure as to how much input he had in the 2019 Summer transfer window, but the 2020 transfer window wasn't good enough. The only excuse I can give him is that it was impacted by Covid and players whom we expected to leave ended up staying.

Willian has been a disaster. No more needs to be said.
    Partey hasn't worked out so far. I can't blame Edu for this though, as he was the most sought after midfielder in Europe. I hope he improves next season.
    Gabriel started the season off really well, was our best player for 3 months, then got Covid, came back after 3 weeks out and has been hit and miss since. Jury still out on Gabriel, but he's young.
    Pablo Mari and Cedric Soares I don't mind as squad players, but they shouldn't be starters for us. Although our options at RB are so bad right now, Cedric should get more game time IMO.

Overall though, recruitment has been a big issue since 2015. We really need to buck this trend.

4. omogooner

I think the issue at the moment is Arteta.. We should not be mid table with what we have.. The likes of Pepe, Auba, Laca, Xhaka Martinelli, Mari are not mid table players!

5. Big Ern

Xhaka? He's ****, all he can do is foul.

6. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

Mari certainly is lower PL standard. Xhaka is a capable (ish) midtable cm.

7. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

He's been our best midfielder this season, which says a lot about how bad we've been.

I do firmly believe the manager isn't getting the best out of these group of players, though.

omogooner likes this.
  8. omogooner

I share your sentiments.. We are never going to compete with Mancity, Chelsea and possibly in the transfer dealings.. But we can improve on what we have and coach them better..

BrunelGunner likes this.
  9. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Mari playing in the EL group stages, domestic cup games or relegation fodder, I'm fine with. But he shouldn't have been starting a Europa League semi-final against a dangerous Villarreal team.

Him and Rob Holding put in one of the most amateurish displays from a CB partnership I've ever seen.

Didn't track runners, couldn't sense danger, kept backing off attacking players without making challenges - such an unaggressive, limp performance.

Koscielny and Mertesacker weren't perfect, but my God, they were absolutely levels above this lot.

10. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Other than perhaps West Ham taking one of your strikers because they don't have one, I can't see any of the current top 8 wanting any of the players you've listed. Our defence and midfield is ****e and I still wouldn't take Mari or Xhaka.

My impression is that quite a few Arsenal fans inflate the players' true level beyond reality. And this has been an issue since the latter years of Wenger and is a reason the executive has gotten away with horrendous recruitment over the past 3-4 years.

11. omogooner

I agree with your observation, however only on current form. Sometimes, it is not on individual brilliance alone, but the players as a unit. Our players might not at the moment, light up the world individually. Also, it is not sustainable to expect 60% - 70% of the team to be binned. That will not happen.. What I expect is for these players to be better organised, the shackles to be removed and play with purpose and freedom. You can laugh and say our not many of our players would get into the top 8 starting 11, I respect your opinion, but do not accept that. I think these players are not as bad as the table shows..Just the coach..I am expectant and hopeful that given the right environment, these players will come good!

BrunelGunner likes this.
  12. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I’ve said it before but on paper I think we have about the 6th/7th best squad in the league. Anything lower than that is underachieving IMO. This is also not taking into account that good managers can overachieve.

13. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

I think Leicester certainly have a better squad. Everton perhaps, but Arsenal have the better potential with the likes of Saka, Martinelli, Rowe (and Saliba?)

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Leicester. Meh. I'd take Tielemans CM but other than that no-one strikes me as standing out above our players. They're just overperforming due to Rodgers.

Spurs. Meh. Not sure I'd take anyone. Kane maybe but he's not gonna be a ridiculous upgrade on Auba let's face it.

United. Wan Bissaka and Fernandes I'd have. The rest nah.

That's not me saying our players are better though, more that they're just on par so no point swapping.

omogooner likes this.
  15. omogooner

I agree 100%! With the sort of transfer fee those players will command, it will be a huge risk, besides just because they are thriving at Leicester does not in any way guarantee that they will come to Arsenal and thrive. Like I said already, Leicester players with all due respect have no pressure to achieve.. The pressure anyone playing for us is palpable.. The expectations are huge, some fans are already questioning Partey, similar to the way Tottenham fans were questioning Alli and Ndombele. Imagine these players playing for Leicester?

16. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I actually think Arteta will be a decent manager. But for his first job this is about as hard as it gets.

Straight into a big Club, in crisis, during a pandemic.<laugh>

He will get better over time but we should never have a hired a guy with soo little experience.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    gooner4ever likes this.
  17. omogooner

Do you think as fans we should persevere and give him time? If the answer to that is yes, (regardless of what happens on Thursday) how long more, a season, 2more years? Finally, how would you measure success this time next season? Let's be honest, I do not expect us to flip the players and start with a team made of new players, so he will still have mostly the same crop of players next season..

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Tierney - brilliant
    Partey - been injured and had a difficulty season. But he’s top quality
    Gabriel - Top quality CB
    Willian - disaster
    Mari - decent squad CB

19. Big Ern

please log in to view this image

20. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I think Edus been good!

Mustafi out, Ozil out, Sokratis out.

Gabriel, Partey and Tierney are class signings.

gooner4ever and PINKIE like this.