1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Aston Villa v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by saintPort&Ginger, May 5, 2024.

?

What'll it be?

Poll closed May 13, 2024.
  1. A win

66.7%
  2. A defeat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We'll ****ing smash'em

33.3%
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

That's not the point I'm making though.

Alison got himself into trouble before it and nearly gave them a goal. That was lax. I thought.maybe he was feeling an issue was wasn't going to kick any long.

He them played a poor ball to macca again. It was just not reading where he should be playing and just plain sloppy.

Yes everyone knocks it about trying to draw teams out to make space but there's playing out and there's pure and utter carelessness.

I really think no fan of a team can enjoy their team doing stuf like that "cos it makes a good game of it"

As I said in the game I couldn't enjoy watching an emry side due to the constant flopping about but the man was bouncing round on the sideline like a Rafa and his side reflects him.

I loved the fact their crowd fell on their arsed after 60 seconds but I could hear the usual midlands baiting as the game swung second half.

2. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Well you’re wrong.

I much more enjoy us trying to pass it out and occasionally causing issues than just lumping it up the pitch for their cb to win a header and come back to attack us.

Just because you don’t enjoy something doesn’t mean it’s wrong and no one else can enjoy it. I can understand why you may not like it but you should understand why others do.

Some point watch football to be entertained and what’s entertaining to them is 2 teams playing attacking football. People are entertained by different things. Some may want to go 3-0 up early and then see a ‘boring’ 60 minute performance where nothing happens.

There are 100 different ways to enjoy football and at the end of the day it’s something to sit and enjoy for 90 minutes before you do something else with your day.

Zanjinho likes this.
  3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

We've had some remarkable games and some very memorable games, for different reasons and now we can add a game in which we were on course for victory, to be levelled by Duran .. Duran :bandit:

4. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

We're just not hungry like a wolf anymore!

5. moreinjuredthanowen

Again that's not what I said AT ALL.

Play out but pay some attention.

No fan can enjoy seeing their team.make sloppy mistakes time and again.

Alisson got his warning to get his head on the game twice over before he played that pass. He sloppily allowed himself to be closed down and tried to play off the outside of his boot both to our right side and our left side before thst pass.

Play out but get you head on the game and do what you are doing well.

Its that simple.

Exactly the same for defenders tossing bouncing balls back at him. Not good stuff at all.

Nobody said hoof the thing up the park.

The difference here is if a pep side played that way he'd be up screaming the first time even if it was a preseason friendly.

Do what you do with sharpness and care. That's all. Quite simple.

6. johnsonsbaby

Yes, we need the wild boys back and ...... don't forget to save a prayer for Sunday.

Turbia Milk likes this.
  7. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Ive rewatched it just to make sure I wasn’t just making stuff up.

It wasn’t Alisson that passed it to Mac.

VVD gets the ball, he slowly gets closed down so he passed it to Mac just outside our box. When vvd makes the pass there is 1 person about 15 yards behind Mac. When he receives the ball, he’s in a circle of about 10 yards with no one around him. Wasn’t a risky pass at all. He unfortunately opens his body and touch gets away before he then slips.

It’s a pass we make about 40 times a game and often under a lot more pressure.

organic red and Zanjinho like this.
  8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

As you said, it wasn't a bad pass, it was a very rare mistake by AMC when attempting to control the ball. If much rather that happens in a dead rubber game like this then in, say, a cup final.

Quite amusing (considering the argument here) that the pass can from VVD rather than Alisson though. If have argued it was the latter too <laugh>. Funny how the mind works

InFrancroatiaWeTrust likes this.
  9. moreinjuredthanowen

Are we talking the same goal?

10. moreinjuredthanowen

Maybe so. I've no problem putting a hand up I've I've confused two sloppy **** mistakes thst drive me potty.

Zanjinho likes this.

11. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

The 2nd goal? When Mac loses the ball..

12. saintPort&Ginger

That does depend on personnel and circumstances though. If you have a CF who wins the ball a lot and is good at holding it up then that can be the best option.
    A long pass to a player upfront isn't necessarily an aimless hoof.
    Quite often teams pass it around at the back and can't get out and end up hoofing it under more pressure than a keeper would be under anyway - just wasting several seconds.
    Should mix it up, play it long or short according to circumstances, but it seems it's just the done thing these days to pass it around - even by teams that aren't very good at it.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

So it's a goal kick right.

The players are notnreally getting in any dort of position and alisson just takes it short without really thinking.

Imo vvd is not wide enough and he's not thinking about the next ball. He had an out to the wide left but they don't like that option usually as it'll come right back.

The second the ball is played at vvd he's got 2 pressing him.

Imo that's sloppy all the way round. They are not really paying any attention to where villa are pressing and closing and they are not getting wider to try negate the two man front press.

14. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

We’ll agree to disagree because I watxhed it again after initial discussion and there was absolutely no danger in the ball from Ali to vvd and from vvd to mac. Neither had players around them, was plenty of space, villa weren’t pressing so it was an obvious pass to make.

You obviously don’t agree. Let’s leave it there

15. moreinjuredthanowen

The danger is in sloppiness.

Look again at a set up on a goal kick when the players are awake and not thinking they have it won.

Who was actually there in midfield? Just macca right?

Where was quansah as the other side option.

We played it out into instant press without any really switched on any more and the second tjst press came on then the only pass left was macca who was surrounded.

It's sleepy time and a consistent theme with us.

16. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

Forum Moderator

I disagree based on what I saw so

Zanjinho likes this.
  17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

MITO just doesn't like the current approach and setup, especially the Trent thing although he's not alone in that bit.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

I think passing it about short is required to try draw players but I am totally against inverted full backs.
    Possession football is good. Playing in one half to at best 2/3rds of the pitch is not.

Imo it is mostly counter productive and is easily negated busy sound counter press with relatively few players.

19. johnsonsbaby

I read that Slot likes to play with inverted fullbacks so expect more of the same <whistle>

Zanjinho likes this.
  20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Inverted FBs isn't the same as the Trent hybrid role