1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Away games next season

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by It’s Only A Game, May 9, 2011.

1. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

There has been something about our stay in league one that has made the away fixtures in particular a great day out. It may have been something to do with the fact that there was always a good chance of seeing a victory, and being part of a large Saints following makes the day more exciting I think.
    But after scanning through the Championship for possible likely away trips for next season, I cant say there are too many that jump out at me like they have in league one. I can't really put my finger on why but for those who have been to away games this past season what I'd like to know is;

How many away games did you go to this season?

What was the best and worst away game you went to? Why?

I know that the full Championship list is not yet complete but which away fixtures do you think you might go to?

Will you go to Pompey?

2. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

Didn't get to many this season but next year I've already committed myself to about half of the away ones along with my season ticket.

West Ham, Reading, Brighton, Pompey....etc. AND I've committed myself to the first game of the season wherever it's at!

3. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Never ever will I go there while I am still breathing. Sorry Beddytare I know I am meant to be trying to be nice about them but going to that awful place would be a step too far.

4. It’s Only A Game

I've never been to Fratton Park and I don't expect that to change next season.

5. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to a lot of away games up here in the central area - I live just outside Northampton so places like Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Coventry, Watford & Reading are all a lot closer than SMS for me so I wam looking forward to a good number of trips (assuming they don't get promoted etc)

Some really nice grounds too!
    Dark Lord

6. MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

leyton orient was a great away day for me

7. Matt-SFC

Matt-SFC Member

Went to 16 away games this season. Best one was probably Leyton Orient or Plymouth although there were other great ones aswell like Bournemouth, Brighton and Brentford. Worst was either Tranmere or Carlisle. Next season I'll try and go to around 15 or so again. Hopefully I'll get a ticket for Pompey away as I've never been there before.

8. sussexsaint

sussexsaint Member

I will never go to Fratton Park - I couldn't afford the increased life insurance premium.

9. Welsh Saint

Welsh Saint Well-Known Member

Living in Cardiff I'll either have Swansea or Cardiff to go to at the very least....hope it's the Jacks and the bluebirds make it to the prem.

10. Gonch

Gonch Member

Only went to 5 away this season (missus would kill me if I went to more as I've got a ST as well!)

Best away day for me - got to be Leyton Orient, brilliant day out

Worst away day - Wallsaw. A very frustrating Tuesday evening (although we did have an excellent curry in the Eastend Balti Tandoori!)

As for next season, I reckon it'll be the localish ones for me so West Ham (if / when they go down), Reading (if /when they don't go up), Brighton, Milwall and Crystal Palace. If bumfluff come up, I'll try for the tickets but won't hold up hope

As for Pompey - reckon I might, but will go by approved coach. On the bus, win the match and get the f*ck out :biggrin:

11. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

that sounds the best way to go to FP and might consider doing something similar myself.

For those that have never been to an away derby it is one hell of an experience. When we win it is as good as winning at Old Trafford.

12. It’s Only A Game

I managed to get to just over half of the away games and saw us win eight, draw two and lose three. Can't complain about that.
    The best I think was Bournemouth, not just because we won but the whole day out was great. We were sitting close to the home fans and seeing them getting more and more angry as the game went on was a good laugh. Even being held back at the end added to the enjoyment.
    The worst would have to be either Swindon or MK Dons. Dismal performances especially against Swindon, thankfully not a long sulk home after that one.
    Looking forward to seeing Brighton's new stadium. Reading if still here and Bristol City are games I hope to get to but as I posted above, there aren't too many that grab me yet. I'm sure when the season starts I'll be itching to get back on the road again.
    Not much chance of going to Pompey. I must be the only one here who is not that excited about the return of local derbies. To go to a match swarming with riot police is not my idea of fun and as SFC Gonch says "On the bus, win the match and get the f*ck out" probably sums it up quite nicely.

13. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not a big/regular away goer, but I'm aiming to go to at least Reading and Brighton next season (assuming Reading don't get promoted.

14. sotondawg

sotondawg Member

I think I will be going to Bristol all the London clubs because I like an evening in London Middlesbrough and a couple of others depending on how the mood takes me if we need the wins, there’s nothing like a win away from home when you need the points

15. SFCJordi

SFCJordi Active Member

Struggled to get to any sort of game this year, I work saturday nights!

Really want to go to Brighton, Pompey, Reading, Forest, and any big cup game next season, getting an ST, so hopefully I'd be in good stead for them.

16. Saint

Saint Active Member

Hopefully (dependent on who is there) I will go to:
    Brighton
    West Ham
    Watford
    Palace
    Bristol city
    Reading
    Cardiff
    Millwall
    Maybe Pompey, swansea, notts forest, leeds, hull, derby not sure.

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't know about away games, but I am definately going to book holiday for the last home match of the season. I'm not missing out again. Even if it's not a promotion, it's usually a good day.

18. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

I'm really looking forward to the Bristol City game. Can you guess why?

Many of my City supporting friends are already asking me to join the for pre and post game drinks. They have offered to take me into City only pubs. Yeah, right. That's as bad as getting a ticket in the home end when the away tickets sell out. I have even been offered a free ticket in the city end if I go with them. No way, pedro, as Delboy trotter would say. We'll have a drink before and after I have spent the match in with the away supporters.

COYS