1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Barmby suspended

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Rubbish. It'd get tangled up with all the U turns and reversals you do. <whistle>

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It's actually 'Toe the line' and it's something to do with a line in the House of Commons, which MP's were not supposed to cross.

3. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

Not toad the line? I'm guessing that would be Tickler's version?

4. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Hahahah :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

That wiki is good isnt it? :tongue:

6. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

"The earlier meaning of 'to toe the line' was to position one's toes next to a marked line in order to be ready to start a race, or some other undertaking. In the 19th century, we wouldn't have been limited to lines when it came to placing our feet, but would have had a choice of what to toe - a mark, scratch, crack or trig [a line or small trench]."

or

"Other early examples of 'toe the ...' have a nautical connection. In the 19th century, sailors were expected to prepare themselves for group punishment by standing in formation on deck and 'toeing the line' between boards - also called 'toeing the crack'. "

The House of Commons one is urban myth.

7. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

I think we're getting a little off topic here <laugh>

8. Mr. Shoes

Mr. Shoes Well-Known Member

I only popped in to buy some matches and a newpaper...

9. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

I'd been saying we should have bought somebody like Billy Sharpe - NB I didn't say we should act like Duffen again, however much it helps with to win an argument (some people like to argue against what you didn't say than what you did say!).

Nick explained that signing Billy Sharpe would mean that it would mess up our wage structure. He also said that we should give pay rises to our best players to sign them on long contracts. This would actually mean we would have a new wage structure and if we were serious about getting promoted it should be able to accommodate his wages. It looks like Nick was thinking similarly to me. I'm not sure what Adam was thinking but I think that Nick and Adam could work together even if they had different views.

I was worried by one interview by Pappa Allam when he seemed totally crazy when discussing the purchase of the KC. It seems that he has acted crazy again. Because he owns the club he has the power to do what he wants. We are all grateful for what he did for the club although some of us feel that he would have been better off spending a few million earlier when we had a chance of promotion. If we didn't succeed there are always ways to get the money back through player sales.

Nick was right to say that if we didn't show ambition then players would leave. What is likely to happen now? Who is going to want to join the club and who would turn down the chance of moving to a more stable club? I can only think of Dawson as likely to stick it out.

What is likely to happen to a club run by the Allams? Don't they see the difficulty they have? Maybe they are too crazy to care about being sensible.

10. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

That's how boards go when the season ends - nothing's happening at the club so everyone has to talk about something else. :laugh:

11. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Billy Sharp's wage demand was over double what Nick wanted to give the ex-United lads on their improved contracts, the improved contracts had no impact on our wage structure, signing Billy Sharp would have blown it out the water.

12. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Based on last night, I don't think he is best pleased about the situation either.

13. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

Does this mean there will always be six clubs who will pay the going rate for strikers and we are going to find it very difficult to even get in the play-offs - even without the Allams running amok?

14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I don't think the wages are a big issue, Wednesday won't be paying more than us and they got Madine, Sheff United won't be paying more than us and they've got Evans(or did have), Millwall won't pay more than us and they've got Henderson, Huddersfield won't pay more than us and they've got Rhodes etc, the only clubs in this league currently paying more than us are probably West Ham, Reading, Southampton and Leicester.

15. westhulltiger

westhulltiger Active Member

Until we got rid of our Premier League wages we were never going to be able to compete

16. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

how long was/is barmbys contract?

17. TayLorTiGer

TayLorTiGer Guest

Can someone fill me in on what has been said today (OLM), i've been at school all day and theres like 6 new pages on this thread and I can't be bothered to read everyones posts

18. andy payton's mullet

andy payton's mullet Well-Known Member

Taylor, all that's happened us that bum chinned crab told us he was right all along about everything. Brownie has bought some sausages, our next manager will be Davies, mad mick or sven. Hope that helps

19. TayLorTiGer

TayLorTiGer Guest

I like the sound of Mad Mick, Davies won't last if the Allams think Barmby is outspoken, I can't stand Sven, he's too impatient and he's greedy, he went to Leicester for quick success and money and spunked almost 10million on both Beckford and Mills, can't believe Pearson has gone.

20. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

im very disappointed with your school, if you cant be bothered to read 6 pages..;)