1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Belgium v Wales

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that challenge ,keepers today <doh>

Taffvalerowdy and clingo like this.
  2. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Only the top team in each group to go to the finals automatically? England have Poland in their group so will need to be careful.

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Remember Norman Hunter missing that tackle when the Poles broke to score, and England couldn’t score against the goalie Cloughie called a clown - Tomaszewski

azzuriswan and clingo like this.
  4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

A great performance against the world's top ranked team. Just a shame that we gave away the penalty when we looked like we could at least salvage a draw.
    Very proud to be Welsh - as always.

5. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

I remember that game so well , stuck in the barrack block surrounded by my fellow colleagues, nearly all English
    munching on wagon wheels, bulling boots and strangely upset

6. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Well disappointing, but Wales can hold their heads up. Gave the number one ranked team in the world a good game. We’ve got players missing & still have some, either playing in the Championship or not playing regular in their Premier league clubs. I thought Neco Williams & Joe Rodon were both superb. Everyone gave their all, but I don’t personally feel Mepham is reliable enough. Would prefer to see Cabango. Nothing to do with the penalty.

Ironically, we had 4 current/ex Swans start the game, schooled in an ethos of football started by the opposition teams Manager. I thought that was incredible & a sort of proud thing to. The involvement & influence, which is something our great club had on tonight’s match for both teams..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  7. aswan_dam

The 10 group runners-up go into the play-offs along with the 2 best others from the Nations League. Then 3 groups of 4 doing a single game knockout format to get the final 3 places for Qatar.

8. aswan_dam

Croatia & Netherlands have lost. France draw at home with Ukraine. This qualifying campaign could throw up some surprises!

azzuriswan and clingo like this.
  9. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I don't think we should give up hope of automatic qualification yet. We showed albeit for short periods, that we can match Belgium. They and the Czech Republic could easily take points off each other. We just have to avoid banana skins.

10. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Only managed to see the first half but my take - brilliant goal, awful pitch, well beaten.

I can't muster much excitement for the world cup these days, especially with the diabolical "decision" to host in Qatar.

11. aswan_dam

Can you muster any excitement for the Euros in June? Or will you be cleaning the oven like Matt? <laugh>

daimungeezer likes this.
  12. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Not really interested in international football. Last game I saw was at the last euros.

daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  13. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

14. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I love international football - I prefer it to club football actually. It just stirs something inside me to see teams playing for their country knowing they aren't there just for the money, or because they needed a job.
    It's knowing everyone in the country is on the same side, no club rivalries.

Belgium are ranked #1 in the world at the moment - a relatively small country of 11 million. It's like the equivalent of Crystal Palace winning the Champions League in terms of size, yet in club football that is impossible.

The World Cup is the greatest sporting event in the world bar none in my eyes. I agree that holding it in Qatar is nonsensical, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested. I'd love Wales to get there - I'd even travel there if possible to watch them.

I've seen the Swans promoted to to top division twice in my lifetime, play European football, win the League Cup, but nothing comes anywhere close to that night in the Euros when Wales beat Belgium. The whole country was buzzing and I've never experienced anything like it before.

azzuriswan, clingo and aswan_dam like this.
  15. aswan_dam

I love a major tournament too. Often watch every game.

Have to confess there's a lad called Bellingham playing for England tonight and I've never heard of him.

azzuriswan likes this.
  16. aswan_dam

The San Marino keeper's having a blinder.

17. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Might need change the no club rivalry part after what the Cardiff fans were calling Connor Roberts last night. Some vile things sent to him and his girlfriend on Twitter.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    daimungeezer and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Nothing surprises me with that lot

19. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Well I'm a Cardiff fan and I have to say that Roberts was my man of the match. Best not to paint us all because of the actions of a few pillocks.

I'm with mono regarding the internationals. Although completely dedicated to my club, it's the occasions that Wales play that really get to me. I'm 69 now and I've always been the same about my country. There's also something proper and honest about a truly representative team that hasn't been assembled at astronomical cost and that plays purely to represent it's country.

20. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

<cheers>

clingo likes this.