1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Best seats in the house?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by MassiveAttack, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Last 21 years ST in Dolman block

Growing up was East End boy.

Parkender.

Then Enclosure as I got older.

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

what just half the pitch …………:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I can see me in that photo, not telling you where but honestly I can

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

bottom of e 32

5. RedorDead

Nope

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

.... amongst the Man U fans in the Attyeo?!!!!! <laugh>

AshtonRed likes this.
  7. RedorDead

No but Man U are the reason why I ended up supporting City.
    When I was 6 I told my grandad (mums dad) I liked Man U, he told I didn’t. I repeated to him again when I was 8 and he told my uncle (my dad was not into football) I’m old enough to go to my first City game.
    And off I trotted to watch in the open end.
    Back then there was a bus that ran from the Forest of Dean to Lydney to Chepstow then straight through to AG. So it became a regular thing to go to games.
    Back then it was at the front of the open end as my uncle could stay further back so we couldn’t hear him and his mates swearing.
    Everytime I bump into my uncle at the ground now, I get nostalgic about those days.

8. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

The good thing about re-developing Ashton Gate rather than building that new one is that we have retained the personal history of the place - even though 3 of the old "stands" are not there any more

9. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Started in the east end latter part of the 60’s , I’m always amazed people can remember their first game , opponents and score , I’ve no idea , I was too young to remember, I do remember I used to stand on the railings at the front , behind the goal. Later moved to the back corner by where the singing section is now, there was a small wall in front of a snack bar I seem to remember, stood by the wall.
    Over the years have spent time in the most parts of the ground , couple of seasons in the Atyeo when it was first built , likewise when the roof extended in front of the Williams and seats added spent a couple of seasons there . Spent the first division days in the Dolman and have returned there now.
    I’ve gone upper Landsdown a couple of times upgrading my SC for the dolman , I do like the view although the stairs are a tad challenging,

10. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

The open end is the only part of the ground I have never been, I’ve been in, and even had a ST for the Atyeo , but never went there when it was the open end.

11. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

Aah, the nostalgia!

My first game was at a place called Eastville. It was Easter 1952. My only excuse is that I was only 5 years old but on a brighter note the result that day started me on my journey to be a City fan but that’s another story.

Fast forward to 24th March 1956. My father had been told to take me to the pictures. We were heading got the Gaiety (remember that?). On the bus he suddenly said “shall we go to football instead”. Of course I agreed, excited to be going to my first proper football match (see above!).

I was sat on my father’s shoulders at the back of the South Enclosure. City played Forest and the game ended 0-0. A coincidence that it was Forest as we now live in Notts and our son is a Forest fan.

A couple of seasons later I would go to matches on my own, mostly standing in the open end but in those days it was possible to move at half time so I frequently did.

I became a ST holder when the Dolman was opened. I had the very middle seat in the stand the first season. That proved to be a mistake as I often missed my bus trying to get out. I then moved to row C in the right hand end seat where I remained until I left Bristol in 1975. I still get to as many matches as possible, mostly in the Midlands and London but my son and I were at AG for the Forest match in November.

Thanks for the memories.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

No idea either. Too young to remember my first game and games what I do remember was the noise in the eastend and the smell of tobacco wafting over it. First game I really remember at nine or ten would be pompey due to pompey trying to take the end.

13. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

I can see me too <whistle>

14. RedorDead

Are you the nutter that sits next to me?

15. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

I’m in E32 and their are some loud ones opposite me in E33 who one day will probably collapse with the amount they scream and shout at the officials every 5 minutes

16. RedorDead

E33 for me and no I’m not the loud ones <laugh> first row of the upper section

17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Feel free to copy it - it’s not patented!!!!