1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Biggest Regrets

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Mar 31, 2024.

1. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be to serious.

My biggest never seeing the Stone Roses live. John Squire is absolutely guitar idol.

In 2012/13 tour I was unemployed and didn't have the cash and 2016/17 I didn't have anyone to go with.

2. Wessie Exile

Wessie Exile Well-Known Member

Serious one. Not taking my year in Germany, as part of my German language degree, seriously enough. Just tossing off the work placements the uni worked so hard to get me. Could have been living and working over there now if I hadn't been a daft naive kid

Edelman and greene like this.
  3. tigers1970

tigers1970 Well-Known Member

Going to watch city on Friday against stoke

4. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Being a right stupid twat and giving my Engineering Apprenticeship up.
    Oh yea, getting married twice, should've stayed single, had a lot better time being single. <cheers>

Edelman and TwoWrights like this.
  5. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Deciding to go and work up in Aberdeen. Nothing wrong with the job, just the people I encountered.

Taking my wife to see Queen at Knebworth in 86, she pestered me to take her, even though I knew she wasn't interested in music. Got settled, then she said she was starting with a migraine, so I ended up what seemed miles away with her lying on a bed in a medical tent and listening to Queen from a distance.

Miraculously, she recovered as the show finished and was a bloody nuisance on the way back, talking when I was trying to sleep.

Footnote - We divorced a few years later.

6. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Not having children..... simple as..

7. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

removed some of the superfluous words for you - made more sense then

Idi Amin likes this.
  8. Phinius T Bookbinder

Phinius T Bookbinder Well-Known Member

Selling my business after an armed robbery.

9. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

Football... Not going to the hone game (having been to the duller than dishwater) away game when Duane Darby scored 6 times against Whitby Town in an FA Cup 1st Round Replay in November 1996. Had arranged to go, met in the pub as usual, had a few drinks, then continued drinking instead of going...

Music (a few) though standout was when Oasis played the Adelphi, was a regular at the time, and there was a queue out of the door (unusual) of about 30-40 people, walked up and walked past and went to the pub instead...

There's a theme emerging ;)

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

On the music front, I had a call one night from a mate who had two tickets to see Joe Strummer, asking if I fancied going. It was already quite late, it was pissing down and it wasn’t local, so I declined.

He died a few weeks later and I’ve regretted it ever since.

Howdentiger2 likes this.

11. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

Not starting our investing journey in index funds when we was in our early 20’s

12. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

Not taken up a football scholarship in the USA when I had the chance after being released from city.

Wasting so much money when younger on absolutely pointless things like cars and bikes etc

Not keeping up my fitness levels when I stopped playing, it's really biting me in the arse now in my late 30s with injuries catching up with me and the lack of fitness really not helping

greene likes this.
  13. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Not a regret but, 1969, had the offer to go on the road with Nice, Keith Emerson’s band, as a roadie and roller of very tidy 3-skin joints. Didn’t go but I sometimes wonder how life might have turned out if I had.

14. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

I was released at 16, didn’t play much for a few years. Then when I was 18 I trained with hall rd and brid, realised I’d fallen way behind fitness wise. I walked away because I couldn’t be arsed to sort my fitness out, I regret not trying to get back to that level.
    A few other regrets but not for this board

TwoWrights and Howdentiger2 like this.
  15. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

You don't realise how bad it's got till it's to late ( well I didn't anyway ). I'm 38 but feel 68 with everything that's caught up with me this last year. Once it's sorted and I can actually move properly again. The #1 aim is to sort out my health/weight/fitness.

Geo10 and Gone For A Walk like this.
  16. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

Music - never seeing Fleetwood Mac live

rovertiger and Howdentiger2 like this.
  17. Paul Jewitt

Paul Jewitt Well-Known Member

Thankfully the first band I ever saw live (Tango in the Night tour) and off to see Stevie Nicks later this year. My regret is not seeing Guns and Roses (when Axel could still sing)

18. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

im also seeing stevie at The Hyde park gig in the summer

Paul Jewitt likes this.
  19. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Just a couple of many. Not learning to play the piano as a kid and not accepting the offer to join a Belgian Circus from a guy in the south of France back in 1981. He had seen me in a fancy dress competition and wanted to know if would like to join as a clown.

20. Help!

Help! Well-Known Member

Summer of 1989, late one Saturday afternoon I was sat on the Tube heading back home to Tottenham. It's unusually quiet and there's only 2 of us in the carriage, both minding our own business - me and a black teenage kid and we're separated by the main door / open area bit, maybe 4 or 5 seats on top of that and we're on opposite sides of the carriage.

Anyway, the train approaches the next station and in a manner that I doubt I need to explain on a football forum you could just feel / hear the trouble coming. The train stops and probably 12-15 late teen / early 20s lads get on, already chanting "There ain't no black in the Union Jack". They spy my carriage-mate and as soon as the door closes immediately stand around him singing it over and over again, as well as swinging from the overhead hand loop things and monkey-chanting.

Anyway, I wanted with every part of me to have the balls to go and sit next to him, but I just sat where I was. Thinking about if if I had it might have made it worse insofar as however intimidating they were they never touched him and if I had moved it might have properly kicked off and we'd probably both have had the **** kicked out of us, but he wouldn't have been quite so alone and I still regret not doing it.