1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Binners vs Battlers

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Oct 16, 2017.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

On the Binner's board, Nuggets has given a fair assessment of the game but starts off by referring to Angus as error - prone. I can’t imagine where he has got that from!

Any idea?

2. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Maybe he got confused and it was that fateful backpass to his father.... goes off shuddering at the memory

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Blimey Old Man Gunn has turned into a right tub of lard since his playing days! Too many of Delia's cakes and pies I reckon! <laugh>

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

large.jpg

I'll see your Gunn and raise you an Alan Brazil.:cheesy:

mike555 and johnnywarksmoustache like this.
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

He dropped the ball a couple of times but that was whilst he was being fouled by binners, if they were one eyed enough they probably thought no foul just weak keeping?

In my book the boys doing grand and definitely better than our other options or the Ruddy who

Bah!

6. DUNCAN DONUTS

Gunn will probably keep more clean sheets for us than the last keepers 2 seasons combined .

If someone has a diary handy you can pop that snippet in .<whistle>

7. General Melchett

I can see that but sometimes you need no nonsense, right near the end Reed tried to turn and run the ball out of the box and nearly cost us dearly. Hanley puts that in row Z and the binners try again with us organised.
    And I'm up for any possible improvement to the team, Klose and Zimmermann are doing great together and it is hard to imagine it getting better with Hanley but he is more robust than either of the others and I think might have faired better than either of the others first half against the high balls and crosses. We kept a clean sheet with either pairing but in that first half that was in a big part due to the generosity of the Ipshit forwards.

Bah!

DHCanary likes this.
  8. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I thought this was an interesting point (presumably because I am a massive loser) so checked.

Last season we had 11 clean sheets in the league

Season before we had 5 clean sheets in the league

So far he has 7 and we're not even half way through the season. So he could well get that.

JM Fan, DUNCAN DONUTS and DHCanary like this.
  9. General Melchett

I couldn't be bothered to check but was going to suggest he'd probably beaten the total already! So not quite there but I bet he will be and long before the end of the season at this rate.

Bah!

canary-dave likes this.
  10. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Thoughts -

* First half chances we edged, you however had some good spells of possession and spread the ball nicely.
    * Rightly targeted the right side of us all afternoon, was obvious after 10 mins a gaping gap for you to exploit.
    * Maddison was neat and tidy all afternoon. Played well.
    * As soon as you scored, you soaked it up well and very organised.
    * Second half you stopped Knudsen getting forward.

Overall, I'd say you guys look well equipped to have a good go at top 6 - dare I say it, maybe even top 2. Have to wonder Blades/ Cardiff's staying power. Would imagine Wolves will be there or there abouts.

Perhaps you look a bit shot shy, however have several out injured to come back.

Us - I don't think quite so much doom and gloom and don't buy McCarthy is the worst manager ever. We haven't given him a pot to P*** in yet many are totally unrealistic as to where we're at. We need FFP to come in ASAP which we're trying to adhere to before we have any chance of flourishing.

Until Carrow Road..........

KIO, carrowcanario, JM Fan and 5 others like this.

11. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

First five (5) games we conceded 12 goals. In the last eight (8) we have conceded just 2. What an incredible turn around, and the great thing is, we very rarely look like conceding. But all good things must come to an end. I believe Russ is in contention for tonights match.

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

See today's MTD

13. DUNCAN DONUTS

5-0 Arsenal <laugh>

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

5-1!!! <laugh>

15. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

The Michellin man at rest.

16. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Thanks for the honest words Westy. I think top 2 is a very, very long shot for us. We would need to extend this run by some distance to catch up let alone stay ahead. I agree Wolves look a shoo in, given the spending and the quality in depth they have. Our match at the end of the month, at home where we struggle a bit, will be an interesting test for us. I also think Villa are going to kick on from here and Leeds have a decent squad this season, so it's very competitive.

I agree with you on McCarthy - yes, the football is not pretty but given the lack of spending to have you competing for top six every other season is good going. The trouble is that your supporters' expectations are always going to be, rightly so given history, higher than struggling/competing in the Championship by turns. The thing is McCarthy is an excellent Championship manager who organises well, but organisation only gets you so far. I think Ipswich are probably two flair players who have quality on the ball away from properly competing. I thought Celina looked very bright (but raw, and appreciate he's only on loan). In my view, McCarthy's conservatism is what will sink him - he got a good start out of the team so can afford to roll the dice every now and again for a result by starting the likes of Celina and some of your youth squad. The trouble is every additional loss playing crap football will whittle away that credit.

In January, one or two decent loan signings and maybe actually spending some money on taking a punt on a lower league player and provided you're not way off I could still see you competing for top six. If not, McCarthy has to go. I do think your club is getting very close to being interesting again, especially with the rumours of some quality youth players coming through. <ok>