1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I hope the Wilder -Joshua fight comes off too Denny, it'll be a barn burner. The Joshua - Klitschko and Wilder - Ortiz bouts were a bit lopsided in that we had a couple of younger fighters at their best, against a couple of 39 year old men. We need the champs to clash.

I'm looking forward to the Wilder - Fury fight, but it'll probably be ugly due to Tyson's spoiling tactics. So I hope we get to see Wilder - Joshua soon, it's the one fight we all want.

Deleted....... likes this.
  2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

22 fights- in normal circumstances only now would you be looking to rise in class and fight the world level at your weight. However Joshua has now had a handful of world title fights already, taking in Parker, Klitschko and Povetkin in three of them.

Those are risky fights to be learning in but he has done well in adapting in each fight.

He looked a little unwell to me last night, he was just a tad lethargic early on and looked like he was suffering from fever in the pre fight interview. But he didn't mention anything in the post fight.

I think his scope for improvement is higher than Wilders. However Wilder is the heaviest hitter in the division, which is the danger.

Fury Wilder will be a really odd fight. Not sure how the styles will gel. Will be an interested observer of that one.

Deleted....... and Cyclonic like this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One thing I'm fairly confident about is that Wilder will throw more punches at Fury than Klitschko did. Klitschko was a very wary boxer, afraid of getting hit.

Based on last night's performance I suspect Wilder will put AJ to sleep before he gets going. The longer it goes the more chance it will swing towards AJ. But, if Wilder makes contact early on, he won't let go and it will be a sad ending for AJ. AJ has been exposed but he has got away with it. When someone outreached by 7" can hit him as easily as that alarm bells start ringing. On the positive side, we know Povetkin can hit and AJ took a few beauties. Also no-one has ever put Povetkin on his pants let alone knock him senseless. Maybe AJ's chin is better than we give him credit for?

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. TopClass

To be fair Ron, heavyweight boxing has seen all of the greats KOd.

I’ve said it many times- Ali, Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson, Wlad Klitschko- all absolute warriors of heavyweight boxing in the past 20 years, got knocked out.

I don’t think any of them were chinny per se, it’s just the force of the division- 17 stone hammering you is gonna put you down.

I’d like to see AJ tighter for the wilder fight but the big difference between Klitschko/Povetkin and a Wilder is that the first two had great left hands (particularly the left hook). I don’t think Wilder has that and that’s why I think AJ will step away from the right and the second Wilder is out of position, he’ll stick old spindly legs on his arse

Cyclonic likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who kod Ali Toppy?

6. TopClass

Larry Homes beat him by stoppage? (Well, he beat Ali into retirement as Angelo Dundee pulled him out I think)

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

VK put povetkin down 4 times I believe.

Anyway, I think that AJ is a good heavyweight, but he has pretty much laid his cards on the table In terms of his ability.

Wilder in the other hand is the enigma. He has an X factor that I don't believe AJ has.

Now add Fury in to the mix and it all becomes very confusing. The AJ I saw last night would be played with by Fury and blown away early by Wilder.

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. TopClass

I genuinely think Fury is hyped on one performance versus Klitschko.

Take Klitschko off Joshua’s and Fury’s resume and there’s only one fighter with the form and that’s Joshua.

Fury definitely psyched Klitschko out but of course we never got to see a rematch with an aggressive Wlad. Fury isn’t as fast as people think and Joshua is faster than people think- I think Joshua will blow the hype away- it will only take one opportunity to put Fury away. It would take an unbelievable performance for Fury to go 12 without getting tagged.

But the fact we see it so differently is exactly why boxing is interesting right now! The key thing is getting Fury back on form and getting the fights made!

Cyclonic likes this.
  9. And people moan about how much the boxers get <doh>

Cyclonic likes this.
  10. Dancingbraveforever

What worries me is AJ's lack of good head movement. Plus he is quite stiff with lack of fluidity. These things are only my opinion of course.

He could prove me wrong and blow everyone away. But he reminds me of a classier Frank Bruno..

Cyclonic, Ron, Chaninbar and 2 others like this.

11. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I know jack about the technicalities of boxing but that's exactly how I see AJ. Seemingly a very likeable chap too just like big Frank.
    Edit: AJ is more durable under the big punches too. So not exactly how I see it <laugh>.

Cyclonic likes this.
  12. Dancingbraveforever

To be fair to Big Frank he did go in against some massive punchers.

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep. I think the punches that took out Frank would have probably taken out Joshua and definitely Wilder

Cyclonic likes this.
  14. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

You maybe right. I just seems to remember watching Bruno was a bit of a heart in mouth experience. I so wanted to see the gentle giant do well but was always nervous he was susceptible to one big punch. As someone has already said though at 17+ stone 1 good punch would be all it takes.

Cyclonic likes this.
  15. Denny4

Denny4 Active Member

It was the one and only time Ali was 'stopped' in a fight. It's quite a difficult fight to watch. Ali, who was already showing early signs of Parkinson's was a shadow of his former self and took a real beating. Holmes, who was a former sparring partner of Ali's was almost pleading with the ref to step in whilst pummelling Ali. The fight did eventually end in around the 10th or 11th if my memory serves me correctly. Sadly though it wasn't to be Ali's last fight he went on to fight and lose to Trevor Berbick around a year or so later

Chaninbar likes this.
  16. Denny4

Denny4 Active Member

Billy Joe Saunders has failed a drugs test ahead of his world title defence. What a tool. Very talented boxer but a complete ****ing idiot

17. Denny4

Denny4 Active Member

So he's been cleared of doping as it was a nasal spray that is allowed out of competition. So he went to the Chris Froome school of doping then

Cyclonic likes this.
  18. Cyclonic

The weekend fight in the USA between Joe Joyce and Iago Kiladze.

19. Cyclonic

A rubbish replay, but here's a look at the Nigerian Efe Ajagba, now a resident of the USA. This is his 8th fight. He fought on the same card as Joyce. Comparisons are being made. I think I'd go with go with Efe.

20. Cyclonic

I've always liked Abbott and Costello. The mediator got a bit pissed. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018