1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bradford City Fire 11th May 1985

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Blacker-than-Knight, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blacker-than-Knight

Much is made to remember the Liverpool fans lost at Hillsborough but lets not forget the 56 who died at Bradford on this day in 1985, RIP to those that died and my thoughts go out today to the injured, the survivors and those that lost loved ones that day.

2. nevfur

nevfur Active Member

Very True RIP. A sad day.
    Remember watching the pictures in shock in a club in Yarmouth following our drab end of season nil nil draw at Norwich.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

RIP.
    It's a shame that the 96 are always remembered by the poor souls from the Bradford Fire are rarely.
    I don't even think there will be a minutes silence either.

4. Frank_Pingel_Legend

Frank_Pingel_Legend Active Member

Hard to believe it's 29 years ago.

Newcastle were the luckiest club in the land that the same thing didn't happen to them. Remember the old, wooden west stand? When you think what a tip it was and how many used to light up during games, how it didn't go up in flames is a minor miracle.

5. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Bloody hell, I was at that Norwich game and also went to Yarmouth afterwards on the lash!

6. Dorty Dogbreath

Hillsborough was an accident waiting to happen as well, I almost got squashed in the Leppings Lane end in 1983. The old bill were so inept.

7. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

It's frightening the number of near misses we've had. The old West Stand was a death trap before it eventually went.

I also remember a cup game away to Spurs in 1987 - 12,000 packed into the Park Lane End. How anyone wasn't seriously injured i'll never know. Didn't a crush also nearly happen at Hillsborough the season before?

8. Dorty Dogbreath

I'm not sure Windy but looking back at those terraces where crowds surged forward, it's surprising there weren't more injuries.

9. Sheikh_of_Araby

Aye there were some scary moments.

The Bradford Fire is just as tragic as Hillsborough. It doesn't have as much publicity but when you see the video of it even now it's pretty frightening.

10. Dorty Dogbreath

I watched footage of it recently, I think a bloke tumbles out of the stand and over the advertising hordings while he is on fire. Terrible scenes. Thank god stadia are a lot more safer now.

11. Sheikh_of_Araby

Aye, I watched that yesterday when I heard about the anniversary. The guy was covered in flames. Awful.

Stadiums thankfully are about as safe as you could get them. Still a risk, but compared to those old stands, a different world.

12. Frank_Pingel_Legend

Frank_Pingel_Legend Active Member

Lest we forget ...

[video=youtube;TJ_vG4cHRKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ_vG4cHRKU[/video]

13. nevfur

nevfur Active Member

Yeah, Yarmouth was dead as a doornail yet they still wouldnt let you in anywhere with a geordie accent.

14. lady-eleanor

lady-eleanor Well-Known Member

15. the_gateshead_ninja

the_gateshead_ninja Active Member

no one ever mentions this. I'm 26 and only became aware that it happened last year, by accident, while browsing youtube.

16. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

It is shocking at the snobbery by the f a this deserves to be remembered and learned from just as much as Hillsborough where's Bradford's minute silence? Yes they're not a big club like Liverpool and it's not as popular a city but it doesn't make the lives lost any less of a loss.

17. NewcastleImp

NewcastleImp Member

A terrible,terrible day.I was looking out for the result and could not believe the tragedy that was unfolding.Being a smaller club does not make it any less sad.
    Thoughts go out to those injured phisically and mentally who survived,to the others R.I.P.

18. Sheikh_of_Araby

This should be acknowledged not just because of the tragedy but of the effect it had on football. It produced the Popplewell Report that condemned wooden stands everywhere and finally made clubs wake up to the fact that their grounds were death traps.

19. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Going back to May 1985 it was a horrendous time for football.

Bradford is always too easily forgotten, and when you watch that video it will always be horrendous.

So is Heysel, with its 29th Anniversary on the 29th May.
    One disaster that is completely forgotten about in England, as if didn't happen.
    Actually its seems to be whitewashed from history.
    Also forgotten is the Ibrox disaster.

RIP <peacedove>

20. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. In terms of changing football stadia it had just as big an impact as Hillsborough, if not more, as it also looked at access in and out of grounds for safety, as well as wooden structures. I'm sure I read somewhere that had all of the recommendations of the Popplewell report been implemented immediately (which wasn't practically possible) then Hillsborough probably wouldn't have happened. Very sad.

Thoughts with all the Bradford and Lincoln fans who witnessed it or who's families suffered loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.