1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic BREXIT

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Jun 21, 2016.

?

How will you be voting?

1. Remain

89 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. Leave

104 vote(s)
    53.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I am saying that is a possibility yes
    During the minimum of the 2/3 years that it will take to work through there will be a number of times it could be delayed or defeated in the Commons (theoretically at least) and the bigger issue is that during that time we will all start to see what the actual impact might be, and there would likely be a general election. If there was a growing sense that when more impact is known the decision had been a bad one you could get a party standing with remaining in as a manifesto pledge, and if elected they would have the mandate to reverse the decision, and given the huge majority of MPs in favour of remaining that is at the very least possible

I'll be honest my first post was being deliberately contentious to stimulate debate, I'm not saying I think this will happen, but I do think it is a possibility at least

2. dennisboothstash

Of course this whole referendum is probably a ruse to take our minds off the membership scheme...you heard it here first

3. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

Roughly one third of migrants are from countries outside of the EU. Between 2004 and 2007 the average was over 150k per year. That dropped off as tighter controls came in, but we have a skills shortage we need to train another 50,000 engineers every year or accept skilled immigrants.

Without immigration we will not have a viable NHS, building or manufacturing industries. We need the skills to protect the industries that we have and I would far rather they came from the EU than from outside of it.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It really isn't.

5. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

We already have enough home-grown labour to fill all these jobs if they were educated to a decent standard and had the motivation to do so.

6. clg101

clg101 Active Member

The way I look at the EU referendum is its like a dead end job. You are okay plodding on by and get the occasional crap from the bosses and can just about scrape by from day to day (i.e the NHS, police force etc.). Leaving is like starting up your own business. You are sick of work so you decide to start your own business. very risky with the potential of everything failing (stock markets, fx etc.). But after a few years of hard work, determination, and tight belts, you start to see the rewards and become more prosperous. Im voting out as i see a better future for my children in a country which negotiates its own trade deals and controls its own money, laws, regulations, borders by people WE elect.

SimonGraysJacket and Kempton like this.
  7. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

We do not want to stop immigration. Everyone acknowledges we need immigration. We want to control it. And our own borders.

At the mo we don't and we can't.

You think that Turkey and the other E European countries about to join this free labour movement gravy train will be flooding the UK with skilled engineers and medical professionals?

No, they won't.

SimonGraysJacket likes this.
  8. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Well-Known Member

I've worked for a couple startups that went to **** despite absolute motivation, dedication and sacrifice... quite a risk you're taking for your chidlren.

9. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

This is a myth and immigration needs to be controlled to ensure the correct skills are imported.

10. Wade Wilson

You want evidence to back a remain argument but don't need any when it comes from Gove or Boris? How does that make sense.

And if they have given evidence, what makes their evidence more valid than the remain camp's evidence?

11. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Is it a risk though? When the alternative is living in a Europe controlled by people you don't know, didn't vote for and can't replace?

In a Europe where criminals can come to the UK but we can't send them home?

Where failed economies are propped up, and you pay for this?

Your country does well, pays its taxes, treats people well generally but countries which ar badly run and do not play fairly are subsidised and supported by your cash?

Where national votes are overruled by those people you didn't vote for?

You like that future for your kids more?

Your choice I guess.

12. dennisboothstash

it really is...and even Financial Times writers agree with me

"The relevant legislation did not provide for the referendum result to have any formal trigger effect. The referendum is advisory rather than mandatory. The 2011 referendum on electoral reform did have an obligation on the government to legislate in the event of a “yes” vote (the vote was “no” so this did not matter). But no such provision was included in the EU referendum legislation.
    What happens next in the event of a vote to leave is therefore a matter of politics not law. It will come down to what is politically expedient and practicable. The UK government could seek to ignore such a vote; to explain it away and characterise it in terms that it has no credibility or binding effect (low turnout may be such an excuse). Or they could say it is now a matter for parliament, and then endeavour to win the parliamentary vote. Or ministers could try to re-negotiate another deal and put that to another referendum......."

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-gre...vernment-legally-disregard-a-vote-for-brexit/

13. originalminority

Whether in or out of the EU we need a new policy of educating our young people. If there is a repeated skills shortage in, for example, engineering & medical every year we need to supplement student finance on these university courses to encourage our bright youngsters to fill the shortages and reduce the eternal demand for immigration in these fields.

14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

That's a pretty good analogy and was pretty much the view I was taking, but I've now come to the conclusion that the start-up is likely to be launched with its hands tied behind its back, with the banks limiting funding and all the customers expected to move to the new business not actually doing so.

The EU are bricking it about us leaving and if we do they'll have to make an example of us, or it's likely that our closest ally Sweden will follow us out and the whole thing could come down like a pack of cards. The EU needs us as much as we need them and I'm certain that they'd want a trade agreement in place if we were to leave, but I'm equally certain they'd make us pay through the nose for it.

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The law says they don't necessarily need to accept it, but the reality is they absolutely will and as a consequence, this is an utterly pointless debate.

16. Wade Wilson

Here's some very interesting "scare-mongering and propaganda" from the remain camp. Worth a read if you can be arsed or are on the fence.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/D...perils_of_perception_eu_Final for webpage.pdf

This article was written 3 years ago for those thinking of comparing our model to the Swiss/Norwegians
    http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2013/01/28/uk-eu-euroscepticism-norway-model-swiss-model-efta/

17. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Why not?

18. clg101

clg101 Active Member

This country is loosing its culture, its beliefs and its damn right motivation to be the best country in the world. For centuries we where the leaders in almost every field of industry and medicine, producing the best architects, engineers, doctors, the list goes on. and its crazy how in the last 30-40 years we have lost a whole host of industries, dropping down the league tables in terms of education in comparison to the rest of the world. It may just be a coincidence and i am not for one saying I know everything by a long shot, but it seems to me and i may well be completely wrong, that since we joined the EU trade agreement, it has become financially cheaper to buy from other countries in the EU then to manufacture ourselves. which has caused many industries to decline and in many cases vanish. I would like to see industry in the UK supported by the people of the UK and if that means taxing foreign imports, so be it. When you go to France, they drive french cars, when you go to Germany, they drive German cars, when you come to the UK, we drive whatever car is the most popular without a care in the world who or where it was made.

19. originalminority

Thought we made more cars now then in years, foreign companies but made in British factories. British manufacturing is actually in renaissance.

20. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

Any organisation that thinks it right to let prisoners have a vote gets a big :emoticon-0149-no: from me!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.