1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brexit

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I’ve never agreed with this woman before but I do here. Is she right?

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

It will allow time for any potential deal not to be rushed given that Covid has thrown a big spanner in the works for all parties.

3. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Tbh COVID hasn’t affected it. Jimmy Krankie is playing delay tactics still. The deal is 98% done but if the EU can’t accept that we have left and still want control the other 2% will never get done no matter how much longer they p*** around, COVID or not. Time to end it.

4. AgentofAlnwick

AgentofAlnwick Well-Known Member

Sturgeon is infinitely more capable and coherent than anyone in Johnson's cabinet of thieves and liars.
    Four and a half years since the referendum and every single one of the main brexit players totally discredited.
    "Brexit is easy" (Farage 2016)
    "The cost of getting out would be nil" (Johnson 2016)
    "We hold all the cards" (Gove 2016)
    There's no blame to be apportioned here beyond Johnson. Not the people, not the opposition parties (with the exception of Corbyn), not Sturgeon, not Lord Lucan and not the E.U.

5. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Given up bothering about Brexit. I didn't want it to happen but it has. I now think its inevitable we will go out without a deal and then presumably sort one out at some later stage in time. While this won't be ideal at least companies can plan for the medium term and the impacts that will have, instead of hoping for deal and having no plans in place.

magpie290761 and haslam like this.
  6. AgentofAlnwick

AgentofAlnwick Well-Known Member

A pragmatic, unemotional response and trading businesses need that.
    Not much anyone can do about it as we have 4 more years of these charlatans and the whole Brexit fiasco is too toxic for any political party other than the Tories and whichever new party Farage has created to enrich himself. The Tory twin calling cards are austerity and brexit and it may just see them re-elected in 2024.

JakartaToon likes this.
  7. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably the worst thing about Brexit is how divisive it has been for the country. The number of people who are still banging on about Remoaners and Brexiteers.

I can't help that think though that if it hadn't been Brexit it would have been some other issue that everybody felt obliged to have an unshakeable opinion on due to something they read on the internet.

8. Captainpancakes

Captainpancakes Well-Known Member

The cancel the entire thing ****ing mongos

Tobes likes this.
  9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think the worst thing about the brexit vote was that the result was so bloody close , it’s broken friendships , divided families .

10. Captainpancakes

Captainpancakes Well-Known Member

The worst will be when people realise what they have done

11. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

It isn't going to end well.

The erosion of employment rights will begin next year.

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Employment rights? None in education except the right to resign

magpie290761 and Sheikh_of_Araby like this.
  13. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Employment rights are just the start. Education human to be attacked next.

We will become a satellite state for the US complete with their disregard for people's welfare.

14. Wuffler

Wuffler Well-Known Member

We can all agree that being a member of the European Union and more importantly the single market was never a perfect ride but it has given us relative wealth and stability. That and the influential voice we once had in Europe is about to be eroded.
    The double whammy of Covid and Brexit is creating the perfect storm!
    Hard times ahead in the short term I fear.

15. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

It's an interesting one. I actually don't think they'll be so bold as to make clear changes. Prior to the EU I don't there there was an entitlement to a set number of paid days off (the Holidays with Pay Act 1938 didn't state a number of days) and the normal amount was a couple of weeks. Many people didn't get paid for Bank Holidays (as there was no obligation to do so). Things like maternity rights, paternity rights, parental rights, anti-discrimination laws, etc. came through from being imposed by the EU. Bare in mind that even when the EU told us we had to give rights to pregnant workers we still actually refused until the pregnant women themselves took the UK to the European Courts.

Our past has been one of a country that thinks that the best way to look after employees is to look after the businesses and hope/expect them to pass it on to their staff. This obviously varied a lot.

However, more rights would have come in without the EU over the past 50 years as societal views were changing anyway so it isn't all accreditable to them and the idea they will all be taken away is bordering on fear-mongering. I do think without the EU we'd be more analogous to USA (where they get fewer holidays and have fewer workers rights overall - there's no entitlement to ANY paid days off but most (modal average) get 10 days as opposed to our 28). What will erode, I'd be amazed if it didn't, are the minor rights which can be washed away without people noticing hugely. The length of time you need to be in a job to qualify for basic rights (already increased from one year to two), provision of pay and tax for parental rights, exemptions to the Working-time-Directive (already many companies push for the 72 hour waiver, against the rules/spirit of the directive).

Especially with all that has happened this year I have no doubt the rhetoric will be of "bouncing back" by showing we are willing to work longer hours, for less pay and with fewer benefits compared to our "lazy" European counterparts. We'll then point to the economy improving (how could it not in comparison to where it is!) and ignore the real-term conditions of people of the percentage of the country who are in relative poverty (objectively measured).

16. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

No we can't.

17. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Employment rights? Lol, you want to be grateful you aren't self-employed or work freelance.

18. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

And the right to 53 week's holiday a year!

haslam and Sheikh_of_Araby like this.
  19. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Daily mail readers

20. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

You do realise you can still sack yourself?