1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bristol City FC Every Day

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 1, 2022.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Not sure what I expected, but all a bit uninspiring if I’m honest.. getting used to these press conferences before a game… predictable!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Nigel has to prove himself between now and the end of the season and all the words in the world can't change the fact that since his arrival we haven't improved one single iota. Whatever he inherited has very little to do with the way he has set up the squad and in my books he has more than enough time to sort out our obvious deficiencies, but he has not even got close to shoring up our defence and it's inability to stop crucial mistakes during the last quarter of matches. If I didn't know any better I might think I am watching a reincarnation of the lousy teams of yore that we demanded be fixed in quick order that never did. Year after year we listen to the same old nonsense about how good we will be next time out or what we need to do to fix our shortcomings, and yet here we are again facing a bleak winter hoping for a brighter spring. The only measure of success is in what you achieve and not in what you say, unless of course you are Bristol City.

manxrobin likes this.
  3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I agree in relation to the team performance, but he has achieved a lot in terms of getting the wage bill down and setting us up as a club. Previously we were very short term, now hopefully we’ll change so we aren’t constantly fire fighting and ending up with a lopsided playing staff, many of which were on high wages and long contracts. The last time we had such a clear out under SOD we were relegated, so far he’s avoided that, however as I said in a previous post a manager is ultimately judged on results, so you are right that he has to keep us up this season, if he doesn’t he’ll most likely lose his job.

4. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

We are still to lopsided in the playing staff, more defenders than a GS dream squad, yet we’re still shipping in goals for fun…
    Yes he has trimmed the squad, and ergo wages, but that is all. Our coaches are not noticeably better, arguably worse, the ground and facilities were already in place, so what else has he achieved?

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

6. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

Its not come down a lot ... his ex Leics mates are / were on quite high amounts but new contracts for the academy soaked up the residue

7. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Structure hopefully, but unless results & consistency of the players don't improve considerably soon, then "he would" and "it would" have been a complete disaster IMO.

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It's never nice to get any player injured but was he a shoe in for the squad or one for the future? Whatever his place in the pecking order I wish him well in his return to the team.

10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

11. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

cam pring is a class act better player the de'silva on the left.
    For me a starter with his pace and strength.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

When did we sign this De’silva? Is he Portugese

16. AshtonRed

He must be one of the new ones Pearson is looking at being in <laugh><laugh>

17. realred1952

didnt NP say January was not what he likes to deal in ?... cost/ restrictions on loans etc ...
    who have we actually got we sell for Big money that might not be missed to much in the squad/

18. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Another defender for ffs! Apart from James and King everyone else he has brought in has been a defender, so either he isn’t backing his signings or there is a bigger problem - the coaching!

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  19. AshtonRed

We need central defenders, we’ve lost Baker, & Kalas has been out for 9 months and counting, we’ve also lost Cundy, we’ve bought Atkinson and brought in Naismith & Klose, who now is likely to leave in January. Luckily Vyner has improved hugely or else we’d really be in trouble. Luckily forward wise Semenyo & Conway have come through from the academy and Wells has eventually found his form for us that previously he didn’t. Martin is now a spent force and will need replacing before long.

Red Robin likes this.
  20. realred1952

Wells was never given a chance in my reckoning. NP is better than average as a manager / [head coach] but has shown some poor contradictory skills with man management... says one thing often rescinds it as it suits him.
    I believe in a lot of occassions a player with "so called" limited ability maybe [IN div 1 div2 ] able to up his game in higher quality games. But throughout the year stays with the same club except when they raise their game and play for their national team! So what is different with Championship ? well same as Prem, a squad that ha 2 or 3 teams in it and players sit on the bench "rotated on it or in a few minutes of the game week in week out " .. difficult to explain, but Nakhi has talent .... still ... had talent quite a lot of it, before joining City! and certainlybeen underplayed by NP TILL NOW!

You pay x£m for a player and dont use him ... get one as a reject! from another club for £? and he is the star [ will admit he had his moments but usually at the wrong time ] ...
    I think we have a replacement for Martin ... now need a back up to replace Martins replacement!