1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic But these aren't ruining anything, of course...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Off The Line, Nov 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I have no issue with any individual making as much money as they can, good luck to them.

For me, the far more pressing and unfair issue, is that of global corporations avoiding tax almost altogether.

The two are not completely separate issues, as Bezzos wouldn’t have made quite so much coin had Amazon paid the same rate of tax as all those competing with them.

2. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Agreed
    Obviously I’ve massively oversimplified things to make an over simplified point.
    I do believe though that tax rules globally should change to ensure that it is so high at a level in the 100s of millions that it should make it less likely that some individuals accumulate more than a billion (GBP)
    And of course Govts should manage money better, but ultimately people do have the power to make that happen

Evington likes this.
  3. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Oddly enough just watching a program about the origins of the Chocolate bar, Frys, Cadbury, Rowntrees. They all built the towns and estates surrounding their factories. Many others industries did the same, improving the lot of their workers. Doesn't seem to happen these days.

Remember a program about Apple when they moved into Seattle, got loads of tax breaks to do so but ruined the housing market in the process. Their workers were able to pay above the market rate for housing which drove out the locals. Something like 30% of those living on the streets were in full time employment.

Newlandcasual2 and Edelman like this.
  4. Off The Line

Off The Line Well-Known Member

Or they could pay employees a reasonable share of their earnings. I'm sure there are plenty of Amazon employees who can't afford healthcare in the States.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Amazon, not content with taking over online retail, launched Amazon Healthcare earlier this year. It’s open to any individual or company, but it also covers all their US full time employees.

They seem to look after their US staff better than they do elsewhere, they just upped their starting wage to $18 per hour, which is significantly more than they pay in the U.K.

Edelman and Off The Line like this.
  6. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Ah yes, all those ladies of the night, dodging the logs slithering down Skid Row on their way to the harbourfront ! Remember it well. :emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink:

7. Off The Line

They'd still need a separate cover for emergencies though.

8. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

Would they? Do you know the levels on offer for employees? And let's say they do need extra for emergency....they are still be very well looked after by being given healthcare in the first place, they dont need to offer it. Is also say it's hardly Amazons fault the US healthcare system is the way it is.

9. Off The Line

Yes, I've checked. And yes, they can afford to pay their employees a proper living wage.

10. Howdentiger2

What cover do they provide them then? Is there a deductible? Is it tax deductible? What are the exclusions? and how much should they be paid over the $18 an hour they currently get?

And again...how is it Amazon's fault that the US healthcare system is the way it is? Why should they pay for it and not the US government?

11. THE EXCLUSIVE 10%

THE EXCLUSIVE 10% Well-Known Member

Good thread

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  12. RayVonn

RayVonn Active Member

Did he take it off them at gunpoint? Rob their house? Break into their bank account?
    There are people on here with businesses. Do you think their money once belonged to someone else?

13. Off The Line

I imagine Amazon are quite happy with the healthcare system, as they are now profiting from it.

14. Howdentiger2

Well done for completely ignoring my points and replying with some random nonsense

How dare someone set up a business and make a profit...naughty naughty !

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  15. Off The Line

Your point is irrelevant as employees should have always been able to afford healthcare, because the company can afford it. Instead they choose to offer it themselves as a profitable convenience. It's all back to front to me.
    Staff wellbeing is not given the value that it should have in a civilised, forward-thinking society.

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

There are legal consequences for not paying a legal wage in the UK. Market forces set that value, it's irrelevant to the profit of the business.

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  17. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Where does the US government get money from to pay from healthcare? From taxes on people’s income and on corporations’ income. So if Amazon isn’t paying its way in the US (I’ve no idea if that’s right or wrong) then yes it is partially their fault.

Drew likes this.
  18. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

I consider myself in the low earner bracket.Warehouse work never did pay much and I'm now part-time through personal and age related choice.

I have never seen the need to question millionaires, billionaires or entrepreneurs,they chose a different path in life to me and it paid off.I do wonder sometimes whether footballers and such like need ,or warrant ,the huge amounts they change hands for but recognise the contributions they do make in terms of taxes.

In short,it interests me not what a man takes home on a Friday in his wages,it's not my business,it's his.

19. Howdentiger2

They pay what they legally have to I'm sure, should them and all other giant businesses pay more.. probably yes. But until the laws/rules etc change they can't be slated ( in my opinion ) for playing by the rules and laws and paying as little as they legally can. I'm almost certain no businesses or individuals would ever choose to pay more tax then they had to.

The rules of the game need to change more then the individual people& businesses I'd say.

I just hope the people voting yes for musk to sell of that amount of shares realise the knock on effect that that will have on the markets and everything linked to it. It will almost certainly effect them more then it will If he doesn't do it

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  20. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Did I say he’d robbed anyone at gunpoint, or in any other way? No. I didn’t.

Of course profits anyone with a business make are made of of money that once belonged to someone else though…that’s how businesses work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.